Diet based on what indigenous species eats?

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
Al, from what I can descipher, canifrons refers to something around the front of the head, a tuft of hair/crest/something over the nates like a military macaw. “cani” (plural for cano-) has an old meaning of hoary-haired, and frons means front of the head/mask like (see: rosifrons conure, conure with red front fo the head).

OP
wrench13

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Thanks Chris ! Constantly amazed at the depth of knowledge on this board. I'd hate to face off in a game of Jepordy. My Latin is a bit rusty, LOL.

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Oh don’t mistake, I had to research the heck out of it, but my decade spent in horticulture made me comfortable with taxonomic Latin to research questions like this.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
This one is interesting and has some diet information on Amazon
https://zoologica.wordpress.com/2008/09/07/the-behaviour-of-wild-amazon-parrots/
" Wild Amazons generally eat a wide variety of food items. For example, Lilac-crowned Amazons eat food from at least 33 species of plants, and their diet includes 81.8% seed, 8.8% fruit, 6.6% insect larvae, and 2.9% bromeliad stems (Renton, 2001). Puerto Rican Amazons eat food from at least 60 plant species, and their diet consists primarily of seeds and fruits, although leaf buds and flowers are also included in their diet (Snyder et al., 1987). Most Amazons forage silently up in trees and rarely descend to the ground."

Wait, "Most Amazons forage silently up in trees..." Only when their beaks are full!!! :D

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Oh don’t mistake, I had to research the heck out of it, but my decade spent in horticulture made me comfortable with taxonomic Latin to research questions like this.

I baled out shortly after determining that the term doesn't stand on its on, but is 'in addition to' species or like term. Thanks Chris!!!

Al: "Constantly amazed at the depth of knowledge on this board. I'd hate to face off in a game of Jepordy. My Latin is a bit rusty, LOL." Welcome to those who stand in amazement of our board!

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

You mean like a subspecies? If so, then Actually it can stand on its own, see Spizixos canifrons, the crested finchbill, and Pampusana canifrons the palau ground dove.

I thought maybe it was the taxonomist who described it similar to the other subspecies named above (no), or the region it was found since the two species above are from southeast asia (no, we're talking the Americas). All dead ends. But once I latched onto the -frons suffix via the rosifrons conure, that put me down the right path. Sometimes you have to look at it in terms of prefix and suffix.

Last edited:
OP
wrench13

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Whew! Good thing I never got on Jeopardy !

"Alex, I'll take Archaic Latin that starts with "~" for $100"

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Whew! Good thing I never got on Jeopardy !

"Alex, I'll take Archaic Latin that starts with "~" for $100"

In the Comet Orchid, the species name "sesquipedale" refers to THIS "foot and a half" long body part belonging the Sphinx moth, native to Madagascar...

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
It went extinct in 1882
The Recently Extinct Plants and Animals Database
Amazona barbadensis canifrons Lawrence, 1883
Aruba amazon

Taxonomy & Nomenclature

Conservation Status
Last record: 1882/83