Cooking Questions

katie_fleming

Oct 30, 2012
Montreal, Canada
Parrots
Jasper (6yr old Solomon Island Eclectus Parrot)
Hello again!

I've been looking at cookware sets (cookies, pizza pans, etc) and I know Baker's Secret has a coating. I found a no name brand at the grocery store that's PFOA and PTFE free so I'll be buying those.

My question though is about pots and pans sets. I know stainless steel is excellent, but the ones I've seen say they have aluminum too, and/or copper. Is this safe? Any help would be appreciated. They're very expensive so I want to make sure I get the right one.

Thanks!

PS: I'm in Canada, so any brands you might know are available here would be helpful. I plan on buying from Canadian Tire as they carry quality sets.

weco

Nov 24, 2010
USA
Parrots
Nanday, suns, parrotlet, Patagonian
The inclusion of copper & aluminum to stainless steel is done to provide even heating throughout the pan and is not harmful.....

MeganMango

Oct 13, 2012
Media
Guelph Ontario
Parrots
1 red bellied parrot (Mango), 3 cockatiels (Bugsie, Alfie, and Bananas)
Hey,
Im from Alberta, Canada, and I get all my pots and pans from Winners. You can get really good quality stuff really cheap. They are all brand name, and they usually have a pretty good selection of stainless steel cookware. If you arent use to stainless steel, there are some things you should know. They retain heat, so be careful about getting the pan too hot, it takes a long time to cool down again even if you take it off the element. They also stick if you dont season them. Stainless steel is a bit porous, so you have to season it EVERY time you cook. It just takes a minute, but you just put a couple of table spoons of oil in the pan with a tea spoon of salt, and heat it to med-high heat. I usually scrape the salt out and then turn it down and wait 5 mins for it to cool before I cook.

OP
katie_fleming

katie_fleming

Oct 30, 2012
Montreal, Canada
Parrots
Jasper (6yr old Solomon Island Eclectus Parrot)
Great, thanks for the info! Wanted to double check before I bought one. :)

Most Reactions

Latest posts