The right addition?

Evanskiver

Jun 11, 2011
Villa Rica, GA
Parrots
Tyrael - Alexandrine
Reptar - White Fronted Amazon Rescue
We are very eager to add a new family member to our home and have gone through the long list of potential additions and need some information and opinions on the correct move.

So far we have decided that we would like a larger bird that our Amazon and preferrably one that will cuddle and learn to speak. This has brought us to the options of Macaw or a Grey. We thought about a Cockatoo for a time but I cannot take on a bird so prone to plucking and not feel guilty that when I pass, its life may be horrible like the many pictures I have been seeing.

We have been told also that you absolutely cannot be away for a normal 8 hour work day with a cockatoo and that they will self mutlilate, which is very depressing because this was by far our first option.

So I ask, is the information I recieved about the cockatoo wrong? And if it is not, what are your thoughts on a Grey?

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
African greys are known to be neurotic if not raised right... Neurotic in the sense that they may freak out about new things within their environment... and I've heard of greys plucking simply because they had clipped wings! Raised well, they are excellent additions to the family! Same can be said for cockatoos!

Have you considered some of the more independent species of cockatoos? Such as ducorps, bare eyed, galah, major mitchel and sulphur crested cockatoos? (to name some) These guys are less known for destructive behaviors and may be more nippy and opinionated, but can still make a great addition!

Or, if you have your heart set on a "problem 'too species" (aka 'toos known to have behavior issues), why not go with an adult 'too? One that doesn't pluck, is already sweet and knows how to talk? There are a lot of great 'toos in need of homes! That way, there's less of a chance of over-spoiling a chick, then having the bird change as an adult.

I wouldn't say the information you received about cockatoos is wrong.... but I wouldn't say it's right, either. It's so easy to over-spoil a cockatoo and love on them all the wrong ways. It may be difficult to find the perfect balance of loving a 'too, but not too much or too little. The main thing is that if you do get a cockatoo, you want to encourage the bird to be as independent as possible while still enjoying human interaction. In this way, you wont end up (hopefully) with a bird that relies on humans as their sole way of enrichment.

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
If you like the idea of Macaws, I'd recommend looking into a Green Wing :D They are considered "gentle giants".

I can't speak for Cockies, never had the pleasure of being owned by one. However, my GF bred them for the longest time, and they "can be" some handfuls.

As for greys, never owned one of those super intelligent beauties either, but there are MANY experienced Grey owners on this forum. :)

Just remember, no 2 birds are ever alike. What works with/for one, may not work at all for another.

Please stay open-minded about all your options, and most importantly, if you follow your heart and let the bird pick you, you most likely can't go wrong. :)

Thingamagigs

Oct 13, 2012
Brisbane, QLD, Australia
Parrots
Mana the manic female galah; yet to be named male corella
There is a lot of misinformation about cockatoos out there because people try desperately to discourage others from getting them. Every species is different and some more appropriate than others.

A rose breasted cockatoo will do fine while you are away for a full 8 hour day. In fact most of the small cockatoos will if you have other birds for them to talk to, but I know for certain a galah will be fine with it, as long as it gets appropriate out time when you are home.

Of the likely hundreds of thousands of galahs owned as pets in Australia VERY FEW ever pluck... even when left in a tiny cage alone and fed an all seed diet. I was absolutely shocked when I heard Americans describe them as a species prone to plucking. What that means, I am not certain... but when you think that a small handful of the MANY birds in this country pluck... and the very few and treasured creatures over seas have plucking issues... one has to wonder whether its genetics or even just that because they are such treasured creatures over seas the "pressure" is too much. A well raised galah treated in a laid back manner grows to be a well balanced bird who is a true pleasure to own and is clever and adaptable. If you are after a comical little bird who is laid back and doesnt take life too seriously and will love a cuddle... a galah is perfect. Not to mention size wise, the amazon and galah are comparable.

I cant comment on the others... but I am getting a corella (bare eyed cockatoo) soon... from what I can gather through sources and youtube is that a corella is a bit more intelligent, more emotional and has a kind of evil streak to them LOL Where as galahs truly are innocent and oblivious clowns... corellas have an evil intelligence, even when they are being sweet there is a cheeky voice in their heads telling them to do evil! LMFAO

In my opinion... galahs are in a league of their own. Nothing is as well balanced and as suitable as a pet (out of the cockatoos). Here I am saying this and about to bring a corella into my home ;) but I am fully aware and prepared for their cheeky evil ways LOL

OOwl

Oct 12, 2010
Texas
Parrots
Rosebreasted Cockatoo, Congo Grey, MRH Amazon, Lovebird
I have a rosebreasted cockatoo and he's very affectionate, the best talker in my flock, and he's not particularly needy, messy, nippy, or loud. He's ten years old now and has never plucked. He plays, talks to himself, loves Animal Planet on TV, and chews wood like he's getting paid to do it. I can also hand him to ANYONE (he's very social with strangers, and I LOVE sharing my parrots with others). He also gets along with my other birds, including the 20-year-old female Amazon and a 9-year-old male Grey. I love RB 'toos. I think they're awesome pets, like big, pink cockatiels. I can't say they're ALL like this because this is the only one I've ever lived with or known this well, but he's the easiest bird in my flock. Good luck on your choice!

Conuregirl

Jan 16, 2012
New Jersey
Parrots
Oliver the nanday conure (rescue), Suki the green cheek conure, Picabo the Hahn's Macaw, and Big Bird the dove
how much time do you have for the new bird? i was thinking of getting a grey or a too before but changed my mind. I have noticed when i go to the bird store for supplies and clippings, all the (u2) toos and greys people bring for clippings are plucked and bald.

i really love macaws. have you considered a mini macaw like a severe?

Boysmom

Nov 17, 2011
Atlanta, Georgia
Parrots
Ruby- Solomans Island Grand Eclectus ***
Flora- Panama Amazon
My son recently got a U2, she is a 5 year old rehome. She doesnt pluck at all and is only mildly loud at sunrise and sunset. She usually awakens us by talking and if left covered for 30 or more minutes after the talking begins, she will scream a bit. She does speak much more than scream though. She is very loving and cuddly and has in 2 and 1/2 weeks already learned the household schedule. She knows when its time to homeschool and usually naps during that time. Our only problem with her is that she is a picky eater and came to us on the skinny size. We have gotten her eating better though by using nutri berries crumbled on regular pellets. When she came to us she had alot of new blood feathers and was prone to over preening them, we had to pull one the second night. Plucking has not been a problem though, but she is scared of new things. Consider an Eclectus, we adore our Ruby and she is great with our other birds and doesnt pluck at all either.

OP
E

Evanskiver

Jun 11, 2011
Villa Rica, GA
Parrots
Tyrael - Alexandrine
Thank you all for your advice! We have had an opportunity arise that we may take advantage of.

A week or so ago, we were trying to purchase a 1.5 year old grey with papers etc. The seller decided to go with someone else. However, I just recieved a message asking if we were still interested. So, I am awaiting a return call from the seller to get a bit more information.

Here is the deal:

Holly the 18 month old Congo African Grey
All of her medical records and certifications etc.
Information on the breeder
Cage
Toys
Food

Asking: $600

Any thoughts? I feel this is a good buy but would like some outside advice.

Boysmom

Nov 17, 2011
Atlanta, Georgia
Parrots
Ruby- Solomans Island Grand Eclectus ***
Flora- Panama Amazon
Be careful this is not a scam, it seems Grey's are the most offered bird for scams. It's a good price if it comes to fruition. Good luck I hope you dont have your dreams crushed.

OP
E

Evanskiver

Jun 11, 2011
Villa Rica, GA
Parrots
Tyrael - Alexandrine
He says he will deliver it tonight around 5 so I have to assume it is legit. It is a sad story, the owner of the bird is the sellers father who got diagnosed with brain cancer and his son is trying to sell it because the father no longer can care for it. :(

SandyBee

Oct 5, 2012
Coquitlam BC, Canada
Parrots
DYH Amazon-Rescue- Bosley (36),
African Brown head-Rescue- August(9)
Aww
That's sad about the owner.
Good luck with the new addition, she will need lots of TLC too.

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
$600 for the package deal is a GREAT price, but ONLY if you can first "meet" the bird, and look over all the documentation. :)

Additionally, make sure you and Holly "click". ;)

Ask questions, many of them. Why is she being rehomed? What were the circumstances? What diet is she on? What vet has she seen? Do they offer a health guarantee, meaning do they give you 48 hours to have her seen by a vet, and IF the vet finds something wrong, will they refund the money?

Unfortunately blood work will usually take much longer than 48 hours to come back.

Most importantly: Use common sense. :)

OP
E

Evanskiver

Jun 11, 2011
Villa Rica, GA
Parrots
Tyrael - Alexandrine
Regretably, this is not that type of situation. This guy isn't interested in the right way, he just wants to sell. Even worse is that I believe he already sold her 1 time and is now selling again. While this appears that he is willing to take back the bird, I worry about why she was brought back.

Sadly I feel terrible for this bird and know it needs a good home regardless. It lost it's owner, got put into another home, and sent back again. Now he is giving it to the next person with cash.

While I understand the risks involved in buying on site and without a bonding time, I feel that for the birds sake, it is best that we take the risk. She is coming with all her papers and I am told she is hand tame. Poor bird just wants to go home and is getting thrown around.

He did tell me that she had a clean bill of health and had recently been to a vet. It seems that his father took wonderful care, but the son just wants to be rid of it.

Here to hoping everything goes well. I can be sure of only one thing, that bird will have a happy forever home!

Most Reactions

Latest posts