Could I be allergic to my Amazon?

BeakerBird

Aug 20, 2012
Morgantown, WV
Parrots
Quaker-Beaker
YN Amazon- ChiChi
Hey guys, I have two birds a Quaker and a YN Amazon. I had the Quaker before the YN and had no issues. Anytime I play with the amazon I sneeze and develop a lot of itchiness and redness on my arms and neck. On days I don't handle her, this doesn't happen. Is it possible I am allergic to something about her? :confused:

OP
B

BeakerBird

Aug 20, 2012
Morgantown, WV
Parrots
Quaker-Beaker
YN Amazon- ChiChi
Let me say that I am not very allergy prone so this is new to me. If her head rubs against my cheek my face itches later, my hands get red and a bit swollen looking, etc. Also, I highly doubt it is anything else, as it is just when handling her.

wenz2712

Banned
Banned
Nov 16, 2011
Media
You could possibly have an allergy to her!! although it is unusual, especially as it doesn't happen around your Quaker.

I am not sure what the answer is, apart from anti allergy tablets.

Eloy

Sep 4, 2012
Yes is possible to have a reaction to only one kind of bird. (but bird allergy is rare)
Can you go to the doctor and make a allergy test?
What is your Amazon eating? Same food as your Quaker?

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Very odd that you have no reactions to your Quaker and only your Amazon. :eek: I guess allergies can't be ruled out. Have you tried bathing him frequently to see if that helps any?

My GF developed a SEVERE allergy to feather dust and had to part with her flock, which in turn made her quite miserable. :31: And yes, she was tested by a physician.

OP
B

BeakerBird

Aug 20, 2012
Morgantown, WV
Parrots
Quaker-Beaker
YN Amazon- ChiChi
Very odd that you have no reactions to your Quaker and only your Amazon. :eek: I guess allergies can't be ruled out. Have you tried bathing him frequently to see if that helps any?

My GF developed a SEVERE allergy to feather dust and had to part with her flock, which in turn made her quite miserable. :31: And yes, she was tested by a physician.

The Quaker is molting so I bathe him almost every day. My amazon typically every 3 days. They both enjoy sessions with the blow drier!

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
Take a molted feather and rub it on your arm, if that spot turns red and itchy , that'd be the pits.

SpringCottageParrot

Jun 6, 2012
The Weald of Kent
Parrots
Casper a blue fronted Amazon
If it is an allergy an air filter might help. Our Amazon is producing lots of fluff and dander at the moment, I think he is changing into his winter underwear. If your's is also molting you might find that you are less affected once he stops. I hope so.

Mare Miller

Banned
Banned
May 14, 2011
Media
sierra foothills of central California
Parrots
13yr. old male umbrella cockatoo,
we call him Amigo!

7yr. old Goffin cockatoo, she IS Sassy!!
When Mi Amigo lived in the house, full time, he had major nasal issues! I took him to the vet, she gave me sinus drops for him. Once he became an outside bird, all was good, no more issues. I think he was allergic to himself, his own dander, even with air filters.

SpringCottageParrot

Jun 6, 2012
The Weald of Kent
Parrots
Casper a blue fronted Amazon
How are you doing? Still suffering?
We have bought a state of the art air filter because of Casper's respiration problems so I was surprised and rather disappointed when a visiting friend started to get an allergic* reaction when sitting on the other side of the room from the cage.

*I always thought that people with allergies were wimps until I found out I am gluten intollerant.

Most Reactions

Latest posts