Do Eclectus cuddle?

OP
Dopey

Dopey

Apr 18, 2014
Media
Maryland
So - can you take your birds into all of the PetSmarts? I know you can take your dogs but I've never seen a bird/parrot.

Thank you all for the information you have given me. I'm supposed to pick up a female Ekkie named Ruby Red tomorrow. I'm excited and scared at the same time.

I'm hoping that since they love fresh foods so much that I will start eating healthier too. :D I usually throw out more fresh food than I eat or feed to the birds that I have.

Since I think I know but now I'm not sure...petting with the grain would be petting the way the feathers grow...right?

If I do it wrong I guess she will tell me.

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
So - can you take your birds into all of the PetSmarts? I know you can take your dogs but I've never seen a bird/parrot.

Just one word of caution: If and when you decide to take Ruby Red (cute name) or your other fids to either Petsmart and/or Petco (or any other places that sell live birds), there is the potential risk of exposing them to 'nasties'.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
I love the air horn comment lol!!! It's so true! She is sounding off more when she wants to be handled.

Ruby was quite vocal and bossy about wanting to be picked up. Unlike my other birds that just politely sit there with there foot up in the air... Can I come?! Take me with?!

She was more: "Hey! Evidentally you're not paying attention... I said I'm coming with you. Now get back here and pick me up!" :D

And I'd go to set her down and she'd do that whole, look down at the perch, look up at me, look down at the perch, look up at me...

"You're joking right?!" :D

She was THAT WAY with the people "she picked."

If she did not pick you, she would bite...

I eventually taught her to push the hand away instead when she didn't want to be messed with, but in the beginning, she would JUST NAIL people when she didn't want their attention. Just let them have it without warning... full on blood draw bite pressure.

I ended up placing her with someone who she was absolutely fascinated with, right down to the air horn noise when she got set down.

I was sorry to see her go, but she was a lot of work... and she got placed in a great forever home. So it worked out for everyone.

Taw5106

Mar 27, 2014
Texas
Parrots
Buddy - Red Crowned Amazon (27 yo)
Venus - Solomon Island Eclectus (4 yo)
Buzz CAG (2 yo)
Sam - Cockatiel 1997 - 2004
Tweety - Budgie 1984 - 1987
Sweety - Budgie 1985 - 1986
Venus grabs your finger and pushes it away. It cracks me up because it is so clear, no, go away, I don't want to. She doesn't bite just grabs and pushes. She also will lean her chest against Husbands finger if he tries to get her to step up while is with me. I crack up at this too because she's just propped against his finger, leaning like that's all you're gonna get. I compromised, lol!

Taw5106

Mar 27, 2014
Texas
Parrots
Buddy - Red Crowned Amazon (27 yo)
Venus - Solomon Island Eclectus (4 yo)
Buzz CAG (2 yo)
Sam - Cockatiel 1997 - 2004
Tweety - Budgie 1984 - 1987
Sweety - Budgie 1985 - 1986
You can take them in fact the manager told me two macaws had just left that come in a lot. And do be careful of other birds. My Petsmart and Petco have plexiglass around most of their bird aviaries. But they aren't air tight.

OP
Dopey

Dopey

Apr 18, 2014
Media
Maryland

Just one word of caution: If and when you decide to take Ruby Red (cute name) or your other fids to either Petsmart and/or Petco (or any other places that sell live birds), there is the potential risk of exposing them to 'nasties'.

Yep - I get that. Probably why I don't see many people there with them. I will be happy if they just ride in the car with me. It will give me someone to talk to. :D

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
So will they. My birds LOVE riding in the car...

OP
Dopey

Dopey

Apr 18, 2014
Media
Maryland
You know the picture with the lady pushing her birds down the street on a stroller. That is gonna be me. :D

I love working in my yard and I'm hoping that some of the birds will want to come out with me. I will have to watch though. I live in an area where there are hawks.

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
Yes, indeed. Petting with the grain is petting the way the feathers grow. I made sure to mention this because so many birds enjoy against the grain type petting. You see it, for instance, with macaws all the time.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Yeah. Eckie feathers are just completely different. With a macaw or an amazon it's 180 degrees.

They like it when you go against the grain.

In fact amazons have been known to get annoyed if you go with the grain too much.

Annoyed being a euphimism for OUCH!

Last edited:
OP
Dopey

Dopey

Apr 18, 2014
Media
Maryland
So cool.

The Ekkie I'm picking up tomorrow isn't used to being in a cage. I hope she gets used to being in a cage. I have to quarantine her.

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
Absolutely. Are you taking her for a vet check?

OP
Dopey

Dopey

Apr 18, 2014
Media
Maryland
I usually do. I will need to wait until the next pay period though...maybe. That's next Friday but if I find the money before then I will take her in.

It we dont' get along tomorrow I wont' be getting her.

drlisaort

Nov 3, 2012
Hollywood, Florida
Parrots
Oliver, Male (SI) Eclectus
Oliver loves attention and is very social but not one to do a lot of cuddling. He'll put his
foot up when I pass his stand wanting to hang out with me but warm snuggling not so much. He does like it when I pet him but not hug him close guess I should have done that more when he was a baby but back then I had a beak fear...all psychological on my part as he never bit me.

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
I usually do. I will need to wait until the next pay period though...maybe. That's next Friday but if I find the money before then I will take her in.

It we dont' get along tomorrow I wont' be getting her.

How'd the meeting go with the ekki??? :confused:

OP
Dopey

Dopey

Apr 18, 2014
Media
Maryland
I got her. She is so sweet. She's smart. I hope I am worthy of her. I'm sure because of her my fids will eat better now.

I suppose you want a picture. :D

Not sure where the picture went but I pasted it. I tried it three times.

A friend of mine has named her Ruber.

Most Reactions