Dealing with Mice Safely?

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
What's a Nooski trap ?

Casey

May 26, 2012
NJ
Parrots
GCC: Pretty Bird h.1/10/12 & CAG: Mj h. 2/18/12 & Scarlet Macaw: Scarlet h. 7/12/12
What about the electric zappers? If you have mice (and not rats), most of the medium/larger birds wouldn't fit in them, so it would be less of a hazard for the birds. They are humane since they don't feel pain.

You obviously have not been electrocuted. It is very painful!!

If you were electrocuted, how would you know it hurt? :09:
You're dead! :D

e·lec·tro·cute ( -l k tr -ky t ) tr.v. e·lec·tro·cut·ed, e·lec·tro·cut·ing, e·lec·tro·cutes
1. To kill with electricity: a worker who was electrocuted by a high-tension wire.
2. To execute (a condemned prisoner) by means of electricity or a nasty mouse

Last edited:

Thingamagigs

Oct 13, 2012
Brisbane, QLD, Australia
Parrots
Mana the manic female galah; yet to be named male corella
If you were electrocuted, how would you know it hurt? :09:
You're dead! :D

e·lec·tro·cute ( -l k tr -ky t ) tr.v. e·lec·tro·cut·ed, e·lec·tro·cut·ing, e·lec·tro·cutes
1. To kill with electricity: a worker who was electrocuted by a high-tension wire.
2. To execute (a condemned prisoner) by means of electricity or a nasty mouse

All you need to do is be zapped to actually know its painful to have electricity pass through your body! Its ridiculous that people have zero empathy for creatures such as mice and rats. While a pest in the home, they are still a living feeling creature which deserves a humane death. There are many legal ways to kill an animal that aren't humane. Even drowning rats and mice in certain states in Australia is not illegal. Even our own government POISONS cockatoos and dingoes and other native species who they deem make an agricultural impact!

Inverse... that nooski is interesting! It would be a highly effective trap for rats!! Rats are notorious for being able to take bait from snaps or getting a limb or tail caught instead. I wish I had known about them when I lived out in the country. They would come into the house and lived in the roof... they brought paralysis ticks into the house!! I woke up with one tiny one on my back... it hurt for days and I had a huge numb spot... I cant imagine what it would feel like for a poor little dog :(

Conuregirl

Jan 16, 2012
New Jersey
Parrots
Oliver the nanday conure (rescue), Suki the green cheek conure, Picabo the Hahn's Macaw, and Big Bird the dove
this thread has gotten really interesting and informative for me! i feel guilty though because i really hate all vermin. i grew up in a home infested with them. mice would run across my bed, clinged to clothes in my closet, and chewed through the wood of my dresser drawers. it was pretty bad for me and they ate my dove and dog's food. mice used to run in my dove's cage and eat her seeds. it really made me frustrated and disgusted. i seriously hate mice lol. when they eat and contaminate your food and home; your stance may change. i am just relieved we do not have mice now.

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Don't feel guilty, please! Mice ARE vermin, and they CAN carry disease. :) I sure don't pity them as the trap smacks down on them. ;)

Inverse

Nov 16, 2012
Exmouth, Western Australia
Parrots
Rainbow Lorikeet
What's a Nooski trap ?

It snaps a rubber ring around the mouse/rat and asphyxiates it.
Much more humane than electrocuting it and a lot better than a snap trap.
Sometimes a snap trap will just catch a leg or will break their back, meaning they die a pretty slow and painful death. You can also get glue boards which are a horrific way to be captured (still alive for hours totally stuck down) and baiting just means they die somewhere in your house and stink.
I know that asphyxiation isn't exactly the nicest way to go, but it's the better option of the bunch I believe.
And yes, they are living feeling animals but they are also vermin and in Australia, also feral and an introduced species so I really have no qualms about dealing with them appropriately.

Inverse

Nov 16, 2012
Exmouth, Western Australia
Parrots
Rainbow Lorikeet
Don't watch if you are sensitive to watching animals die, but it does show the effectiveness of the trap.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGM-eS4Nrmk]NOOSKI INNOVATIVE TRAP - YouTube[/ame]

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
No problem. i like them, just a new trap to me. Kind of pricey but i might get a couple. Oh and wendy,,,i have a uncle who would get drunk and sit up at night with a 20ga and shot pack rats. He'd cut the shell and dump out the shot, shot the rats with the "wadding" that cushions the shot. 2 am.. kaboom in the house. LOL Ever shoot a shotgun in a house?? at night?? my family is kind of crazy

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
No problem. i like them, just a new trap to me. Kind of pricey but i might get a couple. Oh and wendy,,,i have a uncle who would get drunk and sit up at night with a 20ga and shot pack rats. He'd cut the shell and dump out the shot, shot the rats with the "wadding" that cushions the shot. 2 am.. kaboom in the house. LOL Ever shoot a shotgun in a house?? at night?? my family is kind of crazy

LMAO! Now THAT sounds like my kind of fun night. :D I have shot a shotgun, but never in the house, and not at night either. Crazy? Doesn't sound crazy. Sounds like you get a whole lot of laughs from your family. :)

Most Reactions