Coolest Looking Cockatoo Ever!

aliray

Jan 28, 2012
Rotonda West , Fla
Parrots
yellow sided green cheek conure,Chiquita Quaker parrot Sweetie Pie, African red bellied parrot Tiki, spanish timbrado canary Lucas
You're right that is one cool looking bird:)

sonja

Jul 31, 2012
Major Mitchell's are awesome! I dreamed of one for a long time before I got my beautiful boy. Here's my Romeo:
romeo1sm.jpg

Anyone else have one?

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
Major Mitchells aka Leadbeaters cockatoo! They are gorgeous! There's one at the local parrot shop here, and he's not exactly friendly with females, I think? But he's a hilarious little fellow, and gorgeous, to boot!

cea15e72.jpg

ec2d0714.jpg

167080_10150124586836469_8061195_n.jpg

They can be stubborn and nippy birds that are more independent than others, but they've got a lot of spunk to them!

Have you looked at black cockatoos and gang gangs? You might enjoy seeing photos of those species as well!

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
A good friend of mine has 2 Leadbeaters. First time I got to play with them I was just in AWE how gorgeous they were. And BOTH were extremely friendly and SO so soft. :)

.....and then one started screaming when I put him back in the cage, and then the other one chimed in. :11: :11: :11: :11:

We RAN out of that room. Holy moly was THAT loud. :52:

OP
Sc0tt

Sc0tt

Nov 18, 2012
Indiana
Parrots
Red Throated Conure - Casper | American Budgie - Zeus (R.I.P)
Major Mitchell's are awesome! I dreamed of one for a long time before I got my beautiful boy. Here's my Romeo:
romeo1sm.jpg

Anyone else have one?

That's amazing, I can't imagine owning my own! It looks almost photoshopped it's so spectacular. Nature is truly amazing.

Julie86

Dec 2, 2012
Nebraska
Parrots
Khaleesi, Mulga Hen Australian Parakeet-hd: 10/29/12
Maximus, Male Pearl Cockatiel-hd: 1/30/13
Lady, Lutino Hen
Cockatiel-hd: 11/?/13
Its amazing looking!

Finch_Breeder

Oct 27, 2012
South Australia
Parrots
Rocky the Galah! & Cocky the Sulphur Crested Cockatoo!
They have always been one of my favourite birds since I have seen them in the wild, on my Holiday to the Northern Territory, 3 years ago.

carol27

Dec 21, 2012
Media
Albums
San Francisco Bay Area
Parrots
1 Citron Cockatoo
They are gorgeous! My Grand Father had one named Micky that I never met. What are their personalities like?
I have a Citron that I ended up with in a serendipitous way...I was looking for a Pacific Parrotlet! :white1:

Inverse

Nov 16, 2012
Exmouth, Western Australia
Parrots
Rainbow Lorikeet
They are certainly stunning birds. Here's another of my favorites that I hope one day to have in my flock.
Red%20cockatoo1.jpg

flat,550x550,075,f.jpg

Calyptorhynchus banksii, Red tailed black cockatoo. Or Bank's Cockatoo.
Big, gentle stunning birds, my first experience was with one at a bird place in Perth.
So gentle yet cracked the Brazil nut I gave him with the ease we would shell a pea from it's pod.
He actually climbed off his perch, snuck up to me and tugged on my jeans to be picked up again.
Carnaby's black cockatoos are also a very nice bird which I was lucky enough to see the other day. I was recently down in Perth and heard a familiar screech, a pair of Rainbow Lorikeets were playing in a gum tree.
I am so very lucky to live in a country that no matter where I am, I get to see fids in the wild every day.

Finch_Breeder

Oct 27, 2012
South Australia
Parrots
Rocky the Galah! & Cocky the Sulphur Crested Cockatoo!
They are certainly stunning birds. Here's another of my favorites that I hope one day to have in my flock.
Red%20cockatoo1.jpg

flat,550x550,075,f.jpg

Calyptorhynchus banksii, Red tailed black cockatoo. Or Bank's Cockatoo.
Big, gentle stunning birds, my first experience was with one at a bird place in Perth.
So gentle yet cracked the Brazil nut I gave him with the ease we would shell a pea from it's pod.
He actually climbed off his perch, snuck up to me and tugged on my jeans to be picked up again.
Carnaby's black cockatoos are also a very nice bird which I was lucky enough to see the other day. I was recently down in Perth and heard a familiar screech, a pair of Rainbow Lorikeets were playing in a gum tree.
I am so very lucky to live in a country that no matter where I am, I get to see fids in the wild every day.

Same here:D

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
Major Mitchells have always caught my attention because they are soooo gorgeous. I think it's their crest that makes them one of the most beautiful birds out there. I would love to meet one in person in someday, but they're a bit too big of a bird for me to ever want to own one. I grew up with parrots, and one of them was a goffin (one of the mini toos). He's a wonderful little bird, but he's at least 100x louder than the amazons, and I don't know if I could ever deal with the "calls" of a larger too lol (bigger the bird, bigger the voice!).

I am a little surprised to hear from those of you who have met/own these beautiful birds that they are really sweet/friendly. I had always kind of heard the major mitchells were, as a rule, not really as adaptable as other species to living in a domestic home. But maybe that's just bad info since they are still pretty rare (at least here in the US) and big toos take a special person anyways :)

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
I would actually consider a major mitchell to be a medium sized cockatoo... perhaps as big as some of the large amazons, if not smaller! Well, a major mitchell might weigh the same amount, or less, than a blue fronted amazon!

Definitely worth it to meet one in person!

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
Coolest looking cockatoo
Here's what I think LOL, -------------- I actually think the red tailed black cockatoos are probably the coolest looking haha, they are incredible and I've always had them on my bird dream list.
736565_2677928364506_1813829721_o.jpg

Most Reactions