Cosmo's Vet Visit.

EdgesofTwilight

Sep 2, 2014
Buffalo, NY
Parrots
Cosmo - Hahn's Macaw
I took Cosmo to the vet today and he passed with flying colors. The doctor was so nice, knowledgeable, and helpful. Since this is my first bird, she walked me through the basics. Including handling. With her help, I was able to get Cosmo to stop biting on my fingers, to step up, give kisses, and get scritches. All in a matter of minutes. At home I was worried that I have my work cut out for me, and this is an unruly bird. But all I needed was to be a little assertive and not be afraid.

She did a full beak to tail exam, gram stain, and blood draw and swab for the polyoma virus test. He didn't even cry when he was towelled, had blood drawn, and a swab up his butt. What a trooper! :) His gram stain showed some bacteria, but nothing abnormal for the stress he has gone through. I even found out what his new favorite treat is. Nutriberries. Dr. Wade and her staff were outstanding. I think I was more nervous than Cosmo was lol. With the test I was expecting to pay a lot more than I actually did. The grand total for everything was $215. $80 for the exam, $40 for the gram stain, $55 for the polyoma test, and the rest was an overnight FedEx fee and a medical waste disposal fee. I'm happy and Cosmo's Happy too! :)

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
That's fantastic news! And definitely a great price, too. When will you get the polyoma test results back? It sounds like you found a wonderful vet:)

OP
EdgesofTwilight

EdgesofTwilight

Sep 2, 2014
Buffalo, NY
Parrots
Cosmo - Hahn's Macaw
Will get it back in a couple days. So I guess by Tuesday. Probably 2 business days. It was overnighted today so the lab should get it tomorrow.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
I'm glad it won't take too long to get back. Cosmo is a little trooper for behaving so well for the vet:)

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Yep!

Even the little ones react differently if they sense fear... and a few basic things sometimes makes all the behavior difference in the world.

OP
EdgesofTwilight

EdgesofTwilight

Sep 2, 2014
Buffalo, NY
Parrots
Cosmo - Hahn's Macaw
I can't believe how a little goes a long way. Within minutes he turned from an unruly child to a pile of mush. He definitely likes his scratches. He was cuddled up on my chest for over a half hour. :)

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Your A-vet sounds absolutely AMAZING!! :D I'm so glad you were able to get Cosmo in so soon! And the prices are VERY very reasonable, too!!

Now please do tell, how did you get Cosmo into the carrier? Did he give you a hard time at all?

That is so sweet how he cuddled up on your chest for so long! :)

He's a sweetie, plain and simple!

OP
EdgesofTwilight

EdgesofTwilight

Sep 2, 2014
Buffalo, NY
Parrots
Cosmo - Hahn's Macaw
Yeah he was scared this morning because I was rushed. So I approached him with my jacket and winter hat on and he was a little spooked. I used the dowel and followed him around the cage a bit. Talking to him all the time. And he eventually hopped on and I was able to transfer him. After coming home, I just put my fingers up to him and he steps up 90% of the time. :) He knows what gentle/no bite is and kiss kiss. Even the Dr. Wade said he's a pretty sharp/smart bird.

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
I think you did GREAT getting him in the travel cage like that!! :)

You should see my guys when I come down with my hair wrapped up in a towel. They look at me like I have 3 heads, HAHAHAH.

OP
EdgesofTwilight

EdgesofTwilight

Sep 2, 2014
Buffalo, NY
Parrots
Cosmo - Hahn's Macaw
You should see my guys when I come down with my hair wrapped up in a towel. They look at me like I have 3 heads, HAHAHAH.

Who is this strange person that looks like Medusa? :) lol

My friend's OWA attacked her head when she used that towel wrap thing on her hair. I don't know what its called, it automatically wrap your hair up I think. He flew across the room and started tearing chunks out of it. :)

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Who is this strange person that looks like Medusa? :) lol

My friend's OWA attacked her head when she used that towel wrap thing on her hair. I don't know what its called, it automatically wrap your hair up I think. He flew across the room and started tearing chunks out of it. :)

ROFLMAO @ Medusa! Yup, spot on!

My Sam 'tried' that once....flying into my face because he didn't agree with my hairdo and/or makeup choice. :54:

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
I can't believe how a little goes a long way. Within minutes he turned from an unruly child to a pile of mush. He definitely likes his scratches. He was cuddled up on my chest for over a half hour. :)

EXACTLY! How you approach them, and how you react to them, and how you handle them makes all the difference in the world.

Do it wrong, you trigger their defensive mechanisms, and a stubborn streak a mile wide.

Do it right, you trigger their inner-mush...

No real "whispering" required!

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
Bravo Cosmo! So glad to hear Cosmo's vet visit went well. It sounds like you have an amazing vet, and excellent prices too. You must be thrilled to have Cosmo home and his first vet visit behind you.

OP
EdgesofTwilight

EdgesofTwilight

Sep 2, 2014
Buffalo, NY
Parrots
Cosmo - Hahn's Macaw
Yeah it feels good to have that out of the way. But I'll feel better once I get the results of the polyoma test back. Reason I had it done is because there is a risk that he might have been exposed to it at the breeder. Another forum member lost a bird to it and Cosmo came from the same breeder.

OP
EdgesofTwilight

EdgesofTwilight

Sep 2, 2014
Buffalo, NY
Parrots
Cosmo - Hahn's Macaw
Well, the vet called me with the test results on the polyoma test. The results show that Cosmo is negative for polyoma. So he has a clean bill of health. Yay! :)

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
WO-HOOOOO!!!! What a HUGE sigh of relief!!! :D You must be beyond elated! I'm so very happy for both of you!

OP
EdgesofTwilight

EdgesofTwilight

Sep 2, 2014
Buffalo, NY
Parrots
Cosmo - Hahn's Macaw
Thanks! Yeah its much relief that that is over with. He has a check up in 3 months. Maybe then he'll get his nails trimmed. She kept them longer because he's clipped, so he has some extra grip and security. Now they're starting to feel a little sharp. He needs to go on his concrete perch more. :) oh and got the DNA certificate in the mail yesterday too. :)

OP
EdgesofTwilight

EdgesofTwilight

Sep 2, 2014
Buffalo, NY
Parrots
Cosmo - Hahn's Macaw
Well I took Cosmo to his 3 month check up and he did well. He was a little scared going for a ride in his new pak-o-bird backpack travel cage. But once we got there he was fine. His physical went well and he had his nails and beak trimmed. He only squawked when they cut the first couple of nails, being a baby. He didn't make a sound when he moved and she cut the one nail short, nor when she nicked the soft pad on the side of his beak. Both drew a little blood and needed a dab of steptic gel. He went from 120g to 133g since his last visit and he behaved very well for her and the tech. He didn't even try to bite! :) After all was done, I expected to pay a small fortune. But it only came out to $66 for the visit and trimming. I was happy and most important, Cosmo was happy. :)

Most Reactions

Latest posts