Creating Peace Between Conure and Dog

Vanessa.V

May 4, 2018
Michigan, USA
Parrots
Elly - sun conure
Oswin - budgie
I had adopted my dog, Pi, back in August. Since then it has been difficult to maintain my sun conureā€™s, Elly, out-of-cage time.

My issue is double-sided. I usually will have my dog in his crate while I have Elly out. However my dog will then whine and bark incessantly because he is upset he canā€™t be out and be part of what is going on. On the flip side, the times I have tried having them both out at the same time, Elly will always try to attack my dog. My dog has learned and is very good with laying down somewhere out of the way and will mind his own business when I have Elly out, but Elly will go out of her way to find him and divebomb attack him.

I keep these sessions very very short because safety is always my main concern.

I suppose I am just wondering if anyone has had any similar experiences and how they went about dealing with it.

In an ideal world, I would love to be able to have them both out at the same time without ā€œdramaā€. Pi can do his own thing without feeling frustrated about being in his crate, and Elly can have her time with me without feeling the need to attack Pi.

Also to clarify, I do not want them interacting with each other. Just want some level of peace in the household if you will.

The most Iā€™ve been able to manage with them both out and Elly not attacking Pi is about 10 minutes. I was just constantly giving treats to Elly.

Jcas

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Jan 9, 2023
Parrots
Quaker, 2 budgies
I had adopted my dog, Pi, back in August. Since then it has been difficult to maintain my sun conureā€™s, Elly, out-of-cage time.

My issue is double-sided. I usually will have my dog in his crate while I have Elly out. However my dog will then whine and bark incessantly because he is upset he canā€™t be out and be part of what is going on. On the flip side, the times I have tried having them both out at the same time, Elly will always try to attack my dog. My dog has learned and is very good with laying down somewhere out of the way and will mind his own business when I have Elly out, but Elly will go out of her way to find him and divebomb attack him.

I suppose I am just wondering if anyone has had any similar experiences and how they went about dealing with it.

In an ideal world, I would love to be able to have them both out at the same time without ā€œdramaā€. Pi can do his own thing without feeling frustrated about being in his crate, and Elly can have her time with me without feeling the need to attack Pi.

Also to clarify, I do not want them interacting with each other. Just want some level of peace in the household if you will.

The most Iā€™ve been able to manage with them both out and Elly not attacking Pi is about 10 minutes. I was just constantly giving treats to Elly.
It can be frustrating when we just want everyone to get along! Honestly, giving Elly treats and attention while Pi is around, and keeping the sessions short, is not a bad idea. The thought being that Elly starts to associate Piā€™s presence with good things. I donā€™t know what your house set up is but maybe keeping Pi nearby but behind a gate initially for safetyā€™s sake might be good? That way Pi doesnā€™t have to be crated but he isnā€™t right by Elly. I have a gate in the doorway to my bird room that gets closed anytime visiting dogs are around but my birds wonā€™t fly out of the room even with the door partly open. If Elly would fly through a doorway into another room where Pi is gated, maybe putting up a screen (like the ones people hang in doorways to keep bugs out ) might help until she gets out of the habit of trying to attack Pi? With intentional training, my own dogs and birds live peacefully in the same house and pretty much ignore each other, so it is possible! Just always put safety first as you seem to be doing šŸ™‚. Good luck!

T00tsyd

May 8, 2017
UK
Parrots
Green cheek conure - Sydney (Syd) Hatched 2/2017
This is a tough one. I have had Syd for about 6 years now and in that time I had my own Alsation cross who I lost to cancer and since then 'babysit' my two daughters' dogs both
Labradors so all large dogs, but none of them had big prey instincts and fortunately Syd is not jealous.
The usual advice is that birds and dogs don't mix and that is really sensible. With each dog I have spent a lot of time shutting them out of the room while Syd had his fly time but as trust and training improved they now are around me at the same time.
I am lucky I guess in that they ignore one another but there have been rare occasions when Syd has shown some interest. Early in our relationship I made sure he understood 'OFF'. He has a liking for my wooden blinds which I don't approve of and that one word from me turns him into a sulky 3yr old with an attitude problem but he moves away especially if I make a move towards him.
I guess it's as much tone of voice as the word itself, but I can pretty much guarantee now that I can stop behaviour when needed. So I guess what I am saying is that training training training consistently and often, and then also train the dog to stop barking. They must realise that they live with us although like all youngsters they learn which buttons to push and try to get the upper hand.

There is one more thig which I think is really relevant. Animals and birds pick up our vibes. If you are freaked so are they. So chill as much as you can and then take charge.

onamom

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
May 9, 2022
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ona: Dilute Green Cheek Conure
Iā€™m fortunate to have really chill senior dogs who for the most part donā€™t care about my bird at all. And my bird certainly doesnā€™t try to attack them either.

I agree with the above suggestion about keeping sessions out together short to start and try to keep your bird distracted with other things. Maybe over time your bird will become more used to the dogā€™s presence.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.

Why can't you put Pi in another room when Elly is out?

onamom

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
May 9, 2022
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ona: Dilute Green Cheek Conure
Why can't you put Pi in another room when Elly is out?
You could but I understand the desire to have a dog and bird be able to ā€œco existā€ (safely). Itā€™s hard when you have multiple pets because you want them ALL to be happy. A dog put in another room will likely cry for attention and feel left out.

Last edited:

Keet_Krazy

Feb 19, 2023
Parrots
Budgies:
Obsidian (M), Snowflake (F), Sunbeam (F), Emelia (F, English), Alinta (F, Bush), Mahlee (M, Bush), Moonstone (M)
Galah:
Quarter (Not DNA'd)
Other:
Quail and Chickens
Does Pi get anything to do while crated? Chews (treat or toy), puzzles, etc?
I do not agree with having dogs (or cats) out with birds, I don't care how well behaved or trained your dog is. It only takes a split second for even an accident (squashed, stepped on, etc.) and your bird suffers or dies. Then you have to live with your dog who caused it. Not a pleasant experience for all involved.
I suggest focusing on making crating a enjoyable experience for Pi.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
She could but I understand the desire to have a dog and bird be able to ā€œco existā€ (safely). Itā€™s hard when you have multiple pets because you want them ALL to be happy. A dog put in another room will likely cry for attention and feel left out.
It would be great for them to coexist. My sense is that it would be easier to train the dog to be calm in the crate than to train the bird not to attack the poor dog.

Most Reactions