do conures bond with just one person?

ewalker

May 14, 2012
Fort Worth, TX
Parrots
Conner, a yellow sided conure. And Skeet, a budgie.
Hello,
I got my first conure three weeks ago!! I'm so excited :) I spend the majority of the time with him, however, my fiance spends time with him also. Will my conure "Conner" love both of us? Are they nippy at other people other than the one or ones he or she bonds to? Thanks so much!:green:

Parrotmamma

May 2, 2012
Texas
Parrots
Crackers ~ a Green cheek conure , Cosmo~ a Timneh African Grey
I have a green cheek conure who is a year old and she loves me ,my husband and all our kids ( we have 5 kids) However , she can get nippy with any of us depending on her mood , especially if she is having fun chewing on something she shouldn't and you try to stop her...lol
I think as long as you both spend time with him he will love the both of you , he may prefer one person a little more than the other at certain times . My mom has a green cheek too and he loves her and my dad. They are awesome little birds : )

RescueMe

Mar 28, 2012
King George, VA
Parrots
"Sparky" the Blue and gold macaw, "Jax" Red fronted macaw, and "Little Bird" peach faced lovebird
The personality of your bird is influenced by 2 things really, socialization and the individual. Some birds are naturally really outgoing, whereas others are more inclined to watch and learn. Early socialization with people who can be trusted to handle your bird carefully will encourage her to be more accepting of others for life. Playing pass the birdie and having visitors pay a toll of a treat to your bird are great ways for her to become a lover of all people. Make sure that anyone handling her is careful in their movement and not inclined to over react if she nips them or accidentally poops on them.... The key is not just lots of handling, but lots of positive handling. Some birds will develop a distinct preference for one person, so be willing to accept that just because you chose her, doesn't mean that she will choose you.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
It really depends from bird to bird. Yes they can bond to just one person, I brought home two conure once, breeder birds and when I open the cage one came out to me. But she then proceed to fly towards my best friend, it was instant love. I couldn't touch her with out her trying to bite me. BUT when he's not home, she is perfectly fine with me, talking away giving me kisses. But the moment she hears him come home, she'll fly away from me right to him and I couldn't touch her again as long as he's around.

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
Socialization is the key. Make sure to let your bird meet lots of friends and family, and take her/him places(with a harness for safety) so see people but be cautious of letting strangers pet your bird because of germs. Just make sure not to force your bird into strangers and make new people something fun.

Most Reactions