Conure No pellet diet

Keeko128

Apr 2, 2023
Parrots
Sun Conure
Hi, Does anyone feed a no pellet/processed food diet to their conure? Only seeds/grains/veggies/fruits? I'm looking for more in depth info. Thanks in advance!

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur momā€™s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
Hi, Does anyone feed a no pellet/processed food diet to their conure? Only seeds/grains/veggies/fruits? I'm looking for more in depth info. Thanks in advance!
Honestly, I would advise having at least some pellets to save you some money. If you want a 100% All natural diet, you could look up the specific conure speciesā€™ wild diet and buying all the foods in the diet. Pellets can offer the proper nutrition that can balance the diet out when paired with seeds, fruits, and vegetables. The pellets often have the added vitamins, minerals, and acids needed. It will save you some money for sure!

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
I have recently adopted this approach, especially over the 2 months.

I have a mixed flock, 4 budgies, 3 tiels, 1 Quaker and 1 green cheek.
They all eat virtually pellet free diets. Sometimes I sprinkle Caitec over fresh bites because they think theyā€™re treats šŸ¤­
The important thing is having the diet consist of 50% of veg or more. I would say have at least 10 different ranging in color veggies. I aim for 2 dark greens, 2-3 orange veg and then as many other as I can get ahold of.
I think sprouts are also crucial, I do a ratio of 1 part chop to 2 parts chop.
I give them each a portioned amount of high quality dry seed, given in between their breakfast if chop and dinner of half chop/Birdie bread.

I also feed Birdie bread, made with bird safe flour like coconut or almond and then loaded with veggies and herbs.
Herbal teas or dried flowers are beneficial too, if your bird wonā€™t drink the tea, just sprinkle the flowers/herbs on top.

I think pellets are for people with simply donā€™t have enough time to make chop and feed it daily.
I just think even the best pellets are lacking in quality.
Unfortunately you arenā€™t going to find many, if any articles or research papers on pellet-less diets for parrots.

Just my experience and opinion šŸ˜Š

OP
Keeko128

Keeko128

Apr 2, 2023
Parrots
Sun Conure
Honestly, I would advise having at least some pellets to save you some money. If you want a 100% All natural diet, you could look up the specific conure speciesā€™ wild diet and buying all the foods in the diet. Pellets can offer the proper nutrition that can balance the diet out when paired with seeds, fruits, and vegetables. The pellets often have the added vitamins, minerals, and acids needed. It will save you some money for sure!
Thanks for your thoughts :) I've definitely already done a ton of research lol just trying to get some additional input from others especially since there's not much out there in terms of specifics for no pellet diets.

OP
Keeko128

Keeko128

Apr 2, 2023
Parrots
Sun Conure
I have recently adopted this approach, especially over the 2 months.

I have a mixed flock, 4 budgies, 3 tiels, 1 Quaker and 1 green cheek.
They all eat virtually pellet free diets. Sometimes I sprinkle Caitec over fresh bites because they think theyā€™re treats šŸ¤­
The important thing is having the diet consist of 50% of veg or more. I would say have at least 10 different ranging in color veggies. I aim for 2 dark greens, 2-3 orange veg and then as many other as I can get ahold of.
I think sprouts are also crucial, I do a ratio of 1 part chop to 2 parts chop.
I give them each a portioned amount of high quality dry seed, given in between their breakfast if chop and dinner of half chop/Birdie bread.

I also feed Birdie bread, made with bird safe flour like coconut or almond and then loaded with veggies and herbs.
Herbal teas or dried flowers are beneficial too, if your bird wonā€™t drink the tea, just sprinkle the flowers/herbs on top.

I think pellets are for people with simply donā€™t have enough time to make chop and feed it daily.
I just think even the best pellets are lacking in quality.
Unfortunately you arenā€™t going to find many, if any articles or research papers on pellet-less diets for parrots.

Just my experience and opinion šŸ˜Š
Wow what a beautiful flock you have. :)
Thank you so much for all the details!! I agree that pellets are lacking in quality and have done a ton of research on each grain, seed, veggie and fruit individually because there has been nothing coming up in my research that gives specifics on pellet-less diets. Every website I've checked out pushes pellets as a very high percentage of their daily intake.
I'm definitely going to be doing chop. How do you store yours? and how much for each serving?
How long do you leave the chop in their cage for?
Do you have a specific Birdie bread recipe that's a favorite for your conure?

Thank you again for all the info, I really appreciate it!

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
Wow what a beautiful flock you have. :)
Thank you so much for all the details!! I agree that pellets are lacking in quality and have done a ton of research on each grain, seed, veggie and fruit individually because there has been nothing coming up in my research that gives specifics on pellet-less diets. Every website I've checked out pushes pellets as a very high percentage of their daily intake.
I'm definitely going to be doing chop. How do you store yours? and how much for each serving?
How long do you leave the chop in their cage for?
Do you have a specific Birdie bread recipe that's a favorite for your conure?

Thank you again for all the info, I really appreciate it!
Of course ā˜ŗļø
I store mine in the freezer. I scoop some into freezer bags then press them out flat for easier thawing. Then I set out a bag to thaw and fill and ice tray with it and refreeze.
I donā€™t let the chop thaw out all the way when putting it in the ice tray, just enough to work it into the cubes.
Each bird gets around a 1-2 teaspoons, it just depends on how much they want. If you give them too much they can just eat what they want.
I leave it in the cage for about 2 hours then remove.
Hereā€™s my recipe, you donā€™t have to use pellet powder as the flour, Iā€™m just using coconut and almond flour now.
I also make a few other breads Iā€™ll eventually post one here too.

OP
Keeko128

Keeko128

Apr 2, 2023
Parrots
Sun Conure
Of course ā˜ŗļø
I store mine in the freezer. I scoop some into freezer bags then press them out flat for easier thawing. Then I set out a bag to thaw and fill and ice tray with it and refreeze.
I donā€™t let the chop thaw out all the way when putting it in the ice tray, just enough to work it into the cubes.
Each bird gets around a 1-2 teaspoons, it just depends on how much they want. If you give them too much they can just eat what they want.
I leave it in the cage for about 2 hours then remove.
Hereā€™s my recipe, you donā€™t have to use pellet powder as the flour, Iā€™m just using coconut and almond flour now.
I also make a few other breads Iā€™ll eventually post one here too.
Thank you!!!
Trial and error I guess when it comes to the amount lol.
I've read so many responses to how long people leave chop in ranging from 2 hours like you said all the way to 8 hours. Definitely don't want any bacteria to form.

Thank you for the link...can't wait to try it..both coconut and almond flour sound delicious.

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
Thank you!!!
Trial and error I guess when it comes to the amount lol.
I've read so many responses to how long people leave chop in ranging from 2 hours like you said all the way to 8 hours. Definitely don't want any bacteria to form.

Thank you for the link...can't wait to try it..both coconut and almond flour sound delicious.
I think the amount of time you can leave chop in the cage varies by the environment. Some days I leave it 3-4 hours.
The coconut flour smells divine! šŸ˜

OP
Keeko128

Keeko128

Apr 2, 2023
Parrots
Sun Conure
I think the amount of time you can leave chop in the cage varies by the environment. Some days I leave it 3-4 hours.
The coconut flour smells divine! šŸ˜
Makes sense

I bet it does! Can't wait to make it.

Thank you again for all the info

Keet_Krazy

Feb 19, 2023
Parrots
Budgies:
Obsidian (M), Snowflake (F), Sunbeam (F), Emelia (F, English), Alinta (F, Bush), Mahlee (M, Bush), Moonstone (M)
Galah:
Quarter (Not DNA'd)
Other:
Quail and Chickens
I am surprised you haven't been able to find much info. I've seen this group recommended to people who want to try no pellet diets.
Have you also tried reading a bit about Eclectus diet? Of course they're a different species, but I am sure you could learn some things that you can implement for your conure.

OP
Keeko128

Keeko128

Apr 2, 2023
Parrots
Sun Conure
I am surprised you haven't been able to find much info. I've seen this group recommended to people who want to try no pellet diets.
Have you also tried reading a bit about Eclectus diet? Of course they're a different species, but I am sure you could learn some things that you can implement for your conure.
I'm new to this site and have been using the search feature but still reading through a lot of it.
I haven't come across the FB group so thank you for giving me that link. I already put in my request to join.
I've read A LOT but I was looking for specific info from others here that have the experience/first hand knowledge already to hopefully learn more and incorporate some of that.

Thank you again for the link and your input.

Most Reactions