Did she ingest plastic?

Buttons

Mar 5, 2014
Upstate New York
Parrots
Lampshade (Blue Crown Conure),
Spook and Yellow (Budgies)
My blue crown conure, Lampshade, was biting on a plastic closure buckle on a back pack and I can see that some small thin pieces came off. If she ingested some of these, how dangerous is it? Would they get digested or become impacted? If digested, is the plastic poisonous? I can tell she's not feeling well - nippy and tired at times (yesterday she tucked her head in while sleeping but did not tuck one foot in). Her droppings seem smaller than usual and a little watery.
I have an appointment at the vet's today so hopefully will have some good news.

BEWolf

Mar 5, 2014
Lansing, NC, USA
Parrots
Harley and Marley mated pair of budgies, age unknown
Rajah and Keeta, mated pair of parrotlets, ages 6yrs. and 11yrs. respectively
Kiki, Senegal, F., 7yrs.
Kookooloo, CAG, F., 14 yrs.
Mimi, YHA, F., 1
She cannot digest plastic. She could pass it and if she does then all is good, in not it could get hung up either in crop or in intestines and create a blockage. I think that it is good that you are taking her to see the vet as it sounds like the plastic may have hung up and not passed. Or she could be feeling down for some other reason.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
I hope everything is okay with Lampshade. Please let us know what the vet says.

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
I hope the vet has some answers for you, but I'm doubtful it's the plastic. Parrots are pretty good about not ingesting non-food items (such as wood, plastic and cardboard) even though they rip it up into very tiny pieces and play around in their beak.

Hoping for good news from the vet, and glad you've recognized she is ill and gotten her in right away. Always better to be safe than sorry with a bird.

OP
Buttons

Buttons

Mar 5, 2014
Upstate New York
Parrots
Lampshade (Blue Crown Conure),
Spook and Yellow (Budgies)
The vet did x-rays, stool sample, swab culture and blood work. Still waiting on the blood work but the only thing she saw from the other tests was a slightly enlarged liver. Defintely no intestinal blockage. This is frustrating because I know something is wrong with her. She's not eating enough, she's nervous and fatigued. She's the only avian vet I've been able to find in the area (Saratoga Springs, NY) so I can't really get a second opinion. Could this be stress from trying to nest too much? Every day she wants to hide somewhere and shred things.
I feel bad because the trip to the vet's exhausted her and didn't really accomplish anything (except knowing nothing obvious is wrong).
Thoughts?

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
I'm sorry for your worry about Lampshade (cute name). Believe me, I know the same worries, as do many of us who've had birds for some time.
Just have to sit tight for the vet results to say what the trouble is.. Hopefully more answers coming soon.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
I hope there is something in the blood tests so you know what you are dealing with. It is so hard to not know.
I'm really not sure if the extreme nesting behaviour could have caused the symptoms you mentioned. I have never heard of that, but that doesn't mean it isn't possible. Hopefully someone who has dealt with this before will chime in with some possibilities for you.

Sending positive thoughts to you and Lampshade.

Most Reactions

Latest posts