danger of mono for birds?

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Lincoln (Eclectus), Apollo (Cockatiel), Aster (GCC)
Hello so I've been very very sick the past few weeks. For a bit I was almost certain I had the virus because whatever i had was acting very similarly to it but right now my area isnt testing unless you need to be hospitalized which i didnt. Fast forward i start to feel a bit better but now my throat just hurts. Feels like I'm swallow glass everytime i swallow. (We really take swallowing for granted...) We though it was strep but I couldn't get into a clinic because of the virus so we couldn't get a test done. We just treated it like we would a normal case of strep but I only got worse. FINALLY got into a clinic today and the strep test came back negative. Oh boy... so we went over everything again and the doctor said it MIGHT be mono and it's been mono all along. We did a blood draw but we wont get the results for a few days most likely. So my question is, are there any dangers of my birds possibly getting sick from me because of it? Any extra precautions I should take?

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
I wouldn't bank on mono...I had it once, but it's unlikely unless you were around someone who had it. This time of the year, something like strep or another virus is more likely-- there are LOTS of viruses that cause terrible sore throats that aren't mono or strep. I have had mono (I think I was 22)...they did blood -work and said, (insensitive award of a lifetime), "well, you either have cancer or mono...we will let you know in 3 days")-- Turns out I had strep and mono at the same time---caught the mono from my SISTER (who I didn't kiss lol) --but I took a sip of her soda on my birthday (3 days before she was diagnoses)..Mono created VISIBLE lumps in my neck-- like tons of nasty b-bs sticking out all over --and it made me tired, but the sore throat was so bad that breathing made me almost throw up. Another trick is that if you have mono and you take an antibiotic for strep , certain types will cause a weird rash---my sister was given an antibiotic when she had mono (b/c they thought it was bacterial) and she got really itchy and red--- it wasn't an allergy to the drug but a response to a typical antibiotic with mono in her system (apparently its common).
Mono usually causes VISIBLY swollen glands-- like, you can usually see them without much effort and in my case, my tonsils will almost entirely white...like....coated in white (even before my dual diagnosis of strep and mono).
My sister fell asleep while making her bed and also had swollen neck issues.

If you think you have mono- avoid tylenol, alcohol and anything else that taxes your liver or spleen. You aren't supposed to drink or take certain meds for months.

Birds, as far as I know...cannot catch mono--- still, if you have a virus, you are more able to pick up and get sick from common bacteria(many of which a bird could catch) so do be careful.

Last edited:
OP
Owlet

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Yeah my tonsils are atrocious and I have massive lumps on my neck right now and the doc said since I work at a place with lots of contact it's possible i got it from someone just sneezing or coughing OR i could have somehow gotten it from my girlfriend who was visiting from out of state early march but as far as she is aware she hasn't had mono so i really dont know. All I can do is wait until I get the test results back

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Yeah- could be then-- don't take anything to stress your liver etc-- no drinks and avoid any meds like Tylenol unless you talk to a doctor first. You generally have to wait 1-3 months before resuming use of those products.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Amoxicillin is the drug that usually causes a rash in patients with mono--fyi.

OP
Owlet

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
amoxicillin is what I was taking I believe when we thought it was strep and that just made it worse. And I've been taking tylenol regularly because I'm not allowed to take ibuprofen or motrin due to some ongoing stomach issues that they could be making worse and I was having ongoing fevers for a bit. I'll talk to my doctor and see what they say about continuing use of tylenol but they did give me some steroids to help with the swelling and that's done miracles all ready so I'm not sure I'll even need to take the tylenol.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Mono spreads by kissing or sharing food or drink with an infected person.

I got mono at 40 from sharing a glass of wine with a group of kayakers, 12 if us ended up getting it!

It was terrible! My neck swelled, my liver and spleen swelled, I had fever for weeks, even turned yellow!

It is also thought to have caused my Myasthenia gravis, as there is a link between this autoimmune disease and Epstein Barr vurus causing immune system to go haywire.

I feel for you whatever you have. Abdvwidh you a speedy recovery, with no complications!!

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
amoxicillin is what I was taking I believe when we thought it was strep and that just made it worse. And I've been taking tylenol regularly because I'm not allowed to take ibuprofen or motrin due to some ongoing stomach issues that they could be making worse and I was having ongoing fevers for a bit. I'll talk to my doctor and see what they say about continuing use of tylenol but they did give me some steroids to help with the swelling and that's done miracles all ready so I'm not sure I'll even need to take the tylenol.

IF it is mono--- most of the time amoxicillin will give you a rash.

OP
Owlet

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots

IF it is mono--- most of the time amoxicillin will give you a rash.

as far as I'm aware I have no rash and haven't had excess itching anywhere however I want on the amoxicillin long only a couple days so I have no idea. I'll just wait until I get my blood results back and go from there but if there's any precautions I can/should take with the birds until then that's be good to know

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
I would wash hands and no let them near your mouth/eyes.

OP
Owlet

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Test came back positive. My live values were off the charts and my doctor had to clarify that I wasnt a raging alcoholic xD just gonna continue being cautious with the birds

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
So sorry honey!! You must be very careful and rest rest rest. It's very important not to tax your body while you have mono. You must baby yourself to the fullest, and not feel one but guilty! You must stay home and in bed as much as possible!

I made the mistake if pushing myself, and made it worse and last longer.

Hugs to you

OP
Owlet

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Yeah there's a small possibility that I've had low grade mostly asymptomatic mono for awhile (4-5 months..) there's no way to confirm it but the timeline and what I've been experiencing the past few months supports the idea. My doctor said it's a possibility. I'm so glad my work place isnt penalizing people for missing work because of the virus. Giving me lots of time to get better.

Most Reactions

Latest posts