Cook, portion + freeze (My recipe)

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
I think what I had in there was a sprout mix by Parrot Sprouts And More, which appears to be out of business? Owner was Bruce.

Here's what the sprout mix looked like dry
SP.jpg

I've also used a sprout mix that my local parrot store uses... although he has his food vendor make up the sprout mix specifically for him...

sprouts.jpg

Here's a different batch I had made without sprouts... dubbed "Kitchen Sink"

KS.jpg

OP
J

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Thank you for your input, MonicaMC.

I'll stick with my mix, thank you very much. :) It's been approved by my avian vet.

ruffledfeathers

Aug 23, 2012
Media
NJ
Parrots
Gilbert Oliver, Blue Crown Conure; Georgie, Sun Conure (2/8/01-8/8/12) RIP little girl; Percy, budgie 1993-1999. RIP Pepito-spanish timbrado canary
My bird also enjoys the same foods (it's kind of how i eat anyhow as a vegetarian, but i do sometimes cook a few portions at a time just for the birds). I'm wondering....my Gilbert ADORES brussels sprouts and any kind of cabbage. Anyone else have a bird like that? Georgie hated it.

aliray

Jan 28, 2012
Rotonda West , Fla
Parrots
yellow sided green cheek conure,Chiquita Quaker parrot Sweetie Pie, African red bellied parrot Tiki, spanish timbrado canary Lucas
All of my birds like brussle sprouts and cabbage. At walmart and also the grocery store I buy bags of angel hair cabbage which is just a very fine sliced cabbage. Take some outfor the birds and fry the rest for my husband .even the canary likes it. Yesterday I peeled and chopped Some rutabaga to cook with Tiki to help and she loved it raw in a peeled chunk. Just keep trying all different types of veggies and fruits and it is amazing the things they like:)

ruffledfeathers

Aug 23, 2012
Media
NJ
Parrots
Gilbert Oliver, Blue Crown Conure; Georgie, Sun Conure (2/8/01-8/8/12) RIP little girl; Percy, budgie 1993-1999. RIP Pepito-spanish timbrado canary
Yes, my canary really pigs out on the fresh veggies too. I'm amazed how much he can eat for such a tiny little guy.

OP
J

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Oh yes, brussels sprouts are a HUGE hit with my 3 babies. And it's kind of funny, because they seem to be the ONLY ones enjoying them tremendously other than me. I admit..Brussels Sprouts in a human (<--me) leave some negative side effects. :eek: But they are SO healthy....GULP.

Did I say too much? :52:

The recipe I wrote really leaves endless options WIDE open. Add steamed sweet potatoes, zucchini, chopped raw or steamed broccoli, chopped collard greens (VERY VERY healthy for both fids AND humas ;) ), chopped dandelions (available at farmer's markets here), etc. etc. etc.

It all boils down to this: Try and make it as easy and as much fun as possible. And when you see your fids enjoying the trouble you went through ---- OH what a GREAT feeling that is. :)

WannaBeAParrot

Jul 5, 2012
Media
SE Florida and Sullivan County, NY
Parrots
Cody-Blu, female Blue-Crowned Conure, Hatched - (approx) June 1, 2014, in a South Florida tree.

Pritti (Cherry-Head Conure) -- Fly in Peace my beautiful boy. Forever I'll love you.
Could you kindly tell me why the beans should be cooked separately?

I've been making this recipe for 13 years, and have never had a problem.

I feed this twice a day, morning and evening, just about 3 tablespoons for the Amazons, and about 5 tbsp for my Macaw.

Wendy,
About how much of your fids' daily intake is usually the mix? I'm going to make a (much smaller) batch for Pritti and me. It looks yummy.

I'm wondering about the boiling time -- does it come out to "human food" softness, or is it more chewy. I ask because usually when I cook soaked beans or brown rice they take 60+ minutes and 50+ minutes respectively. Dry beans usually take longer for me to get soft.

P.S. I don't think there is anythig unhealthy about cooking the foods together. I think it might be more of a recommendaiton for recipes because each of the foods would need a different cooking time for each to be at their optimal "human" recipe firmness. Also, for sure, I know that if there was any kind of acidic item in there, like tomatoes or vinegar, that it would stop the absorption process of the beans and they wouldn't soften much. This is a good beany link Cooking Tips - The Michigan Bean Commission

OP
J

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
The beans are pretty soft after I'm all done. I've upped the cooking time a bit, too. :)

The Amazons get 2 tbsp. in the morning and 2 tbsp. in the evening, and the big Macs get double that. I warm it up for them, and they love it. :)

THANK YOU for the link!!!

Lindylou277

May 3, 2012
FL & NH
Parrots
Coqui, 9 yr old female B/G Macaw
I'm confused. You cook everything and then rinse it? Is their any flavor or nutrition left? Why all the rinsing? Clearly I'm missing something here either in my knowledge base or my cooking skills!! Thank you.

OP
J

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
I'm confused. You cook everything and then rinse it? Is their any flavor or nutrition left? Why all the rinsing? Clearly I'm missing something here either in my knowledge base or my cooking skills!! Thank you.

Yes, Linda, I rinse it because the beans leave quite a mess once they are cooked. AND I use bottled water for the final rinse because Jersey water is so very, very nasty. :)

June2012

Apr 12, 2015
Southern California
Parrots
Still on that mission, but looking for my mushy! <3
Instead of boiling it, you could buy a cheap rice pressure cooker. Go to any Asian store like Kim's Home Center. It's the BEST for Korean appliances, blankets...Korean anything! Excluding food, but everything is there. I eat rice on the daily as I'm Korean. RICE FOR THE WORLD. Anyway, cook your rice and beans in there. The rice will last forever! It won't be as soft as the first time you cook it, but heck, it still tastes good to me!

There's also a bean called the red bean. I know that we eat it as a dessert and it can actually be very sweet! (Beans as a dessert, WUT?!) I don't know if it has the same properties as other beans, but I'd exercise caution. But I think that if you cooked and washed everything properly, just the boiling and pressure would make the toxins go away, no?

OP
J

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
I actually have a rice cooker. However, the amount of food I make won't all fit in that cooker, so I resort to one of my biggest pots instead. :)

4dugnlee

Apr 27, 2014
Ohio
Parrots
Sassy - 13 y.o. Blue Front Amazon, Cisco - 6 y.o. Sun Conure, Peanut - 8 y.o. U2
Fred - 2(?) y.o. Cockatiel, Ginger - 3 or 4(?) y.o. Cockatiel
I am going to try this recipe. Very good details and explanation! Thank you much!!

June2012

Apr 12, 2015
Southern California
Parrots
Still on that mission, but looking for my mushy! <3
I actually have a rice cooker. However, the amount of food I make won't all fit in that cooker, so I resort to one of my biggest pots instead. :)

I must've underestimated the amount of food you make... And I seemed super hyper in that post, sorry about that. :p

anita1216

Jun 18, 2014
Detroit
Parrots
2 Pacific Parrotlets
1GCC
1 CBC
1 BROWN NECK POI (CAPE)
1 COCKATIEL
1 SENEGAL
I generally make chop twice a month, we currently have 6 littles (the biggest being a senegal, the smallest 2 parrotlets)

I use corn, peas, carrots, beets, radish, red/yellow peppers, cauliflower, broccoli, water cress, kale, turnip greens, jalapeno and occassionally habanero.
there is also butternut squash (I buy frozen organic because its a pain fresh), zucchini, sweet potato or whatever veggies that are safe and in season. Michigan leaves alot to be desired in the cold months as far as produce.

I cook quinoa and add this to the finely chopped veggies. I dont give my birds pasta or rice, no real reason, just never have.

I also sprout seeds for them and my senegal loves garbanzo beans, so I toss those in as well. I buy everything I can organic. The only food I cook is the quinoa and sweet potato.
Its all thoroughly mixed!
Its put into ice trays and frozen, then popped out and put into gallon size bags!

We add fruit every other day and the birds all get a shelled tree nut or two as a forgaing treat. The sennie shells her own LOL

Birds are alot of work!!

DiscoDuck

Banned
Banned
Jun 9, 2012
Media
Wilmington DE - Landenberg PA
Parrots
Rudy - Hybrid Ruby Macaw Born 6/6/15 Scarlet Mother/Green Wing Father - Oliver BFA RIP 3/15/15 @ 34yo. Without you, I would not have Rudy. Thank you!
I freeze tangelos and tangerines, drill and run wire and watch him do battle with, I bought a hundred of these 1-1/2x 2" tuperware containers. Bought several bags of thsi and that. everyday somethin different.. blueberries are his favorite.'

Curious.

no meat? my GWM is a bit of a carnivore. Rotessirie Chicken from Wal mart. London broil cut one more time into long strings. THe knuckle head saute'd his tail feathers in bacon and sausage grease yester morn. Its like said before they notice what we eat , slides down my arm and is fearless of heat. At nine months I guess he is aquiring tastes. I keep alternating with everything. I even warm his water and add a splashof orange juice. Greens, great one day , wont toudh them again till?? What bird doesnt eat a peanut ? Mine doesnt. I, carefull no salt..

He reached 1280g at 3 months ever since clipping his wings bare minimum he is only at 1240 at 9 months. Now he is a very active bird and gets 10 to 13 hours of dark at 80 degrees 40% humidity.. I vant stand to try something different and then watch him not eat anything for 6 hours . I ma a softy I always give in. His water is 105 sometimes hire with always an mmmmmmmm of approval.. Im going to share your recipe with variation. It just that he is too young and I have spoiled him. some days I( cant use the facilities with out pitching a fit. Others , he makes me feel guilty staring at me . why arent you at work?" I am knucklehead, building your aviary.

Dbs2jlsB-nMIoeaAAiVhw_zjw91GZfmZzymK-KZv7-OljBBNKFI7SH5weEo4jiqmRUObP5JRQ-8n8UrSbttJkVl13PJdi_Zt2rULIp_x3Dfmo2MvefSrQkR3TpFrqQYSA3syW1w1cW2fK7jUQXOlksuOLZdgji9NHiUB3XMm_SfKe0CxinE4aM-21v76iUMq8ahAHYlbe6Q3yNqzX_7qfTvHtYvt8OmHX7UjjhtqOs8WriUQlQ6mwmTtFPoUg43GNNyUGCJVvhTPmzh0AbEn5FrflRpa9D9s67A3ahu9VEqgJKgBlyhtIToNj8wj_mgfVXU4PZOT-2U-8X7T8JXYkCV_sHNTpZAiYx-EO2S-ruWfbVuhyFf5Q_9DWPkoLGn0rCl8sUO030coZzsdvDRm-JwiYCGO5qbWaRvwtbyhEwaOLglf4E5lN7Cbhugsfzj3OnW74MEfzglHBUfoVFihejqk994YWQGMXxKND-CzDdnsrq4e-icVzbduq56XAUOgTzi0tsmY6Y1iNwZg_CSQZeM8C5HyRiXYcy3vQaH1QhNSycDjI1u28s60gwSRmM0XeNQe=w483-h643-no

Oct 24, 2016
Resurrecting this from the grave but Carl has been going through an ultra picky stage at the moment and this recipe is the first time he's actually sat there and ate rather than picking his food out and just dropping it! Just did the base today, warmed and tomorrow plan on adding some fruit.

Thanks so much!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

Latest posts