Do conures get extra noisy after a period of separation from owners?

paperdoll0809

Feb 13, 2012
Brisbane
Parrots
Sun Conure - DOH Dec 2011 (?)
Hey guys!! I need some advice about my sun conure. I've had him since Feb 2012 and he hatched in early Dec 2011. His breeder used to only handle him during feeding time so he was rather unsocialized when I got him but it's all good now. He is now super clingy with me and my ex-boyfriend and friendly to everyone else.

Anyway, the landlord of the apartment I was renting out decided to sell it so I had to move. Due to delays and inefficient property agents and all that, I was basically homeless for a month before I moved into my new place. During that time, a friend of mine took care of him. She has 2 rainbow lorikeets and 4 cockatiels and has 2 large aviaries so I don't think my sunny was all that unhappy there. He had company of other birds and lots of space (he sleeps with the cockatiels).

I got him back yesterday and his clinginess has increased 10-fold. He would scream the minute I get out of sight, also when I put him back in his cage and walk off. He never used to do that at my old place. Is it separation anxiety? I don't think he is screaming because he is displeased with something in or around the cage. Once I take him out, instant silence. The change is amazing.

Do I have to start from scratch with the "I won't take you out if you're a noisy birdie" training?

Also, is it possible for a conure to get overbonded? My conure HATES being taken off my shoulder and placed elsewhere. He won't even get off me to play with toys. He much rather stand on my shoulder and chew my shirt.

Any advice will be appreciated!

AFP520

Banned
Banned
Jun 7, 2012
NJ
Parrots
Lucy, Sun Capped Conure
It's completely normal for your fid to make noise when it can't see you anymore. It is calling for you.

Most Reactions

Latest posts