conure constantly hiding over cupboard

kiwiandI

Sep 28, 2016
Israel
Parrots
Kiwi the conure greencheek
so lately my greencheek conure kiwi has grown his flight feathers back and I decided not to clip them, the cage is open and he is free to roam. He spends most of his time up ontop of a large cupboard in the dark where I can't see him, I suspect he only eats when I come home and finally decide it's time for him to get out of there. I hear him sometimes chewing on the wall and today when I got him down he was very weak, he let me touch his wings which he hates and never allows me to, I worry it's because he is sick. I put him in his cage and closed it and he ate tons since.

Why is he acting like that? should I keep him locked up and only let him out sometimes?

Thank you,
the worried mother of Kiwi
:green:

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 40-year-old Patagonian Conure
Wow...........................
He may be eating paint ot who-knows-what up there, I guess.
*I* am no expert, but if I were unable to secure him in a cage when I was not around, well... even if it meant clipping wings, I guess I would.
The Rb is flighted and disobedient. The only way I get him into hiscagde is to toss his fave treat in (a big fat green chile) and he flaps in after it.
Good luck.

P.S.
I'd get an avian vet involved, too, asap!

OP
K

kiwiandI

Sep 28, 2016
Israel
Parrots
Kiwi the conure greencheek
I can close his cage, I just like that he can go anywhere he likes and I thought it wasn't harmful until now, I thought he might be a littler warmer in there since it's winter, I mean it's still warm around here but a lot colder than usual, also that maybe he likes the dark because I leave lights on for him in case there isn't enough from the window, I do it because he screams every time we go to bed and I turn the lights off which I read as stress (do you think it's actually stress?) so I didn't want to leave him alone in the dark when I have to get home a bit later than usual.

I think I'll keep him in his cage for a while, he seems happy, he is ruining some toys right now and his feathers look good and he is a little fatso as well.

BoomBoom

May 2, 2012
Parrots
Boomer (Sun Conure 9 yrs), Pewpew (Budgie 5 yrs), Ulap (Budgie 2 yrs), Eight & Kiki (Beloved Budgies, RIP)
Before modifying the bird (wing clip which I don't agree with for health, mental and emotional reasons), try to modify the home first. I understand those who clip have reasons, but it should be the absolute last resort.

Put objects or deterrents up there to prevent him from perching on the cupboard. Other materials that could work:

- heavy glass jars, vases or cups (I have lots of unused IKEA glass jars. I put it behind couches to prevent boomer from getting to the outlets.

- fist sized stones (I know, weird, but it works. Space it kind of close so the bird will have a hard time landing. It's discreet and cheap. Buy the black 'spa' stones the size of your palm, they sell them in packs everywhere.)

- double sided masking tape (effective but you'd neee to re-apply once or twice a year when adhesive wears out)

- random objects (be creative, as long as it's safe and it blocks, it will work)

Good luck!

Skittys_Daddy

Jan 6, 2014
Lewiston, Maine
Parrots
Neotropical Pigeon - "Skittles" (born 3/29/10)
Cockatiel - "Peaches" (1995-2015) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sammy"
(1989-2000) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sandy"
(1987-1989) R.I.P.
I never leave Skittles unsupervised so when I leave he goes back in his cage. But I'm never gone for more than a few hours.

He does have places he likes to land that he's not supposed to- including the cupboard doors and the curtain rods. I just redirect him when he does that. If it persists, I put him in a quick time-out.

Conures are naturally very curious and they will go exploring. When I was having major behavioral issues with Skittles I simply modified my routine and surroundings and that pretty much resolved most of the problems as far as that goes. Think of it this way, when you have a baby/toddler you have to 'baby proof' the house. Same goes with birds who are free-flighted. Anything they can get access too and shouldn't- should be moved to a safer place or made so access is restricted.

Skittys_Daddy

Jan 6, 2014
Lewiston, Maine
Parrots
Neotropical Pigeon - "Skittles" (born 3/29/10)
Cockatiel - "Peaches" (1995-2015) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sammy"
(1989-2000) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sandy"
(1987-1989) R.I.P.
I might also suggest maybe setting up some 'play areas' around the place that are safe for him. Skittles has at least one in every room of the house so that no matter where I am, he has a 'safe place'. I'm lucky in that he won't leave my line of sight for any time more than a few seconds. 99% of the time when he is out (which is whenever I am home, which is most of the time) he likes to be near me and he follows me everywhere. While that does get annoying, it also makes supervising him much easier.

Most Reactions

Latest posts