Diet overhaul---goodbye Harrisons!

Pied_Timneh_Moon

Dec 27, 2010
Quebec, Canada
Parrots
Jacko--Timneh Grey

Sully--Pied Cockatiel
My two fids have been on the High-Potency Harrisons for a while now.
And its just not cutting it. I'm not too impressed with the fact that it recommends itself as the sole diet, that it contains soy and has for the bulk of its ingredients peanuts and sunflower seeds.

That, and I think the biggest thing for me is the boredom factor. Its awful hard to give variety and foraging.

So I'm going with a seed/nut/pellet/sprout and veggie mix diet instead--supplemented with Palm Oil, Prime supplement (I like it better than nekton because its not sugar-based) and *maybe* Clay-Cal (trying it out).

I'm using the Totally organics pellets and seed mixes. Anyone have any ideas for portions or incorporating fresh foods?

Ozzy

Sep 28, 2010
Orlando
Parrots
Ozzy- 5 year old Dna'd male Blue Front Amazon
I cant be much help to you when it comes to your new diet as I am still in the learning process as well. However, a lot of people swear by Harrisons on this site but I have also always wondered about the fact that its main ingredients are peanuts and sunflower seeds (things we generally dont feed in abundance). I guess in comparison to some pellets that use corn as their main ingredient its better as corn has really no nutrients. It will be interesting to see the response of people who do use harrisons as their main source of food.

nofearengineer

Sep 8, 2010
Parrots
Gandalf - CAG (1997-2010) R.I.P. my baby boy.
Bitty - CAG (2 yrs old? and working on spoiling her rotten)
I am currently in sort of the same boat...trying to decide which way to go for Bitty's diet.

However, I wouldn't discount any particular diet because of the main ingredients. My belief is that is is the smallest amount ingredients that make the difference. Once you satisfy the trace mineral and vitamin requirements, the main ingredients are there for caloric reasons.

In other words, it isn't that sunflower seeds or corn are bad for the bird (a few species, for sure), it's what they're not getting that makes an all sunflower,corn diet bad.

Just my theories and ramblings.

I'm considering trying Harrisons and Zupreems, and maybe a couple others. Right now, Bitty is eating all kinds of veggies and fruit, she'd probably throw rocks at me if I give her pellets. :D

OP
P

Pied_Timneh_Moon

Dec 27, 2010
Quebec, Canada
Parrots
Jacko--Timneh Grey

Sully--Pied Cockatiel
Not only that but :11: the price!!

It is cheaper and healthier for me to actually feed my fids a diet that doesnt include harrisons!
The awesome thing with totally organics is they've taken the corn out of their pellets :) although it still remains in the sprout mix for large parrots :(

dragonlady2

Oct 3, 2010
Canada
Parrots
Eclectus-Willy, Alexandrine-Oliver, Two Barrabands -Joey and Peewee, Plumhead-Peanut, Senegal-Mookie, Australian King-Bella, Peachfront conure-Peachygirl, Crimson belly conure-Pepper, Parrotlette
I did try the Harrison's. It's not that the birds didn't like it, they tolerated it. I use Zupreem Fruit Blend right now. In the morning they get a dish of chopped veggies and fruit and when I let them out at 2 pm they get a dish of mashed sweet potato with cinnamon and cooked brown rice. In between, I make sure they get an Avicake which is a seed and pellet mix plus they get a nut or two. :)

madparrotwoman

Jun 29, 2010
Media
Plymouth, UK
Parrots
CAG
hahns macaw
I've always been a firm believer in the more variety in a bird's diet the better, this is how it would be for them in the wild. I feed mine tidymix (the best seed-based diet IMO) minus the peanuts and mixed with Harrisons. I don't really believe in feeding Harrisons alone - far too bland and boring although it is recommended to be given that way! This diet it supplimented with fresh cooked vegetables and/or fruit. I believe that when giving this diet suppliments are not needed.

HRH Di

Jan 9, 2010
Media
McKinney, TX
Parrots
Max - Alexandrine, Jade - Red-Front Macaw, Ruby - CAG
Getting diet right is so important. Our birdies didn't like Harrisons, but love Zupreen Fruit Blend. I'd never give them just pellets, or just seeds, or just "anything". They get pellets, sprouts, fruits, veggies and a bit of "seed mix" in the morning; then some sort of fruit and/or veggie and sprouts in the afternoon when it's out-of-the-cage time.

I've read (somewhere) that diet should be 60% pellets, 30-35% veggies, fruit and sprouts, and 5-10% nuts, seeds and treats. We try to stay close to that, but reduced the pellets to about 45-50% and upped the veggies, fruit and sprouts. Ruby's favorite food in the world is sprouts and would eat her weight in them if we let her.

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
Rosie has been eating Harrisons High Potency pellets since I switched her 2 years ago. My vet said the greys need the High Potency to meet their nutritional needs plus the fresh vegies and fruits, nuts and assorted other things they like. She is a very healthy bird and I believe it is due to the Harrisons. I did call the company way back to ask about the ingredients and was told that the pellets can meet all their nutritional needs but I told them the diet is not complete without the fresh foods. Yes it is costly for sure.

Von1983

Banned
Banned
Sep 3, 2010
Media
I can only agree that no food is a complete food.

I recently incorperated Harrisons into Cal's diet and she seems to like it. I don't rely on any one thing though and buy organic where I can. My local supermarket has even recently brought in organic nuts and seeds which I am delighted about. Can't say my purse is, but all our animals get the best no matter the cost. They deserve it!

nofearengineer

Sep 8, 2010
Parrots
I have to admit, I would feel so bad just feeding Bitty a plain brown kibble every day for the rest of her life, even if it was nutritionally sound. How boring that would be!! I love to watch her tear into some carrots, broccoli, peppers, sweet potatoes, corn, etc. with gusto!! Everything in moderation, I say....even healthy things hehe.

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
Norf: does Bitty like her vegies cooked? I discovered Rosie much perfers them cook. Seems to make a big difference to her.

nofearengineer

Sep 8, 2010
Parrots
I microwave them in a bowl to steam them. Not blazing hot, but warm. It softens them up a bit, so she can get them all over her beak LOL.

I wonder if whole wheat pasta counts as a veggie? She had some of my spaghetti last night. :D

Cowtown

Aug 4, 2010
Media
Great State of Texas
Parrots
Abby 2 year old Female Eclectus & Solomon 12 year old Male CAG & Dickens 4 year old CAG.
I feed Abby frozen corn, peas and broccoli that I heat up in the microwave.
I also give her granny smith apples, cooked pastas, jalapenos, crushed red peppers.
bell peppers, carrots, cooked brown rice, small amounts of unseasoned meats, boiled eggs, small amount of whole wheat toast with a small amount of peanut butter,
organic almonds, blue berries, pomegranate, bananas, oranges,
And I supplement at night with Zupreem spicy mix.. she love it.

I have been talking with Chris Winkler and he has changed over to Pretty Bird mix.
I have been think about getting a small amount and trying it.

I was wondering does anyone feed purple cabbage, I can not find anything on it whether it is safe or toxic?

nofearengineer

Sep 8, 2010
Parrots
Red cabbage is fine for parrots.

I will say I can not get Bitty to eat peas. She picks them out and tosses them.

If you have never given your parrot some cornbread, I highly recommend it. I give my special cornbread part of the credit for winning Bitty over so quickly...she absolutely devours it.

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
I mix some foods in the cornbread that Rosie would not otherwise eat and she gobbles it up. I think they must like the consistency. You might try getting the baby food peas and stir into the cornbread. It may or may not work. I also feed 1/4 tsp. red palm oil. It is especially good for the greys feather health and beak. They get it naturally in their diet in the wild. It was not too too expensive either.

Ratzy

Apr 7, 2010
Media
Hamilton, Victoria, Australia
Parrots
See siggie :)
Pellets are very rare here, in Victoria. My budgies haven't ever had them, just seed, sprouts, veggies, cereals and fruits. They don't get nuts ( my allergies, could kill me ) or sunflower seeds. We have a veggie patch and we don't use chemicals so often I just go up there to get whatever I need. Ever since I need an article on pellets I really couldn't bother with them, even if i could get them here.

nofearengineer

Sep 8, 2010
Parrots
I will try to get some of the Red Palm Oil, SB. Thanks. Anything for the baby. ;)

madparrotwoman

Jun 29, 2010
Media
Plymouth, UK
Parrots
CAG
hahns macaw
At the end of the day we all do/feed what WE personally feel is best for our own fids, not everyone will agree with what others feed but we all have our own opinions on what is best.

Cowtown

Aug 4, 2010
Media
Great State of Texas
Parrots
Abby 2 year old Female Eclectus & Solomon 12 year old Male CAG & Dickens 4 year old CAG.
Red cabbage is fine for parrots.

I will say I can not get Bitty to eat peas. She picks them out and tosses them.

If you have never given your parrot some cornbread, I highly recommend it. I give my special cornbread part of the credit for winning Bitty over so quickly...she absolutely devours it.

Abby did that for a while.. so one day when I feed her only peas and left them in there for about an hour and she did eat about half of them. She now eats them.

Most Reactions

Latest posts