Copper toys

azdesertrhino

Oct 29, 2010
Tucson, AZ
Parrots
Blue & Gold Macaw
Our B&G Macaw can destroy the little toy bells that come on "retail" toys in a hurry.

the first thing he attacks is the clapper, which I then have to remove due to fear he will somehow swallow it.

I work in the refrigeration industry and we use ACR copper pipe (99.96% pure copper).

I thought about making some do-dads out of copper using 40% silver solder for Mac. There appears to be some concerns about the toxicity of copper to birds. Some sites say it's ok some say NO.

Anyone have real world info on this matter?

Thanks,

Jim

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
I personally don't use any copper period around my animals. There's people that does, not me....

Pedro

Dec 15, 2010
Australia
Parrots
2 Budgies, 3 Cockatiels, 6 GCC'S, 2 Crimson Bellie Conures, 9 Sun Conures, 2 Major Mitchells, 12 Eclectus parrots of various ages, 2 BF Amazons, 2 Hahn's Macaw's, 1 Red Tail Black Too
To be on the safe side i wouldn't use copper either.

I buy solid stainless steel bells for my parrots.

I always er on the side of caution with my birds & if in doubt just leave it out.

OP
azdesertrhino

azdesertrhino

Oct 29, 2010
Tucson, AZ
Parrots
Blue & Gold Macaw
I appreciate the input.

Back to the search for safe toy material at reasonable prices!!:D

Copper is off the board!!

HRH Di

Jan 9, 2010
Media
McKinney, TX
Parrots
Max - Alexandrine, Jade - Red-Front Macaw, Ruby - CAG
Toys are sooooo expensive! It's really hard to keep up. There are lots of household "garbage" that our parrots just love - paper towel and toilet paper tubes (whole or cut into pieces); plastic lids from water bottles/milk jugs; coffee filters (unused, of course); cut up pieces of cereal boxes - just to name a few.

You can also get things from home improvement and craft stores that are safe and inexpensive for toys. Door shims are favorites around our house. They're soft, untreated pine that's safe for parrots and very inexpensive. Untreated sisel rope or jute is available at most caft stores in the jewelry making section. Our Max loves the uber-generic toilet paper. We just hang a roll in his cage and he shreds it in about 48 hours. 6 rolls for less than $1. Great toy!

Also, Windy City Parrots has great toys and parts to make toys.

nofearengineer

Sep 8, 2010
Parrots
Gandalf - CAG (1997-2010) R.I.P. my baby boy.
Bitty - CAG (2 yrs old? and working on spoiling her rotten)
Bitty will play for hours with a plastic soda bottle lid. For an occasional laugh, I give her the big yellow plastic lid from a jar of Peter Pan peanut butter. She doesn't quite know what to do with it, it's so big. She will throw it all over the cage.

Toys can be very inexpensive.

Why risk copper?

HRH Di

Jan 9, 2010
Media
McKinney, TX
Parrots
Max - Alexandrine, Jade - Red-Front Macaw, Ruby - CAG
Sometimes we spoil our birdies with a real "store-bought" toy. Of course, a $3 corn whisk broom lights up their eyes as much.

Pedro

Dec 15, 2010
Australia
Parrots
2 Budgies, 3 Cockatiels, 6 GCC'S, 2 Crimson Bellie Conures, 9 Sun Conures, 2 Major Mitchells, 12 Eclectus parrots of various ages, 2 BF Amazons, 2 Hahn's Macaw's, 1 Red Tail Black Too
you could always ask an avian vet im sure they would know better than any person on here lol

I have to disagree with you, if there is anything i have learnt over the last 30 years is that long time companion parrot owners have the goss on just about everything that is parrot proof & what isn't.

Avian Vets wouldn't have a clue, they would only be able to tell you what is a dangerous toy by what birds are admitted after an accident.

OP
azdesertrhino

azdesertrhino

Oct 29, 2010
Tucson, AZ
Parrots
Blue & Gold Macaw
Bitty will play for hours with a plastic soda bottle lid. For an occasional laugh, I give her the big yellow plastic lid from a jar of Peter Pan peanut butter. She doesn't quite know what to do with it, it's so big. She will throw it all over the cage.

Toys can be very inexpensive.

Why risk copper?

I thought of copper because it was a natural material. Still in the learning process. <GRIN>!!

you could always ask an avian vet im sure they would know better than any person on here lol

I have to disagree with you, if there is anything i have learnt over the last 30 years is that long time companion parrot owners have the goss on just about everything that is parrot proof & what isn't.

Avian Vets wouldn't have a clue, they would only be able to tell you what is a dangerous toy by what birds are admitted after an accident.

I would agree with Pedro on this situation.

thanks to all that chimed in on my question. Much appreciated.

Jim

Most Reactions