Conures, And Hurricanes

andytall

Aug 6, 2011
North carolina
Parrots
Green cheek conure- Kiwi
I have noticed kiwi has been very of eadge for the past couple days...... I was thinking it had to do with Hurricane Irene. We live right on the east coast in NC and are spose to get hit tomorrow. I really dont want him to be frightend. is it part of the instinct to hide when there is a bad storm.... should I put him in the middle of the house to keep him calm. What should I do? :11:

merlinsmom13

Jul 27, 2010
Beckley, WV
Parrots
Merlin a Red Crowned Amazon
I think having him away from windows a good idea. I would also keep his travel cage or a pillowcase in case of emergency evac. Have some toys/food/1st aid packed so you can just grab it.

Just go about your day showing him how calm you are, talk to him, be relaxed. He can tell if you're faking. lol You may cover him & see if it relieves his anxiety. Some birds feel more secure when they are covered in their cage.

Good luck & stay safe.

mele

Jul 26, 2011
California
Parrots
Lotty- Umbrella Cockatoo,
Scarlet- Scarlet Macaw,
Paco- Lilac Amazon, Josh-blue front amazon
I was wondering if the birds were showing signs of anxiety. My babies get very nervous with quakes and it probaby doesnt help that im going crazy looking for their emergency kits and putting there travel cages together. I guess just make sure your prepared and try to stay calm.

Stay safe

OP
A

andytall

Aug 6, 2011
North carolina
Parrots
Green cheek conure- Kiwi
Thanks so much. I got the travel cage ready, First aid kit, and plenty of food. Nw that I have him on my shoulder he is calming down. Thanks

JensFlock

Jul 31, 2011
South Carolina
Parrots
Eclectus,
Blue Crowned Conure,
Quaker,
Lineolated Parakeet,
Diamond Dove,
Star Finch,
Spice Finch
I'm near the hurricane area, but we're getting mostly rain and a lot of wind. My boys seem ok with it, but I'm making sure that I'm calm. They tend to watch me to see if everything is ok.

Most Reactions