Conure dipping pellets

Sasha2

Mar 11, 2013
Midwest
Parrots
Sun conure , greencheek conure
I have to agree.I tried putting water bowl opposite ends and its was sad to see her struggle across the cage with her pellets or whatever.I finally just realized its one of her quirks and I get to clean up after it.

thermodynamic

Apr 13, 2012
Stillwater, MN
Parrots
Rosie = Rescued Pineapple GCC,
Rusty = bought Cinnamon GCC,
Scooter = bought Normal GCC,
Tybbi MacGuyver = Rescued Blue Crown Conure
My fids do that as well. It's cute.

Some also bathe in their water...

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
Some birds can cut their tongue, or sometimes even get their tongue stuck with water bottles, I personally never recommend them.

I've never heard about that either! Good to know, thanks!

tokensmom

Jan 24, 2013
Parrots
GCC...TOKEN
Yeah...Tokens water has always been on the opposite side of the food dish...i think he enjoys the challenge of making his way from food to water dish.

Abigal7

Jun 17, 2012
United States of America/ Kansas
Parrots
Captain Jack (Hahn's macaw)

Clover (green cheek conure)
Clover (my green cheek conure) will dip pellets in her water. I am fine with it and do not mind that I have to change the water more then once a day. I never tried water bottles and to be honest I would be afraid my bird wouldn't or couldn't drink from one.

Last edited:

goalerjones

Oct 24, 2011
Parrots
Hahn's macaw, RIP George, Jenday Conure
couple of things, first water bottles need to be checked daily to be sure the roller is functional, and second, why not place a second designated dipping waterbowl next to the pellets, and keep the other one separate? they sell little plastic mountable water dishes.

OP
C

cthulhus_minion

Jan 28, 2013
Arkansas
Parrots
Blue Crown Conure
I know this is an old thread but I am just doing an update. Putting a designated dipping bowl worked well. She has been dipping in the one bowl and she also has a clean water bowl too. I change both daily too.

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
Glad you were able to figure something out! And haha! That's too cute!

Rufio850

Apr 12, 2013
NC
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure
My green cheek does it every day. I have tons of videos. You should watch your bird eat, it is actually very interesting. Mine drops his pellet in the water, then breaks it in half on the rim of the water bowl. half goes in his mouth the other half (since its moist) sticks to the bowl for him to grab after he is done with the 1st half piece. then he grabs the 2nd and eats it. I enjoyed watching him eat. There is nothing wrong with what they are doing. My conure loves soft food, he only eats mashed veggies and really juicy fruit (grapes, oranges). Every bird personality is different. Enjoy their uniqueness! lol

WharfRat

Jul 3, 2012
Central Tx
Parrots
2 Bolivian Green Wings-ReaRea & Miri,
2 Yellow Naped 'Zons- Shiloh & Halo,
Hahn's Macaw-Kalani
I'm really responding to the 1st post, water should be refreshed DAILY, AM and PM is best. Thats how my breeder does so we do the same.

Most Reactions