Do Cockatoos ever close their mouths

eagle18

Banned
Banned
Jan 25, 2018
Missouri
Parrots
I have one Umbrella, a Bare Eye, and two budgies.
Yes, I am talking about my cockatoo, Freddy Krueger. He always seems to have his mouth open and last night I could hear him breathing through his mouth. He is playful, eats well, and seems very alert, but the mouth breathing has taken me back. I have had him nine months and have not taken him to a vet. I can't seem to find any vet who specializes in birds in my area. I have a reptile vet I see along with a ferret vet, but I can't find an avian vet.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
They should, literally and figuratively! Some toos have a section of feathers that cover the lower beat while relaxing.

Is the mouth breathing a new behavior?

It can be hard to find a certified avian vet. Check out this search engine: Association of Avian Veterinarians

OP
eagle18

eagle18

Banned
Banned
Jan 25, 2018
Missouri
Parrots
They should, literally and figuratively! Some toos have a section of feathers that cover the lower beat while relaxing.

Is the mouth breathing a new behavior?

It can be hard to find a certified avian vet. Check out this search engine: Association of Avian Veterinarians

I think it is. I don't remember him doing that when I first got him.

I took him to the Parrot store where I get my supplies and they said he looked just fine. But they also gave me a reference for an avian vet. I am relieved.

OP
eagle18

eagle18

Banned
Banned
Jan 25, 2018
Missouri
Parrots
Where in Missouri are you? Hope your again vet reference is good!

I live south of St. Louis. I can't believe with all of the bird owners out there that this state has about one vet.

Most Reactions

Latest posts