Convenient Veggies

nofearengineer

Sep 8, 2010
Parrots
Gandalf - CAG (1997-2010) R.I.P. my baby boy.
Bitty - CAG (2 yrs old? and working on spoiling her rotten)
Tonight, I tried out a broccoli slaw mix I got at the store already shredded up. It has red cabbage, broccoli, and carrots in it.

I microwaved it for about 30 seconds just to soften it up a bit. (The red cabbage turns blue!)

Bitty gave it her seal of approval (15 minutes of silence while she stuffed her beak).

When I am rushed, and don't have a lot of time to cut up a bunch of vegetables for her, I think this will be a big hit. I always worry she doesn't get enough green vegetables. (All she seems to want is BANANAS! ;))

HRH Di

Jan 9, 2010
Media
McKinney, TX
Parrots
Max - Alexandrine, Jade - Red-Front Macaw, Ruby - CAG
Maxi-Max loves broccoli slaw! The girls are kind of luke warm on it. Ruby likes the crinkle cut carrot discs that we get sometimes. She'd prefer crinkle cut fries, but since she can't have those, the carrots will do.

AmazonServant

Jun 24, 2011
Sounds good! I keep pushing the baby carrots on my girl because they're so convenient to give her, but she seems to think they are toys to be thrown around and will only take more than a bite or two if they have some kind of dressing on them. I find frozen green beans to be pretty convenient.

Rio Mom

Apr 7, 2011
Pennsylvania
Parrots
River - Green Cheek
Conure/
Pepper - Congo African Grey/

Rest in Peace Rio
I will have to look for some of that slaw. Frozen veggies work great for convenience, and that they don't spoil quick like fresh. Today River had some frozen peas, he really seems to like them. I put a little bit in a coffee cup, add a little water and mic for a minute.

Lokums

Jun 25, 2011
Colorado Springs, CO
Parrots
B&G, Senegal
I buy store bought mixes on occasion. My only problem with them is I don't always know all the ingredients. They way I see it is it doesn't matter who does the chopping, as long as the birdies eat their veggies. :)

Mike

Amber

Jun 1, 2011
If your short on time, frozen peas, carrot and corn mix! Sometimes you can get it with beans and broccoli in it too. Can't go wrong. Just thaw some out like Rio said :)

I'm getting myself into the habit of cutting up enough fruit/veg for 3 days and putting it in a little container in the fridge. That way all I have to do is rinse Alex's food and water bowls in the morning with hot soapy water (and rinse) and fill them up!

I made a batch up tonight, this time it had peas carrot and corn mix, red bell pepper, mandarin and celery. I always put different things in different batches, the one before this was full of apple and mango and strawberries! I make sure to use within 72 hours. I mark the lid with the day and time I made it up. If you can find half an hour every 3 days to make up a batch you should give it a shot. Makes those mornings when your rushing to uni or work much less stressful!

OP
nofearengineer

nofearengineer

Sep 8, 2010
Parrots
Gandalf - CAG (1997-2010) R.I.P. my baby boy.
Bitty - CAG (2 yrs old? and working on spoiling her rotten)
Another trick I learned for keeping cut veggies fresh while running a restaurant:

Cover the veggies in cold water with some lemon juice in it. It will keep most veggies from browning for up to a week.

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
I am going towards more frozen veggies because I end up wasting so much of the fresh. The broccoli slaw was wasted. My birdies no liked. Lucky you Norf, Bitty must not be a picky eater.

Most Reactions