Conversations with Tsali

Tsali

Jul 22, 2016
Parrots
Tsali - African Grey- I am a one parrot parent. It's a full time job keeping Tsali healthy and happy.
Hubby and I find ourselves "conversing" with Tsali as if he were human and understands all we say to him. We also answer his queries such as "What you doing", "How are you", etc. He has learned that when we walk towards the back door and open it we are leaving (mostly just to go into the garage for something) and he says bye-bye and of course we answer him.

He is so amazing. I believe that by-bye means to him that we are going out of his sight. At night when we cover his cage, we tell him good night ad he says he says bye-bye and good night. If we are late covering him up or if he just wants to go to bed early he starts saying bye-bye, good night.

In the morning it's hello, Hello, HELLO!

I know that he has "learned" from us talking to him and listening to us talk, but when he asks "What you doing?" or "How are you?" and the infection in his voice indicates he is REALLY asking a question, I can't help but wonder just how much he understands.

LOVE THAT BIRDIE!

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
Sounds amazing. How old is your Grey ?

LeaKP

Aug 11, 2014
Media
South Africa
Parrots
Congo African Grey
Greys are sooo awesome! Nigel is the same, we talk to him, answer questions, and he sometimes replies in kind. Love these attitudinal grey fluffs.

OP
Tsali

Tsali

Jul 22, 2016
Parrots
Tsali - African Grey- I am a one parrot parent. It's a full time job keeping Tsali healthy and happy.
Sounds amazing. How old is your Grey ?

Tsali hatched Feburary 14th 2015, so he just turned two. We have been part of his life since about two weeks after he hatched. We visited him regularly at the breeder until he came home in May.

OP
Tsali

Tsali

Jul 22, 2016
Parrots
:35::eek: Tsali doesn't bite very often, but sometimes just BEFORE he does, he will say, "Ouch! Don't bite me!"

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
I'll bet you are familiar the late Alex the Grey as mentored by Dr. Irene Pepperberg. He was the gold standard by which the intellect of parrots can be trained and assessed.

Billdore

Nov 12, 2016
Vermont
Parrots
African Grey Timneh
Sometimes I"m speechless and stop and wonder if that really happened. Last night Timneh was running all around on my arms and shoulders. So I asked her if she was in a trouble making mood. With a low raspy yes and a Hahahaha as she ran back up my arm sure made me think slow but sure I'm the one being trained here. Love the email address idea that's great!

OP
Tsali

Tsali

Jul 22, 2016
Parrots
Scott, I am familiar with the Alex studies. I haven't read "Alex and Me", but I did read a paper that Dr. Pepperburg wrote detailing some of her work with Alex. INCREDIBLE! It saddened me to see a pic of Alex, sitting on a perch in the lab, a sad looking plucked Grey. I feel certain that he was taken care of in the best way possible, but when I saw that pic it burned a very sad memory in my mind. Alex was incredible and it was a tragedy that he died do young.

OP
Tsali

Tsali

Jul 22, 2016
Parrots
Hillside, that is awesome. I KNOW that they understand the meaning/concepts of far more than we could ever imagine.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Scott, I am familiar with the Alex studies. I haven't read "Alex and Me", but I did read a paper that Dr. Pepperburg wrote detailing some of her work with Alex. INCREDIBLE! It saddened me to see a pic of Alex, sitting on a perch in the lab, a sad looking plucked Grey. I feel certain that he was taken care of in the best way possible, but when I saw that pic it burned a very sad memory in my mind. Alex was incredible and it was a tragedy that he died do young.

The book was melancholy; a superstar bird enrolled in a long-duration study, but sadly his life was far too short.

DRB

Jan 23, 2016
Ohio
Parrots
Perjo - Female CAG hatch Nov 2015
The limited reading I have done on Alex and Irene leads me to believe that bird was not as happy as one might assume. Extrememly intelligent, a nice bird, but my guess is that bird was slightly worn out from the extended regiment of its life.

OP
Tsali

Tsali

Jul 22, 2016
Parrots
The limited reading I have done on Alex and Irene leads me to believe that bird was not as happy as one might assume. Extrememly intelligent, a nice bird, but my guess is that bird was slightly worn out from the extended regiment of its life.

Kinda what I figured looking at the short video clips of Alex and reading about his daily regime.

Most Reactions