Dehydration

Serar

Feb 6, 2012
Vancouver, BC
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure
Helloo~

So, my husband and I moved into a south facing, top floor suite of a 3 story apartment building at the start of June. There's 1 window in the bedroom and the other window is the sliding door which is takes up the whole wall of the living space. Previously we lived in a ground level/basement suite of a home that stayed fairly cool in the summer and was very well ventilated.

Since we've moved in and the weather has gotten between 20-30C, I've noticed our GCC's (Scout) poop seeming quite dry and it looks difficult for her to pass. Maybe not painful, but it definitely isn't as liquidy/soft looking and it doesn't seem as easy for her to let loose.

We change her food twice a day and water whenever needed, so nothing like that has changed. I really think it's just how HOT the apartment gets. I keep the fan on all day and the drapes closed, but for security reasons I can't leave the sliding door or bedroom window open while we are not home. The place doesn't even cool off until 9pm.

I'm not sure how to get more liquid into her during the 8-10 hours that we are not home during the day. This is a new issue for me, so I'm clueless on what else I can do! :confused: I've started getting her to take baths every day, or at least get misted if she doesn't want to go full out and making sure to give her a few pieces of fruit in her food dish while I'm at work.

Scout might still be a bit stressed from the move, but that was 27 days ago. I'm just not sure. :(

Doublete

Mar 15, 2015
Maryland
Parrots
"Loki" turquoise GCC 1/4/15 hatch date-- "Chiqui" amazon 9/2010 hatch date---- "Banner" green parrotlet hatchdate 11/22/16

RIP "pineapple" lovebird
Fresh fruit and veggies are big sources of water...

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
How hot does it actually get in your apartment? You mentioned the weather outside getting to between 20 and 30 degrees Celcius, but that should be within the acceptable range for a parrot. (Well, 30C/86F might be pushing it on the upper boundary.) But if it's getting significantly warmer inside you might be in the danger zone for what a parrot can safely handle.

Also, what is her diet? Increasing the amount of fruits and veggies beyond what they're currently eating could help get them more hydrated.

If you suspect dehydration, however, you should get her checked by an avian vet. Things can go downhill very quickly with birds, so it's better to play it safe.

BoomBoom

May 2, 2012
Parrots
Boomer (Sun Conure 9 yrs), Pewpew (Budgie 5 yrs), Ulap (Budgie 2 yrs), Eight & Kiki (Beloved Budgies, RIP)
Introducing a humidifier is essential when you turn the AC on because AC's dry up the room fast. Plants also serve as natural humidifiers, and much more healthy.

Regarding your question, I'd leave a kabob of fresh fruits and veggies in the cage every day. Your bird can hydrate from eating fresh produce too. I'm in the camp of fresh over processed food (as long as you keep it well rounded and provide complete vitamin and mineral supplementation). Back to the kabob, I literally take a disposable skewer, put sliced apples, bell peppers, Brocoli, orange, grapes, canteloup, etc. and hang it vertically through the cage roof grates and clip the pointy end with one of those office paper clamps (the largest size). It will never fall as long as you use the right clamp and the right size. You've seen these clamps I'm sure (stainless steel handles, black metal clamp in the shape of a triangle).

Stress is also a very real issue. For stressed birds, adding probiotic powder is very helpful. It helps boost their immune system. I put a tiny amount in my sun conure's drinking water 3-4 times a week, regardless of whether he's stressed or not.

Also as a poster mentioned, a trip to an Avian vet is in order. What you suspect to be dehydration may be indicative of something else. It will put your mind at ease, if anything else.

Last edited:

jiannotto9492

Jun 14, 2015
Long Island, New York
Parrots
Curry the Indian Ringneck
The fan is actually making your bird warmer. If you really want to get your apartment cooler for your bird you should get a cooler and fill it with ice and water, leave it open, and put a fan on top of it. Fan's just circulate hot air and the reason why we feel cooler with fans is because our sweat is being evaporated causing a cooling sensation. Birds can not sweat and therefore they're just getting hotter from the fan.

BoomBoom do you leave the kabob in the cage all day?

Most Reactions