DeRita and I and our first week

Nakiska

May 30, 2011
Washington
Parrots
4 Cockatiels 2 males Chicken Little & Charlie, 2 Females Chiquita and Sweet pea. Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure -Franklin and our now tame, rescued feral Pigeon - Belle.
Good Morning everyone!

Stopping by to give everyone a DeRita update. It's officially been a week with her...today is actually our 8th day together.

I LOVE HER!

I was initially really bummed after receiving a pretty stout bite within the first 3 minutes of DeRita ever setting eyes on me due to Lisa trying to force her on me when she CLEARLY wasn't ready.

The following picture sort of shows the bruising around where she broke the skin, through a fairly thick sweater...this was the 4th day after the bite, I sort of outlined the bruise because I was having hard time getting it to show up on my phone. I do not bruise easily, usually not at all...so when I got bit, she meant business! I suppose if it wasn't for Lisa jerking her away from me and my long sleeves...I might be missing a chunk from my arm.

nakiska-albums-our-birds-picture15307-img-20150908-234100.jpg

As most of you will remember, it was a few days before I had some alone time with her and finally got to hold her for the first time and we haven't looked back since!

She is a TOTAL JOY! She melts me!

I was told she preferred men over women and frankly, from what I was told of the first woman she engaged with, I can see why as the woman apparently "hated" her and along with her "daddy" passing away, she started plucking.

I fully expected I would eventually, over time, build a working relationship with DeRita. I never expected that her and I would be "besties" soo soon! :D

My husband, after a horrible ongoing experience with our adopted Sun conure is definitely beak shy! So he's very cautious of DeRita even though she hasn't even hinted at being nippy or aggressive toward him. I crack up laughing every time he wants to spend time with DeRita, because he comes out dressed like this.

nakiska-albums-our-birds-picture15318-img-20150912-114548.jpg

She doesn't seem to care one bit and what ever makes him "confident" enough to handle her. Hahaha!

DeRita and I on the other hand...

nakiska-albums-our-birds-picture15319-img-20150912-095452221.jpg

nakiska-albums-our-birds-picture15320-deritaandi09122015.jpg

I wish DeRita didn't know her name so well...because frankly...I just don't like it :( I think she looks much more like an Abby to me.

Aside from that, we have an appointment with our wonderful vet on Wednesday, overall check up and starting point.

In the mean time, DeRita is engaging with all of us in the family very well, she is so good natured. She is eating very good! She LOVES to eat!

She is surprisingly quiet! I didn't expect that from her. She pretty much feeds off the noise in the house, if I am talking and singing with her, she is talking and singing, if I am quiet, she is quiet. If I come home and say Hellooo DeRita! She hollers back HELLOOO! HI!! Her contact call, if I leave the room puts me in stitches, because she yells...HEEELLLLP! HEELLLLLP!!

I holler back...Oh No! Are you OK?!?! And then she laughs! hahahaha!

She makes all sorts of grunts, growls, and humming sounds when she eats. It's soo cute! She sort of snores when she sleeps as well. She is an absolute doll!

She has settled into life around here unbelievably well. And soo fast!

I am a school bus driver and when I had to start work on the 9th I expected we might have a bit of a set back because of the mornings being all screwed up, but...much to my amazement, she took it all in stride. No big deal to DeRita.

The only thing I haven't yet tried with her is a shower/bath. I know she has a definite fear of a spray bottle, it was used a punishment and when she see's one, she runs! Lisa said it was a battle to bathe her, so I've instead been trying to spend a lot of time with her in our bathroom and while I'm washing dishes...hoping to see some interest in water. At this point, I'm not super concerned if she bathes or not, I mean, heck..it's only been a week!

There is so much more I'm sure I want to brag to you all about her, but it's nearly 11:00 a.m. here and I have to get out and get the rest of the farm chores done.

Have a great day all!

Toni

OP
Nakiska

Nakiska

May 30, 2011
Washington
Parrots
4 Cockatiels 2 males Chicken Little & Charlie, 2 Females Chiquita and Sweet pea. Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure -Franklin and our now tame, rescued feral Pigeon - Belle.
Oh, also I did weigh her today, she is 501 grams. When I pick up our Franklin after holding her, he is light as a feather at 63 grams :)

kq_fan

Jun 26, 2013
Media
Seattle, Washington
Parrots
Lilo - Female Green Cheek Conure ~ Pal - male cockatiel ~ Pheobe - female cockatiel
Yay! I'm so excited for you!!!:jumping40 That is so good that she is enjoying herself with you guys! And I will say, thank you for helping her and giving her the love she wants and needs! :D

Last edited:

Kyoto

Mar 18, 2015
Media
Halifax, NS, Canada
Parrots
Kyoto (AKA Kyo)-Green Cheek Conure
Charlie - Canary
Tommy - Budgie
Sunny - budgie
Haha looks familiar!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 68

Dinosrawr

Aug 15, 2013
Saskatoon, SK, Canada
Parrots
Avery, a GCC born on March 5th, 2013 & Shiko, a blue IRN born on February 25th, 2014
You're positively glowing in those photos with DeRita :) And I got a good laugh out of your husband's battle armour... he looks prepared for the worst of bites, hahaha!

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
With time, your husband will become more comfortable with the 'big bill' in the house and will lighten up on the dress code.

Please remember that it is important that both of you are bring stuff to and/or transporting around your Amazon. This way, she will develop a more equal comfort with both of you. As your general comfort level increases, introduce her to people who visit. As she show an increase in interest, allow others to have her sit on their lower arm. NOTE: As you have experienced, it not something that you ever what to force. But with time and experience with her, you will get to a point that everyone is comfortable with the socializing.

So, very happy for all of you!

OP
Nakiska

Nakiska

May 30, 2011
Washington
Parrots
Ha-ha! Awesome Kyoto! Hubby says...see! I'm NOT the only one!

Sailboat. Thanks for your advice. It is very hard for me not to be the DeRita hog in the house...I actually have been very conscious about encouraging hubby and son to spend quality time with her, get to know her, talk to her, respond when she calls out, share snacks, etc, while I step back.

When my daughter stopped by for a visit, she gave DeRita treats and talked to her. DeRita was very well behaved. Unlike our little bully bird Franklin! He is a tiny (63 grams) green cheek with little bird syndrome big time!

DeRita is definitely becoming more brave in the home, yesterday she climbed down off her play stand and started exploring the house. She hadn't attempted that at all so you can imagine my surprise when turned around and she was gone! I found her checking out the closet.

I thought.. Uh oh... Here we go!

When I offered my hand for her to step up...she lowered her head to be scritched and when I said...Noo...step up! She totally turned and walked away! Hahah!

I tried a couple more times, but she was insistent on checking out the closet so I ended up getting a stick for her to step up on and get her put back where I wanted her.

She didn't act like she was going to bite, but she was making that growling sound and I'm not yet sure if she will lash out when pressured in that state of mind, or just bluff... So I err on the side of caution and get the stick...just in case!

Anyway...as of now, everyone is positively engaging with her and other than my first meeting with her, no one else has been bit.

She definitely tries to avoid biting, if she doesn't want to go to someone, she lowers her head, turns and walks off....often laughing... Which totally cracks me up!

Of course it's only been a week and we are still getting to know her. But so far, she has not shown aggression.

Hubby just left today for his first week away since we brought her home. It will be interesting to see how she responds when he returns. He travels a lot for work, so DeRita and I being "besties" is actually a good thing as myself and my son will be the ones to spend the most time with her.

Well, have a great day everyone!

Toni

Most Reactions

Latest posts