Do our birds get brighter?

JasmineGCC

Oct 4, 2012
England
Parrots
Jasmine my pineapple green cheeked conure, hatched 17 April 2012
Sorry for the daft question but do our birds get brighter and more colourful after a moult? Jasmine is just finishing her first moult ( she is 7 months old) and I'd swear her colouring gets brighter by the day! How much brighter will she get as she gets older?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 831
Last edited:

94lt1

Nov 9, 2012
SouthEast TX
Parrots
Monte..Scarlet macaw, Seminole...yellow napped amazon, Starburst... sun conure...Rain, cinnamon green cheek.
I know that Suns do, infact they don't reach full color until about 2 years.. but I think it varies by bird. Our sun is 7 most old, and he's just started to get quite a bit of yellow..I thought he might have been jenday, but I was wrong :)

So i'd have ti say that if its a young bird, its going to have more green and dull colors because it can't defend itself in the wild..so its camouflaged, and gets brighter as it matures :)

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
Yes, some birds do get brighter once they get into their adult colors. Many birds do not change much, if at all, but others may change drastically, such as sun conures.

I'd say not to expect a major change in your green cheeks colors (like a sun conures colors, for instance), but yes, the colors may become brighter and deeper. Some conures will attain their adult colors within the first 1-2 molts, where-as other conures may take up to 6 years to attain their full adult plumage.

Pedro

Dec 15, 2010
Australia
Parrots
2 Budgies, 3 Cockatiels, 6 GCC'S, 2 Crimson Bellie Conures, 9 Sun Conures, 2 Major Mitchells, 12 Eclectus parrots of various ages, 2 BF Amazons, 2 Hahn's Macaw's, 1 Red Tail Black Too
Sorry for the daft question but do our birds get brighter and more colourful after a moult? Jasmine is just finishing her first moult ( she is 7 months old) and I'd swear her colouring gets brighter by the day! How much brighter will she get as she gets older?

Yes GCC do get brighter as they molt out their baby feathers, by their 2nd year molt they should be their normal colour for what ever mutation they are.

However just before they do go through a molt their feathers will look a little faded & on the drab side. New feathers always look full of life & very bright.:)

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
As they mature they get their adult feathers, but in each molt they often look a little brighter because their old worn out feathers are being replaced by brand new feathers.

OP
JasmineGCC

JasmineGCC

Oct 4, 2012
England
Parrots
Jasmine my pineapple green cheeked conure, hatched 17 April 2012
Thanks for taking the time to reply everyone :)
I think it's great that Jasmine will get even more beautiful as she grows up over the next year or so

Kantia

Aug 18, 2012
UK, Leicester.
Parrots
Tich. A Green-Cheeked Blue Conure. Hatched 6th May 2012 <3
I've noticed it a little with my conure. He's a green-cheeked turquoise conure. When I first got him he was very blue, but after his first molt he seems to have little green/yellow feathers on his shoulders now and he's much brighter. :]

Most Reactions

Latest posts