Cordial diver

Chunky

Feb 25, 2015
Parrots
Chunky the pineapple GCC
Frankie CAG
Well, Chunky is turning into a entertaining nut case!

Last night i had a glass full of blackcurrant cordial with ice. I was watching TV. I saw through peripheral vision that chunky had landed on the table, but i didnt look around straight away. After a few seconds, i turned my head to see Chunkys tail feathers vertical in the glass and his right eye staring at me through black currant cordial!! I panicked thinking he was going to drown. I picked up the glass and tipped the entire contents all over me.
Chunky began running over my dripping wet clothes much to my husbands amusement! I realised that if the cordial dried on his feathers it would be a sticky mess, so, poor chunky had a bath, then a good long shower under the kitchen tap.
Although i was quite worried about him, i couldnt help but laugh. He didnt appear that concerned he was at the bottom of a glass. Once he had a cuddle cupped in the palm of my hand to warm him up, he was all back to normal.

Note to self... I must be alert at all times because i own a lunatic :D

JamesC

Sep 3, 2011
Knoxville, TN
Parrots
Blue Crown Conures: Tootsie and Rosco.
Senegal Parrot: Sidney.

Feathers of the past:
Budgies: Sunshine, Digit, Kiwi, and Yahto.
Senegal Parrot: Kelly.
"Fly free, little ones. Love and miss you."
Yeah, you have to keep an eye on them at all times when they are out. My Senegal is a big time drink dipper. Although he has never slipped in, I don't want to take any chances of him going head first into a glass and will pick him up and hold the glass tipped so that he can drink his fill. I used to drink a lot of flavored drinks but only plain water now so he isn't as interested, fortunately. But I still stay very cautious.

Hopefully Chunky learned a lesson but I think that most of the time a tasty drink will overcome whatever lesson and good sense these little feather brains have.

OP
C

Chunky

Feb 25, 2015
Parrots
Chunky the pineapple GCC
Frankie CAG
Yeah, you have to keep an eye on them at all times when they are out. My Senegal is a big time drink dipper. Although he has never slipped in, I don't want to take any chances of him going head first into a glass and will pick him up and hold the glass tipped so that he can drink his fill. I used to drink a lot of flavored drinks but only plain water now so he isn't as interested, fortunately. But I still stay very cautious.

Hopefully Chunky learned a lesson but I think that most of the time a tasty drink will overcome whatever lesson and good sense these little feather brains have.

I think the fact he is only 11 weeks old had something to do with it. He has a tendency to over shoot the runway on his landings lol. Has slid into my dinner a couple of times.

Flboy

Dec 28, 2014
Greater Orlando area, Florida
Parrots
JoJo, 'Special' GCC, Bongo, Cinnamon GCC(wife's)
I think the fact he is only 11 weeks old had something to do with it. He has a tendency to over shoot the runway on his landings lol. Has slid into my dinner a couple of times.

Ha, right, foolish human! As he gets older he will fall in faster!

AshMGon

Feb 10, 2015
NJ
Parrots
Brotogeris (white-winged) Parakeet
I used to own a cockatiel.

One time I was eating cocoa pebbles, and he kept attempting to have some. I insisted "No, Bindee, you cannot have any cocoa pebbles"

After about 8 attempts, he gave up. So I kept watching my movie.

Suddenly, this white blur flew past my face and chocolate milk exploded everywhere. I looked down to see Bindee practically bathing in the milk, soggy cocoa pebbles all over his feathers.

It happens.

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Aw poor Chunky! You too lol, hope you didn't stain your clothes :D! Seriously though, I'm glad but surprised he didn't aspirate any liquid. Maybe he was able to hold his breath somehow? :confused: Yeah, parrots don't swim underwater too well, I know firsthand...

When I had 2 budgies, Don and I bathed them in water which wasn't very deep, but obviously it was too deep because one jumped on the other's back and pushed him completely underwater (Twigs, the guy I currently still have) and it was only for a second or two. That quick, and still I wasn't sure if he was going to make it, but he managed to expel all the water after several hours, but he wasn't himself for a couple days.

Last edited:
OP
C

Chunky

Feb 25, 2015
Parrots
Chunky the pineapple GCC
Frankie CAG
Aw poor Chunky! You too lol, hope you didn't stain your clothes :D! Seriously though, I'm glad but surprised he didn't aspirate any liquid. Maybe he was able to hold his breath somehow? :confused: Yeah, parrots don't swim underwater too well, I know firsthand...

When I had 2 budgies, Don and I bathed them in water which wasn't very deep, but obviously it was too deep because one jumped on the other's back and pushed him completely underwater (Twigs, the guy I currently still have) and it was only for a second or two. That quick, and still I wasn't sure if he was going to make it, but he managed to expel all the water after several hours, but he wasn't himself for a couple days.

Yes, thats why i tipped the whole glassful over me. I didnt want to stain the carpet so thought it best tipped on me! I was sure he would have breathing problems, but no. Thankfully, i was wearing a black top so it wont affect the colour.
I was still giggling to myself in bed. I now have that mental image of his big eye staring back at me as if to say "look at me mum, arent i clever?" Etched in my mind forever :D

Poor little Twigs. Thank goodness you were there.

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie

Yes, thats why i tipped the whole glassful over me. I didnt want to stain the carpet so thought it best tipped on me! I was sure he would have breathing problems, but no. Thankfully, i was wearing a black top so it wont affect the colour.
I was still giggling to myself in bed. I now have that mental image of his big eye staring back at me as if to say "look at me mum, arent i clever?" Etched in my mind forever :D

Poor little Twigs. Thank goodness you were there.

Lol, black clothing does come in handy at times I noticed, though I've never 'yet' dumped any food or drink my way "on purpose" :D

That eye staring back through the glass, hilarious image I agree!

I was thinking, he probably had an air bubble in there that went down in the liquid with him that must have saved him?
I know they can't hold their breath... I was only half serious on the last post about that.

OP
C

Chunky

Feb 25, 2015
Parrots
Chunky the pineapple GCC
Frankie CAG
I think you must be right about the air bubble because he didnt even cough or splutter when i tipped him out, just started running up and down my body straight away.

Btw... He jumped up on the very same glass again tonight. Not only is he a lunatic, but must have a death wish. I quickly placed a tea plate over the top! :/

gracebowen

Jan 14, 2015
San Antonio
Parrots
Cora lovebird
Sky parakeet
:) I can't eat Pringles or Sunday flower seeds if Jet is on me. He steals lol. Funny that he likes but not good because of the salt.

OP
C

Chunky

Feb 25, 2015
Parrots
Chunky the pineapple GCC
Frankie CAG
:) I can't eat Pringles or Sunday flower seeds if Jet is on me. He steals lol. Funny that he likes but not good because of the salt.

Yes, they are little thieves arent they? Chunkys favourite is digging out a raisin from my fruitcake. :D

OP
C

Chunky

Feb 25, 2015
Parrots
Chunky the pineapple GCC
Frankie CAG
Most important, alcoholic beverages are really bad for birds. It is listed as poisonous on many lists for parrots.

That wont ever be a problem as neither me or my husband drink alcohol at home.

OP
C

Chunky

Feb 25, 2015
Parrots
Chunky the pineapple GCC
Frankie CAG
Ah, you said blackcurrant cordial. A cordial usually is an alcoholic beverage.

No, here in UK there is a popular soft drink cordial called Ribena and i wasnt sure if it is sold in the U.S.

Hawk

Banned
Banned
Dec 5, 2014
Media
Albums
Michigan, USA
Parrots
5 Parrots, 8 year old Blue-fronted Amazon, 2 1/2 yr. old African Grey, 2 3/4 year old Senegal. 5 month old ekkie, 5 month old Albino parakeet. Major Mitchell Cockatoo, passed away at age 68.

Ohhhh yeah....never take your eyes off them.......this is what happen to birdell....fell into the dish water in kitchen sink...covered in soap bubbles.

He flew into kitchen, tried to land next to sink and fell in.....it's pretty funny, but in reality, could have been a disaster.

Last edited:
OP
C

Chunky

Feb 25, 2015
Parrots
Chunky the pineapple GCC
Frankie CAG

Ohhhh yeah....never take your eyes off them.......this is what happen to birdell....fell into the dish water in kitchen sink...covered in soap bubbles.

He flew into kitchen, tried to land next to sink and fell in.....it's pretty funny, but in reality, could have been a disaster.

Lol, yep, poor birdell. Looks pretty much the same as chunky did.

Although disaster could have befallen them, its good to keep a sense of humour about things.

Most Reactions