Crying Conure :( Please help!

conuremommy

May 30, 2014
Media
Fullerton CA
Parrots
Green Cheeked Conure
Hello everyone, I am wondering if anyone else has come across this issue...
My Green Cheek Conure Boris is VERY attached to me.
Just recently, I was sick for two days - Boris' cage is in the guest room and due to my sickness, my husband slept in there with him and in the night, he said Boris started to wail and cry. He said it sounded very much like a sad, mournful human cry. It happened again the second night. He has slept in there before with him and never heard this.
I don't know what to think? Can Conures actually use emotion in context, like crying when they are sad? At first, I presumed that maybe he was dreaming but my husband said he was moving around in the cage so that wasn't the case.
He said it was the most awful noise and I feel terrible about it.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
Poor little guy probably knew something was wrong and missed you. Kiwi makes a very sad cry when my husband leaves for work every day:( I think parrots are absolutely capable of complex emotions and expressing a emotional response to a specific situation.

ACE209

Jul 28, 2014
Ceres, CA
Parrots
Sherlock - Blue crowned conure 10yr,
Sunny - yellow sided GCC 3yr,
Echo - yellow sided GCC 2yr,
Kiwi - Blue fronted amazon 15yr
RIP Nate - the best cockatiel
He might be trying to get ur husband's attention. Do you cover his cage at night? If he seems to be normal during the day I wonder if it's a cry for attention. If something feels off I think it's time for a trip to the vet just in case there's something else going on, can't be too safe with birds.

erik7181

Jun 2, 2010
Media
Albums
NYC
Parrots
Sun conure
Pickle George
Green cheek
Pepsey
Yes my green cheek does this, perfectly normal. They seem to build a very strong bond with one person.
My green cheek loves my girlfriend but is hit or miss with me.

JosephN79

Dec 17, 2013
Northern Kentucky
Parrots
Kona & Ino: Green Cheeked Conures--

Petey: Yellow Female Parakeet--

Chicken: Blue Male Parakeet--

Pickle: Male Yellow Indian Ringneck--

Girlie: Orange Winged Amazon
Mine do this too. It sounds so sad... but I think they're just calling out.. it's not very loud. It is hard to listen to. But I think just missed you or wondering what's going on.

Most Reactions