Conure nesting questions

Feb 19, 2024
Parrots
Conures
I’m struggling to find solid answers to a few of my questions via google and was hoping to get better answers from real bird owners from experience; mainly surrounding nesting and hatching just so I have some more education on hand!

How long after do GCC generally begin incubating their eggs? Can they begin to incubate prior to completing their clutch even by a day or two or is the general rule of thumb after all eggs have been laid?

How long can they stay off their eggs for breaks during incubation?

Does anyone hand feed the babies at some point in time or do you generally let the parents do it all until they fledge?

Do you trim the babies wings to improve their flight as they learn/grow?

Can a female sit on eggs without a male?(once unsure fertile& growing)

Thanks for helping me learn more!

Vampiric_Conure

May 16, 2022
Media
Albums
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Parrots
Charlie (M) - 23 yrs - Peach Front Conure
Redshift (M)-22yrs - normal Cockatiel
Moon (M) - 2 ys - wf pied cockatiel
Chara (F)- 1 yr - wf pied cockatiel
I’m struggling to find solid answers to a few of my questions via google and was hoping to get better answers from real bird owners from experience; mainly surrounding nesting and hatching just so I have some more education on hand!

How long after do GCC generally begin incubating their eggs? Can they begin to incubate prior to completing their clutch even by a day or two or is the general rule of thumb after all eggs have been laid?

How long can they stay off their eggs for breaks during incubation?

Does anyone hand feed the babies at some point in time or do you generally let the parents do it all until they fledge?

Do you trim the babies wings to improve their flight as they learn/grow?

Can a female sit on eggs without a male?(once unsure fertile& growing)

Thanks for helping me learn more!
I used to breed Green Cheeks. GGC will generally incubate their eggs for 18-21 days. They'll sit roughly when the second or third egg is laid. During incubation, they're off the eggs for about 1 hour max. Most birds I found liked to sit, then come out for a poop and snack, but were back in right away. Things might be different with your pair(s).

Hand feeding is the same as cockatiels. Pull at 18-21 days. I never trimmed by babies wings, as they need to learn to fly, and that included learning how to avoid windows, walls and other obstacles :) . And yes, the female can incubate without a male :D

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Welcome friend Jake. Breeding parrots is hard enough when the parents properly sit and raise and wean the babies. Many times they do not, especially first few clutches. Make sure you are prepared to take over should that happen. Rearing and weaning baby chicks is not for the faint hearted, what with the 4 hr, 24/7 feeding schedule, keeping them at the right temperature, even just feeding a baby chick can go horribly wrong if you are not experienced. Do your homework here and on other trust worthy sites. :)

Most Reactions

Latest posts