Dexter's loud Hi's and Bye's

Wally

Aug 15, 2010
Parrots
Jenday Conure (Dexter)
I got a Jenday Conure a little over a week ago and he's a bit of a greeter. He gets really loud (squawking, high pitched squeaks and what not) when people enter and leave the living room. I assume he's saying "Hi" and "Bye" and wants some sort of response back so usually I greet him back and he sort of goes quiet but I'm wondering if there is a different way to reduce is noise making.

Any input or suggestions will be greatly appreciated :)

Bobby34231

Jun 25, 2010
Media
Albums
Sarasota,Florida
Parrots
Quincy - Blue Throated Macaw, Skittles and Dusty - Rose Breasted Too's,
Joey - Yellow Crown Amazon, Ashley - CAG
Hey Joey, conures as a rule are generaly a noisy bunch to begin with, I don't know that theres a lot you can do to really quiet them down, you have to remember that most parrots are flocking animals, vocalization is a way of keeping in contact with the flock, especially when they know their close but cannot visually see them, it could well be that Dexter sees you as his flock, parrots are highly intellegent and will also do things just to get a response, he knows if he squawks, you respond, if its something that doesn't last long, or it doesn't disrupt the household I wouldn't worry about it, if it is a problem then I would try ignoring the squawaks and see if he'll quiet down quicker that way.....good luck :)

SunMommy

Nov 6, 2011
Michigan
Parrots
Pyro, my new baby sun conure
I love the name Dexter. Did you name him after the Showtime series? That's my favorite show!

Most Reactions

Latest posts