Could my bird be mentally disturbed?

KristianTorst

May 15, 2024
Parrots
Lutino cockatiel
Hey guys, I really don't know what I am doing wrong at this point.
I have a female cockatiel whom I got as a birthday present, so I don't know anything about her origin and the breeder. She would display this weird shaking since the day I got her.
Anyway, I really tried to form a close bond with her over the 3 and something years I owned her. She's got a big cage, lots of toys which she for some reason doesn't play with despite me showing her how countless times. I tried switching the toys even with no results.
I try to talk and interact with her as much as I can, she isn't lacking anything I would say. Her cage door is always opened skshe can come out and play outside if she wants to.
However, here's the problem: she is 1. extremely defensive when I try to touch her inside her cage - she let's me do that outside and displays quite normal behavior.
2. She comes outside VERY RARELY.
But the biggest problem is her uncontrollable screaming and screeching - she starts at 5 AM and doesn't stop until the sunset. Or until I'm so fed up with her I bring her cage outside to talk to the outside birds and watch what is hapoening in the garden. I don't care if she starts screaming there cuz it's bothering no one, just letting her communicate with other animals.
Btw this screaming behavior had let me to having to cover her cage at night with a blanket because I have some sleep issues and NEED to rest well once I fall asleep. I put the blanket away every morning tho.
I've never came across a bird who would act like this despite getting attention and enough toys to entertain themselves. And I'm really worried that if this continues I will have to give her away, which I don't want.
Owning two birds didn't help either, I was petsitting a male cockatiel once and despite then getting along really well, she was still behaving the same and even got worse because of the second bird.
What should I do at this point?

Have you seen a vet yet? She might need checked out

Otherwise I wonder if she is looking for a friend. I got my tiels as a pair and they sing together at 7am but never scream

I am so sorry for you AND your bird...
Who knows what trauma and terror she's been through?
I salute you for caring and trying and reaching out. I would hope that some time and love and patience might help, as she calms and learns that she's safe.
Ideas... maybe a mate, maybe lots of treats and toys, maybe a super-regular routine to show her life is safe ad predictable...
I know we have lots of cockatiel folks here wo might have advice for you.
THAK YOU for helping this little hen!

I have a female cockatiel whom I got as a birthday present, so I don't know anything about her origin and the breeder. She would display this weird shaking since the day I got her.
Anyway, I really tried to form a close bond with her over the 3 and something years I owned her. She's got a big cage, lots of toys which she for some reason doesn't play with despite me showing her how countless times. I tried switching the toys even with no results.
I try to talk and interact with her as much as I can, she isn't lacking anything I would say. Her cage door is always opened skshe can come out and play outside if she wants to.
However, here's the problem: she is 1. extremely defensive when I try to touch her inside her cage - she let's me do that outside and displays quite normal behavior.
But the biggest problem is her uncontrollable screaming and screeching - she starts at 5 AM and doesn't stop until the sunset. Or until I'm so fed up with her I bring her cage outside to talk to the outside birds and watch what is hapoening in the garden. I don't care if she starts screaming there cuz it's bothering no one, just letting her communicate with other animals.
Btw this screaming behavior had let me to having to cover her cage at night with a blanket because I have some sleep issues and NEED to rest well once I fall asleep. I put the blanket away every morning tho.
I've never came across a bird who would act like this despite getting attention and enough toys to entertain themselves. And I'm really worried that if this continues I will have to give her away, which I don't want.
Owning two birds didn't help either, I was petsitting a male cockatiel once and despite then getting along really well, she was still behaving the same and even got worse because of the second bird.
What are you feeding her, and how much?

Birds will shake if the temperature isn’t right, especially if she’s outside. Birds are probably most comfortable between 70-80. If she’s outside, the wind chill will make it feel colder. Keep her cage away from vents and windows.
What are you feeding her, and how much?

Birds will shake if the temperature isn’t right, especially if she’s outside. Birds are probably most comfortable between 70-80. If she’s outside, the wind chill will make it feel colder. Keep her cage away from vents and windows.
Worth mentioning that birds are highly sensitive to smells: cleaners, candles, perfume, fragrance of any kind. Non-stick cooking pans and Teflon coated appliances like air fryers, among others give off fumes that will kill a bird. Can’t use them. Even if you can’t smell it, it still affects them. I would also take your bird to an avian vet since this issue has been going on so long.

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back