Do birds tailbob when they get scared?

Josefin

Jul 27, 2022
Parrots
Two parrotlets
Ive heard so much about tail bobbing and today i saw my bird tailbob becuse it got scared, it has stopped now though.

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
Ive heard so much about tail bobbing and today i saw my bird tailbob becuse it got scared, it has stopped now though.
They might tail bob a bit when their scared because they're breathing harder than normal, but if it doesn't go away it's likely a respiratory infection.
Tail bobbing is also to be expected after the bird did something strenuous (Flying, playing hard etc.)

OP
J

Josefin

Jul 27, 2022
Parrots
Two parrotlets
They might tail bob a bit when their scared because they're breathing harder than normal, but if it doesn't go away it's likely a respiratory infection.
Tail bobbing is also to be expected after the bird did something strenuous (Flying, playing hard etc.)
Okay !! She is not doing it now so she is fine!!

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Okay !! She is not doing it now so she is fine!!
Good job noticing her responses to being scared! And now you know what tail-bobbing looks like, too, so if she is sitting in her cage puffed up with a runny nose and tail-bobbing, you know to take her to the vet.

Something a bird does once because it’s really scared or hot or out of breath is likely a reaction to that stress and not a sign of illness.

OP
J

Josefin

Jul 27, 2022
Parrots
Two parrotlets
Good job noticing her responses to being scared! And now you know what tail-bobbing looks like, too, so if she is sitting in her cage puffed up with a runny nose and tail-bobbing, you know to take her to the vet.

Something a bird does once because it’s really scared or hot or out of breath is likely a reaction to that stress and not a sign of illness.
Yes, so ive had posted a theread before about my bird, like hearbele breathing, she does not tailbob now. Ive only asked this if it could be a sign of respitory infection. This occured two months ago but i had booked a vet appointment! She is fine but i wanna make sure she is okay!! No discharge !

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Good for you for taking such care of your sweet little parrotlet! She’s a lucky bird!

Most Reactions