Do greys understand other types of parrots?

Bilalsabaayoun

Aug 22, 2014
I have a timneh grey and had a cockatiel that died yesterday due to age, the cockatiel belonged to a relative of mine and he gave it to me because he wasnt able to take care of it anymore,after it died my grey seems to be sad and not talkin or whistling like he used to do , now notice that the two parrot didnt meet, i kept them separated each one in a room but they heard each other, so my question is whoud my timneh know that the cockatiel died and is sad or depressed about it,or is it possibly sickness??

Apr 3, 2013
MD, USA
I would imagine much of his talking and whistling was to call/respond to your bird in the other room. With those sounds being gone, he doesn't have anything to respond to.

I do think that there are benefits to having multiple birds for a "flock mentality," even if the birds aren't best friends.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
My condolences for the loss of your adopted cockatiel.

Your timneh has likely felt the loss of an audio companion. I would imagine he will return to his normal self after some time.

Teddscau

Sep 25, 2015
Media
Ontario, Canada
Parrots
Budgies: Sunshine, Blanco, Azure; Peach-faced lovebirds: Rosie and Jaybird; YSA: Jasper (♀)
I find non-human animals are a lot more in tune with each other than humans are with other species. There's an infinite number of interspecies relationships in nature. While at first glance it may seem like each species is doing its own thing, they're actually paying attention to those around them. Many prey species form relationships with one another (some species of deer and monkeys, for example), choosing to forage together in order to improve their chances of avoiding predators, learning each other's alarm call and warning one another.

Warthogs and mongoose, for example, have a very unique relationship. The warthogs actively seek out mongoose in order to have their dead skin, ticks, etc., removed.

Look at Noah and my budgies, for example. He knows he's a parrotlet, but after learning their language and customs he quickly became a member of the flock. Rumi's his girlfriend (he's not her boyfriend, though), Ju's his birdie BFF (BBFF?), and they eat together, sleep together, bathe together, run like heck when he's in one of his moods...

Parrots are drawn to other birds, whether or not they're the same species. Parrots seem to do better, as psychocircus91 said, when they have the whole "flock mentality" going on. Even if they aren't particularly fond of another individual, they're still affected by their loss or absence, and will miss them.

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
Very sorry to hear about your little 'tiel.

When my TAG passed away a few years ago,my blue front was VERY depressed. Amy grew up with Smokey. Amy was only 4 months old when she came to live with me a Smokey,and Smokes was just 1.5 years old. So when Smokey passed on at 28 yrs old,Amy knew her all her life.
It took WEEKS before Amy would start to come around,with a lot of love and attention from me.
Now Amy is best bud's with BB,my little tiel boy.

Jim

Most Reactions