Didn't work out :(

kanundra

Apr 25, 2013
Lancashire
Parrots
IRN blue
So, sorry to say that having a cag, didn't work for us.

She was such a sweet bird, but where she loved men before hand. She didn't want to know my husband when she got here. And it was to be for her to spend time with him, where as all she wanted was me. It wasn't fair on her when I was terrified to even have her on my shoulder and it wasn't fair on Bobby our IRN because we had to lock him away when she came out. He got super jealous and kept approaching her even though she was ten times as big.

I am glad I got to spend some time with her, and to be able to appreciate the species. And I do hope as a charity bird that she will find the right home to stay with forever.

We were really sorry to give her back in, but it had to be a mutual bond between all parties and there was going to be a bit too much blood shed. (Mine included)

So, we've just got the one little angry moulting IRN now and we've decided to make the best of him for the time being.

Thanks for all the support though and you'll still here of our antics with Bobby.

sodakat

Jul 15, 2009
There is a reason I keep just one species. You can consider a pal for Bobby and yourselves in the future and maybe since you are comfortable with IRNs you and Bobby would handle a same species introduction differently. At least he was interested!

OP
K

kanundra

Apr 25, 2013
Lancashire
Parrots
IRN blue
Thanks. Because she got on wt others we thought it wot be okay. Never crossed my mind he wouldn't like it. We live and learn. I have my fingers crossed for her.

KBEquine

May 19, 2011
South-central PA
Parrots
From little to big - currently 6 Linnies; 2 Budgies; 1 BHP; 2 CAGs; 2 Zons; 1 GWM. Formerly in the flock: 1 LSC2 [fostered/rehomed] RIP: 1 budgie 1 WCP & 1 sweet Pan Am
Better you should send her to where she might find a perfect home & you could have a calm and happy household than to keep her & put ALL of you in misery.

I really believe in long-term homes, but I also believe in fostering a bird before taking it on as a lifetime commitment, if at all possible. After all, you would date someone for a while before agreeing to marry & be together until 'death you do part' & it should be the same with a pet whose lifespan is as long as a potential spouse.

There is such a thing as irreconcilable differences between personalities, human and avian (and other animals). The human is the only one with the power to decide to let the animal find the person/situation they will love forever. I think a lot of animals wait in vain for the human to recognize that the partnership isn't working.

And THEN there are too many well-meaning people with visions of over-full rescues, who try to convince you to keep the status quo, instead of encouraging you to make the hard decisions to improve things. In all honestly, I can see both sides on this - some people do give up too soon. And many rescues are overfull with birds who merely needed some patience and understanding. But that doesn't mean that holding on is always the right answer.

Still, it is tough to both make that decision and to tell others that you've done it and you have done both.

Somewhere there is another bird - perhaps an IRN? - who will fit your lifestyle and family.

Best of luck in finding it.

Most Reactions

Latest posts