Corn sake babies tomorrow!!

riddick07

Dec 22, 2011
PA
Parrots
Blue & Gold Macaw (Titan) & Yellow Naped Amazon (Kelly)
My corn snakes are coming in tomorrow morning:D The tracking information says they will be here by 10:30 am! How am I supposed to sleep?? I will post pictures here when they come in tomorrow:)

This is the temporary setup till they are a bit bigger and I find a 55 gallon tank that I like to split in two for them!

Where the setup will be even when the 55 is found... Don't look at Folgers foot toy mess on the right...or the moving boxes to the left:rolleyes:

I still don't have names for sure yet....

EDIT: Corn sake babies lol...sake snakes could be cool...

Last edited:

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
I was just thinking of that yesterday, that "Victoria should have her snakes pretty soon"...:D

OP
riddick07

riddick07

Dec 22, 2011
PA
Parrots
I'm so excited! It has been so long since I had baby snakes or had to freak the neighbors out by looking out the windows every 15 seconds waiting for them to be dropped off:D And we are new to the neighborhood so the neighbors should find me extra strange:rolleyes:

I actually found out the local petstore sells feeder mice and rats! They are a little expensive but I'm pretty sure they beat the shipping price and having 50 rats taking up room in the freezer. Should have called them years ago but didn't bother until I had to find day old pinky mice nearby! (Didn't want to spend 40 bucks on shipping when the feeders were only like 15 bucks...)

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
or had to freak the neighbors out by looking out the windows every 15 seconds waiting for them to be dropped off:D And we are new to the neighborhood so the neighbors should find me extra strange:rolleyes:

How exciting to get a new pet of any kind! :) And dropped right off at your doorstep too!

Dinosrawr

Aug 15, 2013
Saskatoon, SK, Canada
Parrots
Avery, a GCC born on March 5th, 2013 & Shiko, a blue IRN born on February 25th, 2014
Whaaaa! I wanttt! Your snakes are going to be so pretty! I was thinking of getting another corn (you pretty much had me convinced after those GORGEOUS deciding photos!), but I actually think I'll be getting a blue tongued skink instead (you know you're weird when your boyfriend asks you what you want for an anniversary gift and you say you want a skink...)

So pretty, pretty please post lots of pictures of your babies and update as they grow! I don't think my heart can handle another snake if I lost it again... so I'll be more than happy to watch your babies grow :D Especially since they're going to be SO pretty! :)!

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
I want a snake. My husband says no. Isn't that backwards? But I am so excited for you! I hope you find a new neighbor who also loves birds and snakes =D

OP
riddick07

riddick07

Dec 22, 2011
PA
Parrots
I want a snake. My husband says no. Isn't that backwards? But I am so excited for you! I hope you find a new neighbor who also loves birds and snakes =D

Just buy one and tell him the snake wandered in...

Whaaaa! I wanttt! Your snakes are going to be so pretty! I was thinking of getting another corn (you pretty much had me convinced after those GORGEOUS deciding photos!), but I actually think I'll be getting a blue tongued skink instead (you know you're weird when your boyfriend asks you what you want for an anniversary gift and you say you want a skink...)

So pretty, pretty please post lots of pictures of your babies and update as they grow! I don't think my heart can handle another snake if I lost it again... so I'll be more than happy to watch your babies grow :D Especially since they're going to be SO pretty! :)!

Blue tongue skink! My mother has one of those and I had one when I was younger.

Definitely will be taking lots of pics to share! Need to document the color change as they get bigger...so the first pics!

The containers they came in!

So tiny...

So the Striped Bloodred girl was the first to come out!

The Butter boy...

OP
riddick07

riddick07

Dec 22, 2011
PA
Parrots
Going in the cage!

The Striped girl disappeared fast:)

Curled up right there...

The Butter boy was too busy trying to eat me to hide...it was cute...

Dinosrawr

Aug 15, 2013
Saskatoon, SK, Canada
Parrots
Avery, a GCC born on March 5th, 2013 & Shiko, a blue IRN born on February 25th, 2014
Woooowwww... their colours are amazing! And they're so little and adorable! I really love that Butter morph, I never thought I'd be fond of something like that until you showed the morphs previously and seeing the pictures of your little hatchling :)

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Both really beautiful! Congratulations :D I know they get brighter... will be interesting to see color change and develop with each molt. "Molt"? Or is it shedding?

Phlox

Jun 16, 2014
So adorable. I remember when my Avalon was shipped to me like that back in 2000. Same little deli cups. :)

He grew up into this...so you have a lot to look forward to!

avalon.jpg

Sterling1113

Feb 15, 2014
Dallas area, Texas
How pretty!! :) I'm so excited for you.
I gave that carpet python I mentioned in your other post to my friend for her birthday a couple weeks ago, and a couple days later he shed his entire skin! Our milk snake always did it in chunks but his was one solid piece!

I'm also going to be keeping an eye out for updates on how they grow. :) enjoy your babies.

OP
riddick07

riddick07

Dec 22, 2011
PA
Parrots
OMG guys about an hour after I put them in their cage there was a major mishap! I wasn't sure if I wanted to share but I know others want baby snakes and this might be useful information.

So.... in the first pics of their setup you can see that the tank is divided into two sections. I figured why not it is big enough for the two right now...DON'T... we used electrical tape to hold it in place. I mean no way are these little pretty weak babies going to be able to move past tape....WRONG!! So very WRONG!

For some reason I am a bit of a nut when it comes to hatchling temps! I had just found my good gauge in the kitchen mess about an hour after the babies had been put in their cages....so I decided to go check temps with it just to be sure...THANK GOD I DID! I would have had some very dead hatchlings otherwise. The one had gotten to the other side of the tank and BOTH of them had gotten themselves caught on the electrical tape. I wanted to cry when I realized what was happening. Hatchling babies are delicate even though corns are hardy snakes. I wasn't sure how I was going to get them off of the tape without ripping their beautiful scales off or just ripping them open. So I hauled butt upstairs with their whole tank to the kitchen....my mothers heart dropped with me when she realized what had happened.

Soooo on closer inspection not only are their bodies caught but both have one of their eyes on the tape and the bloodred has her whole lower jaw glued down. You can see the skin stretching as she tried to pull off it. So trying not to cry I grabbed water hoping it would help and it did absolutely nothing besides make them a bit wet...my mother goes to the computer to google anything that can help while I peel the tape off the cage to get them out and easier to look at this absolute disaster.

It only looks worse close up but my mother found that olive oil will work....THANK GOD!!! We weren't sure it was working at first but after the oil had a bit to seep between the scales and the tape they were actually able to pretty much pull themselves off with just a little help from us! Not one scale missing...they have a little black residue in a couple spots that I will work on tomorrow but mostly they are perfectly fine just a little tired. They both immediately took naps after I rinsed the olive oil off them. So yes people olive oil is a wonderful thing:D

Their new setups... the harry potter books were to make it darker not hold the lid on or something...

Butter Boy

The Striped Bloodred Girl

They were both wandering around their new cages when I got home an hour or so ago. So very glad I am paranoid about temps!

SpotsandSally

Sep 30, 2013
Alaska, USA
Parrots
Kiwi : Indian Ringneck Parrot RIP, taken far too young, Mango : Lovebird, 5 years old 2014, Sprite : Pineapple green cheek, <1 2014
Oh goodness! That's terrible! I hope they feel better

They're both so beautiful :)

Most Reactions

Latest posts