Day Gecko Care

aliray

Jan 28, 2012
Rotonda West , Fla
Parrots
yellow sided green cheek conure,Chiquita Quaker parrot Sweetie Pie, African red bellied parrot Tiki, spanish timbrado canary Lucas
Thanks for the article Frank. If I was a lot younger I probably would have tried keeping some lizards but now I really enjoy watching all the Cuban Brown Anoles that live in my yard, living their little lizard lives, their territorial displays, finding good tasty morsels and the occaional ones they spit back out. Shake their head and you could almost hear them say YUK. I do realise that they are not native and unfortunatley I don't have any of the native green anoles:)

aliray

Jan 28, 2012
Rotonda West , Fla
Parrots
yellow sided green cheek conure,Chiquita Quaker parrot Sweetie Pie, African red bellied parrot Tiki, spanish timbrado canary Lucas
Frank I do have a question for you. I live in a very large deed restricted community that has 30 miles of canals running through it plus 5 golf golfcoarses with water features. My lot borders one of the water features witch is about 300 feet long and 50 feet wide and connected underground thru tunnels to another oversized pond and possibly to the rest of the canal system. The problem is the golf coarse keeps the edges clear of vegetation. There are gaters , cooters, softshells many kinds of fish and tons of wading birds. Now to my question. Each year I find a few baby turtles in my yard and my neighbor also brings me a present of and she finds in her yard. I am afraid to put them in my canal Because all I see are full grown no young ones ans there is no place to hide. I take them a couple of miles away to an area of the canal that has been planted around the edges with pickeral weed and other water plants so they at least have a chance. Good or bad idea? These are little green turtles and also baby softshells. Is that okay to do? I do know the adults have a strong homing instinct. Thanks Alison:confused:

OP
F

findi

Jan 28, 2012
Thanks for the article Frank. If I was a lot younger I probably would have tried keeping some lizards but now I really enjoy watching all the Cuban Brown Anoles that live in my yard, living their little lizard lives, their territorial displays, finding good tasty morsels and the occaional ones they spit back out. Shake their head and you could almost hear them say YUK. I do realise that they are not native and unfortunatley I don't have any of the native green anoles:)

Thanks for the kind words and interesting note...observing a close-at hand population like that is the absolute best way to really understand any animal...I'm jealous! I've had that type ofsituation a few times, and remeber each fondly..many legendary naturalists spent much of their time that way. Green anoles are in trouble in much of Fla, unfortunately; introduced species seem a dominant factor, please keep me posted; any brown anole notes you have time to post here would be greatly apprciated, best, Frank

OP
F

findi

Jan 28, 2012
Frank I do have a question for you. I live in a very large deed restricted community that has 30 miles of canals running through it plus 5 golf golfcoarses with water features. My lot borders one of the water features witch is about 300 feet long and 50 feet wide and connected underground thru tunnels to another oversized pond and possibly to the rest of the canal system. The problem is the golf coarse keeps the edges clear of vegetation. There are gaters , cooters, softshells many kinds of fish and tons of wading birds. Now to my question. Each year I find a few baby turtles in my yard and my neighbor also brings me a present of and she finds in her yard. I am afraid to put them in my canal Because all I see are full grown no young ones ans there is no place to hide. I take them a couple of miles away to an area of the canal that has been planted around the edges with pickeral weed and other water plants so they at least have a chance. Good or bad idea? These are little green turtles and also baby softshells. Is that okay to do? I do know the adults have a strong homing instinct. Thanks Alison:confused:

Sounds like a very interesting place. Young ones would probably stay if re-located, and some that remain do likely survive..softshells esp are less dependent on vegetation as they tend to dig down into the substrate to hide. Hatchling turtles are a major food source in their habitats..consumed by everything from giant watersbugs and fish to herons, even under ideal conditons, few survive, but I understand your thoughts...I've relocated common snappers in several places along the bronx River, where survival prospects were poor, best, Frank

aliray

Jan 28, 2012
Rotonda West , Fla
Parrots
When I was young I used to pick up a baby snapping turtle every year and keep it as a pet till the following year then put that one back in the river and bring home another one till the following year. I wouldn't do it now but that was a lot of years ago when I bought home any critter that I could catch that didn't run faster or bite back too hard. I am still facinated with nature and wildlife:)

OP
F

findi

Jan 28, 2012
When I was young I used to pick up a baby snapping turtle every year and keep it as a pet till the following year then put that one back in the river and bring home another one till the following year. I wouldn't do it now but that was a lot of years ago when I bought home any critter that I could catch that didn't run faster or bite back too hard. I am still facinated with nature and wildlife:)

All good animal people started out by collecting everything that came their way...it's trendy now for zoologists to deny this. I still do the same with snappers for my little nephew; hopefully this year will find and hatch a few eggs; here in NY most females tend to lay on 1st rainy night in June. No harm done, and immense value to the child (and me!). I've even set up eggs for a local Buddist monastary...prior to that members would buy and release sliders, Fla softshells and other non-natives each spring.

best, Frank

Most Reactions