Could a Macaw Live Happily in My Home?

Vienna

Apr 29, 2015
I've been interested in a macaw for some time. My experience with birds is limited to leghorn chickens and guinea hens. I do keep some reptiles who are known for being difficult-keepers, so I AM used to diet/environmentally sensitive animals, if that helps. I also work with horses professionally ("natural" horsemanship). Patience, persistence, working WITH opposed to against the nature of the animal, pain tolerance (ha!) and keeping my head in stressful situations are strengths that I feel will benefit my possible future bird-keeping.

As far as macaw keeping, there has been some basic research done, but I don't want to get too emotionally invested until I'm sure one of these charming beauties could actually thrive in the existing household. If you guys could chime in with your opinions, especially with personal experience, that would be absolutely wonderful!

I am a young adult and live with three other adults in a medium-sized house, out in the country-- no neighbours. One guy works from home at the moment (he doesn't mind the idea of a bird, but wants nothing to do with it physically). We also have a large dog who has been around many small animals (including some rather annoying/aggressive ones) and has never taken after or threatened to harm anything. Everyone is fine with tolerating some noise. I understand that birds chatter, and macaws are often known to scream in certain situations/during certain times of day; which is fine, if it isn't excessive or constant.

The bird would have to be caged while I work (8 hours), because I don't want the dog and the bird to be alone together. On weekdays he/she will be out for an hour-and-a-half in the morning and from 5pm-10pm when I get home. Weekends, they will be out even more.

Sticking around home and being consistent isn't a problem. I am a horse trainer... I don't get out often. There will be the odd day trip on the trails or working cattle, but am told that a little inconsistency here-and-there doesn't bother these birds? If an emergency arises, I do have two people who would be there to care for the bird. (Everyone will be educated on bird basics.)

Please be honest! If you have any questions, ask. No rush. I won't be jumping into this any time soon. (I made all of those mistakes during my early horsemanship days :54: )

Last edited:

GWMYR

Apr 20, 2015
Parrots
Ruby Macaw.
For Macaw wise, I think you would need times and your family members must have high noise level tolerance. Because most people tends to sell (literally no one re-home their macaws in my country because of the value of the parrot) because of the noise level.

EAI

Jul 25, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
Parrots
Budgerigar: Arrow, Esther, Kratos, Cora, Ducky.

Lovebird: Izzy, Gizmo.
I would 100% recommend teaching a macaw how to mimic and or talk to substitute screaming if everyone is willing to tolerate "some noise". Of course, you might not be able to help the routine morning and evening calls but with everything, it will help to improve the noise.

The time seems to be an okay fit, of course more hours is better, but 5 hours seem like a good time. If you do take off on odd days it's crucial to socialize your bird with everyone in the house so the bird and the people will be comfortable taking care and being taken care of. (note* there might be someone your bird won't like and theres also a chance it might be you)

Some people start off with the larger birds, macaws, cockatoos, and greys as their first bird and do a fantastic job. It really depends on your commitment (time, money) and willingness (patience, research) to pursue getting a macaw.

Personally, i'd also recommend to look at the smaller species because they don't require as much space (but bigger is always better) and their beaks are less intimidating.
It would also be a great idea to go out and visit as many pet stores, breeders, and rescues to interact with macaws --- and who knows, you might end up falling in love with your "perfect parrot"!

thekarens

Sep 29, 2013
I disagree with about the smaller macs having less intimidating beaks. I'm a lot more afraid of a severe's beak than I would ever be of any of the big macs.

However, I would agree about the noise. My mac isn't a screamer, but she is LOUD and will give the morning flock call, the "mom's home" flock call, the happy call, the excited call and on occasion PAY ATTENTION TO ME call. The whole household needs to be on board for that if you're getting a mac.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
I disagree with about the smaller macs having less intimidating beaks. I'm a lot more afraid of a severe's beak than I would ever be of any of the big macs.

However, I would agree about the noise. My mac isn't a screamer, but she is LOUD and will give the morning flock call, the "mom's home" flock call, the happy call, the excited call and on occasion PAY ATTENTION TO ME call. The whole household needs to be on board for that if you're getting a mac.

What she said...

The small macs often have more attitude than the big macs.

If you go with a smaller mac, I'd go with a hahns or a yellow collared macaw (if you can find one of those, they can be hard to come by.)

Big Macs? Personally I have four favorites. Hys, Greenwings, Blue Throats, and Red Fronts.

Blue Throats and Red Fronts are medium sized macaws that are very personable, but are escape artists and then some. They are very mechanical, and super interactive.

Greenwings are one of the best pet quality macaw species out there... but then I may be biased because I've had one living on my lap or my shoulder for 8-ish years now...

OP
V

Vienna

Apr 29, 2015
My internet connection is cutting in/out so I'm writing this quickly!

Thank-you everyone for responding. I'm noting all that you've shared/expressed. Noise is the biggest conern at the moment, and I completely agree. I have found a pet store near-ish to me who has two B&G macaws (not for sale: kept by the shop owners). I'm going to pay them a visit, interact with the birds, and ask lots of questions. See if this is something I might want to devote myself to.

If there is anything else you want to add or ask, please do! Thanks again!

dogslovepeace

Apr 7, 2015
Just know that there will be noise. I do not have a Mac (yet) but my conure is LOUD. Very loud when she's excited or nervous or hungry or when she's tired. See the trend?

Parrots make noise and those noises can be obnoxious to some people. I only mention this again because you share your house with others. They will be affected by a parrot in the house regardless if they want to be or not. My husband was 1000% on board with bringing Pepper into our home and her noise is overwhelming to him. We are working on training but that's not a guarantee. Thankfully she's a charming little girl, has stolen his heart and he wouldn't think of giving her up! [emoji51]

Most Reactions