DIY Playstand/Perch Project

VICTORYCC124

May 13, 2014
Minnesota
Parrots
Blue Headed Pionus 3yo (Jewel), Green Cheek Conure 3yo (Charlie), Congo African Grey 5yo (Baby Girl), White Capped Pionus 1yo (Leo), Blue Fronted Amazon 4yo (Zora)
Hi all,

I swear I was just reading about this topic the other day on here, and now I can't find any of the same threads that I was reading. I've searched, and searched, and searched. I'm trying to save myself a few hundred dollars here, because in the end I would like to have a few of these available in my house for variety. Anyway, here's what I'm looking for info pertaining to...

1.)Methods of cleaning the wood, prior to turning it into a tall standing perch.
(I was recommended to use bleach, but would I use wood bleach or reg bleach?)

2.)I have a large branch from an Ash but it has layers of green on it (pic included)? Should I scrape it off prior to cleaning it, or just clean it as usual?

I'm just looking for any and all opinions on this subject, as well any further info you may feel I should know.
Thanks in advance!!! :)

PS: I recently aquired this piece of wood, I know I still need to do sanding before cleaning.

Last edited:

Phlox

Jun 16, 2014
Just my opinions here...but....

I wouldn't bleach wood with bark. You'll never get it rinsed. You just need to make sure it wasn't sprayed with pesticides (so know where it was gathered from) and then you need to prevent bringing bugs in your house (more for you than the bird)

If it's warm weather, you can actually stick the thing in the trunk of your car. It'll get hot enough in there to kill anything. (Sometimes people heat treat, but I bet your oven isn't big enough.)

The green stuff is just lichens and moss; they aren't harmful, but the heat in the car will kill them too and the bird will probably just peel them off with the bark anyway.

Julianna

Feb 4, 2013
Media
Olympia, WA
Parrots
Pippi, my white-bellied caique
I haven't made one of these before, but I'd really like to, and I've done a bit of reading on it. Some places said you could "cook" the branches in the oven (on a fairly low temp. to avoid fire) to clean them. Others said to use bleach like you said, but I don't know about the type. I would peel of the bark before giving it to your bird because bark is usually where bugs, fungi, lichen, moss, and other bad-for-birds-types-of-things hang out. Clean the bark off, and you'll have a much safer perch. Good luck and be sure to post pics. of your completed project!

Julianna

Feb 4, 2013
Media
Olympia, WA
Parrots
Pippi, my white-bellied caique
Phlox, we posted at the same time, I think...I remember reading somewhere that some types of moss/lichen can be bad for birds, but I don't remember where :/ (sorry!) Also, good point with the car! Never thought of doing that :)

Edit: This website says to remove moss/lichen, but it doesn't explain why, unfortunately: http://www.avianwelfare.ca/parrotsafebranches.htm

Last edited:
OP
VICTORYCC124

VICTORYCC124

May 13, 2014
Minnesota
Parrots
Blue Headed Pionus 3yo (Jewel), Green Cheek Conure 3yo (Charlie), Congo African Grey 5yo (Baby Girl), White Capped Pionus 1yo (Leo), Blue Fronted Amazon 4yo (Zora)
The down side for me is that I don't have a "trunk". I drive an SUV with an open back. Even if I did, this piece is too big to fit in a trunk. UGH.
I wanted to leave the bark on for the bird to pick it off (I'm not worried about the mess, I have to vacuum twice a day as it is.), but not if it isn't safe for them.

I have another piece from a Maple tree (not Red), and the bark is clean maybe I'll start with that one. Once I get the hang of this I have a huge dead Cottonwood I am waiting to tackle! :)

Thanks guys! Keep em coming!

Phlox

Jun 16, 2014
It's just my opinion and experience of course so please take it with appropriate salt :) ...but birds perch on trees with moss and lichens outside and it doesn't hurt them. Now, if you have a weird bark eating bird (not just bark peeling and shredding) well, maybe that's an issue. I have used branches with lichens before and there wasn't any trouble.

As far as the trunk? Just put it in the car when you are parked in the sun. It can easily get over 100 degrees in there if it's 75 or so, so that will probably still work. You can put it in a plastic bag if it makes you nervous just laying it in there.

If you are really nervous, its better to use a not lichen and moss festooned piece to start with, since that soft bark wouldn't bleach well I think. Sugar maple, willow or unsprayed fruit trees are good options. If you don't have a source, you can call a local tree cutting company and offer to buy some of their brush. My husband does this so I know many will be totally on board with making a little extra money and having less brush to dispose of!

getwozzy

Feb 26, 2013
Oregon
Here is one I made with grape wood

http://www.parrotforums.com/do-yourself/44996-suspended-grape-wood-play-gym-pics.html

You'll see the pieces are fairly large; my husband power washed everything to remove dirt and other random ickies. If you don't have a power washer, a
Steel brush and hose would work 😊 I didn't use any bleach or bake them, I just made sure there weren't any bugs hiding in/on them. I left the bark because chili does love chipping it off lol

Make sure you use bird-safe wood and that they haven't been sprayed with any pesticides or other chemicals.

OP
VICTORYCC124

VICTORYCC124

May 13, 2014
Minnesota
Parrots
That's pretty awesome, GetWozzy!! Thanks for sharing! It's very inspiring as well. :)

Most Reactions