Cool Mist Humidifiers?

Tangie

May 10, 2013
Maine
Parrots
Kiko; A cockatiel.
Tangie; My beloved Sun Conure who passed away in May 2013
What are everyone's thoughts on Cool Mist Humidifiers? I recieved a Sun Beam Cool Mist Antimicrobial treated Humidifier with laden wick{?} filters for Christmas. Think this will do the job?

getwozzy

Feb 26, 2013
Oregon
I have a cool mist humidifier- it's filter-less though... It's been great for us and the mist is apparently Chili's preferred method of bathing (she hates baths)

OP
Tangie

Tangie

May 10, 2013
Maine
Parrots
Kiko; A cockatiel.
Any brand of Cool Mist Humidifer would be alright, though? There's no chemicals and stuff in it(that I know of), but I know Bacteria can quickly grow in it.

getwozzy

Feb 26, 2013
Oregon
Yes- any one would do... It's up to your personal preference really, but you'll need to make sure that it's the right size for the room it'll be in. Usually they say on the box what square footage it can accommodate.

You'll have to clean it weekly (specifically the water tank) to keep on top of any bacteria growth- another reason I went with a filter-less version.

Here's the one I have
http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/walgreens-cool-mist-humidifier/ID=prod6211862-product

OP
Tangie

Tangie

May 10, 2013
Maine
Parrots
Kiko; A cockatiel.
Hmmn...I would've preferred the Filterless, too. It says it has Arm and ammer Baking Soda in it's wick filter? I know I might sound a little...dumb...but what exactly IS that? It says it's made of 'porous material'. That could be anything.
Thanks for your inputs, guys!

Last edited:

getwozzy

Feb 26, 2013
Oregon
Since yours has a filter, what it does is it sucks in the air from the room and pushes it through the filter- which traps any dirt or whatever found in the air...and then it blows out moisture via fan. I wouldn't be concerned about the baking soda- I'm assuming it's added for deodorizing purposes since it absorbs odors from the air....kinda the same theory of putting a box of baking soda in your fridge to absorb any funky food smells.

Mine is an "ultrasonic" humidifer, so the water is essentially vibrated at ultrasonic speed and a fine mist is produced.

Anniele27

Aug 10, 2014
IL,USA
Parrots
Congo African Grey- Ava
I have a cool mist humidifier with a filter that i use in my room which is also where my African Grey is. If i wash it regularly is it okay to use in the same room as her? Also since it has a filter does that work as an air purifier? I read that even though greys aren't that dusty, with frequent baths, that i should get an air purifier since i sleep in the room where she's kept! Any help is appreciated, thanks!

getwozzy

Feb 26, 2013
Oregon
I have a cool mist humidifier with a filter that i use in my room which is also where my African Grey is. If i wash it regularly is it okay to use in the same room as her? Also since it has a filter does that work as an air purifier? I read that even though greys aren't that dusty, with frequent baths, that i should get an air purifier since i sleep in the room where she's kept! Any help is appreciated, thanks!

Yes you can use it in the same room as her, and make sure you clean the tank regularly (at LEAST once a week).

The filter it has, is to filter out anything in the air as the machine operates- it does not exchange/process the same amount of air as an air purifier does....you will need an air purifier as well.

Some folks aren't bothered by powder down birds, but some it can cause serious health issues. Is your grey overly dusty or do you bathe her often?

Anniele27

Aug 10, 2014
IL,USA
Parrots
Congo African Grey- Ava
Yes you can use it in the same room as her, and make sure you clean the tank regularly (at LEAST once a week).

The filter it has, is to filter out anything in the air as the machine operates- it does not exchange/process the same amount of air as an air purifier does....you will need an air purifier as well.

Some folks aren't bothered by powder down birds, but some it can cause serious health issues. Is your grey overly dusty or do you bathe her often?

okay thanks! good to know! Its the hunter wickless UVC cool mist type which is supposed to be really good at eliminating germs but i still will clean it as often as i fill it (about every other day). i don't find that she is very dusty and she gets bathed via spray bottle everyday but id like to take the precautions just in case because i read an air purifier is good for the bird too!

Most Reactions