DNA Gender testing/blood from neck vein??

OP
sherylb

sherylb

Jul 21, 2018
Media
Utah
Parrots
Kiwi the Quaker
Jack the IRN
Finley the BF Amazon
I know alot of people are against the blood from the neck vein but I cannot find a vet around here to do it any other way. I have to get a profile for the people I am going to use for boarding when I need to and they require a vet visit with a profile to be done to show there is no disease. So, while I am at it I will do the DNA. It just sounds soooo scary. I took Kiwi yesterday to do this. Just the trip to the Vet alone was stressful for him and then the waiting room was full of dogs and he's afraid of dogs!! Poor little baby! He clung to me but was pretty good with the Vet. I"m so glad I got trust established with Kiwi and I before I did this. So, at the Vet kiwi kind of jumped a little or moved and the Vet got some blood but not enough for the total profile. He got enough for some of it and for the DNA but he said I have to take Kiwi back to do it again!!! I really don't want to do that for a while because he was so quiet last night when we got home. I felt bad!! I will know soon if he really is a he though! and I will know some of his profile to be sure he's healthy.

ChristaNL

Banned
Banned
May 23, 2018
NL= the Netherlands, Europe
Parrots
Sunny a female B&G macaw;
Japie (m) & Appie (f), both are congo african grey;
All are rescues- had to leave their previous homes for 'reasons', are still in contact with them :)
A pitty it did not go smooth.
Most tests require only a tiny amount- so you might get lucky after all.

I had the same problem with Appie last monday (they had to go in for retesting) -> the vein collapsed or somehting so there was only a small drop of blood to test.
We send it in anyway- and the CAV told me if is wasn't anough I could come in (free of charge) to do it again.

They are usually not quite themselves for a day or two maybe three- but if you just keep the routine going, they'll settle down again.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
My CAV takes blood samples from a nail. I know he's sufficiently skilled to take from any appropriate location but finds nails to be better overall.

Most Reactions

Latest posts