Couple of Bourkie Questions

FreddyCheeks

May 8, 2013
Media
NJ
Parrots
Pineapple Green Cheek Conure-Fred-Hatch date 3/5/13 --- Bourke parakeet- Pinky - home date 11/27/17---CAG-Chicken Lily-home date 12/1/17
I recently got two young male Bourke parakeets and there is a few things that I'm not 100% on.

1- Can two males be housed together? These guys are siblings and were housed together at the store.

2- I was under the impression that these little guys were one of the quietest birds, but these lil buggers go off every morning at 630 (and now 745). Is there a way to curb that?

3- Only one of the two sits on the perches. Could this be that it's too young or going back to question one, could it be the ones not letting it up there?

Any help is appreciated, as is any added info.

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
1- Yes

2- In terms of volume, they are pretty quiet! Females do tend to be quieter, though.

3- Any number of reasons. Bourkes are ground foragers, so they can, and will, go to the bottom of a cage and run around or forage. If the bird is sick, that might cause them to be on the ground as well. If they are clipped - another possible reason. Bourkes don't really "climb" like other parrots do - they tend to fly from place to place more like finches.

OP
FreddyCheeks

FreddyCheeks

May 8, 2013
Media
NJ
Parrots
Pineapple Green Cheek Conure-Fred-Hatch date 3/5/13 --- Bourke parakeet- Pinky - home date 11/27/17---CAG-Chicken Lily-home date 12/1/17
Thanks.
They were clipped from the store. I thought they could climb.
I did just downsize the cage though. Maybe this might help.

reeb

Oct 23, 2017
Media
Albums
Cape Town, South Africa
Parrots
Berry (♀ Cockatiel) hatched June 2017
Opal (♂ Budgie) hatched 13 August 2017
Pearl (♀ Budgie) hatched 15 August 2017
+ an aviary of 16 other budgies! all hatched 2014-2017
I agree with everything Monica has said! All parrots make noise, but Bourkes are noticeably quieter. I think people often expect them to be close to silent, but they are still parrots - just think of how quiet your little boys are compared to a sun conure! ❤️ hope you enjoy your new babies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
Bourke parakeets are not natural climbers. They don't climb around cage bars like budgies, cockatiels, conures or many other parrot species do... they fly. They fly from spot to spot. This doesn't mean that they can't learn to climb, but basically, it's like taking a finch and clipping it's wings.... only bourkes are better able to grasp onto cage bars as compared to finches are.

Considering how charming bourke parakeets are, I would *LOVE* to see more of them being kept as pets, but not at the detriment of having their wings clipped... :(

OP
FreddyCheeks

FreddyCheeks

May 8, 2013
Media
NJ
Parrots
I agree with everything Monica has said! All parrots make noise, but Bourkes are noticeably quieter. I think people often expect them to be close to silent, but they are still parrots - just think of how quiet your little boys are compared to a sun conure! ❤️ hope you enjoy your new babies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, I thought quiet. It is a pretty chirp and I don't mind it, it's more the time of day that they chirp. LOL.

Considering how charming bourke parakeets are, I would *LOVE* to see more of them being kept as pets, but not at the detriment of having their wings clipped... :(

Yeah, I'm going to let there wings grow out.

It's funny how they have such different personalities. The one is fine sitting on you, as long as you don't touch it, but the other one does kisses, snuggle in the hair, and doesn't mind being touched.

Nerine

Jan 18, 2017
I keep my bourke's cage mostly covered at night....they seem to be super sensitive to the smallest amount of light, and then they are up, ready to party! lol

Bourkes do best if their wings are not clipped. Mine was heavily clipped when I first got her, and she would crash to the ground like a stone. Although not as nimble as a budgie, she was quite adept at climbing around her cage. My advice would be to keep your bourkes caged until the flight feathers grow back-about 5 or 6 months-before letting them out for some practice flights.

Most Reactions