Do Salt Crystal Lamps Work for Parrots?

BoomBoom

May 2, 2012
Parrots
Boomer (Sun Conure 9 yrs), Pewpew (Budgie 5 yrs), Ulap (Budgie 2 yrs), Eight & Kiki (Beloved Budgies, RIP)

Do they even work at all? I've never used it, but my coworker swears by it. I've seen it sold at big stores and have always wondered about it.

Apparently, it purifies the air of allergens, toxins and promotes general good health by generating negative ions. Good for humans, supposedly. Here is an excerpt from one of the many articles written about it:

"Salt crystal lamps are natural ion generators, emitting negative ions into the atmosphere. Why is this a good thing? Negative ions are good for you! Negative ions restore and neutralize air quality. Negative ions can be used to treat illness and improve health. Our homes and offices are filled with electrical appliances and electronics (televisions, computers, florescent lighting, microwaves, heaters, air-conditioners, etc.). Use of such devices have been blamed for lowering our energy levels, making us feel tired, cranky, and depressed because of their emissions of positive ions. Keeping a rock salt lamp in areas where positive ions are polluting your air space will help neutralize the air you breathe. Balancing positive and negative ions also help reduce airborne infections."

Sounds too good to be true right!? If its any good at all for humans, I wonder if its also good for our birds. I've been suckered into all this miracle ion stuff before so I'm naturally skeptic now. I bought one of those ionic bracelets from the mall after the salesman did this balance trick on me. I didn't know it was a trick until I learned how it works later.

Anyway, if there is any chance these rock salts are legit, I'd like to use them to compliment the air purifier, humidifier and houseplants I bought to improve Boomer's living space. Anyone have experience with them?

WannaBeAParrot

Jul 5, 2012
Media
SE Florida and Sullivan County, NY
Parrots
Cody-Blu, female Blue-Crowned Conure, Hatched - (approx) June 1, 2014, in a South Florida tree.

Pritti (Cherry-Head Conure) -- Fly in Peace my beautiful boy. Forever I'll love you.
Hi Boom Boom,
I like the way they look in a dark room, so i bought several medium sized salt lamps with dimmer switches and use them almost like night lights. Very soothing glow. I figured if they also threw out some neg. ions, great -- but from what i've read, they number of neg ions produced by the salt is so small it wouldn't make a difference - unlike the vast amount found near the ocean. do u live near enough to ocean to take Boomer out in the new back-pak?

How is Boomer? I haven't seen any new photos lately of him.

OP
BoomBoom

BoomBoom

May 2, 2012
Parrots
Boomer (Sun Conure 9 yrs), Pewpew (Budgie 5 yrs), Ulap (Budgie 2 yrs), Eight & Kiki (Beloved Budgies, RIP)
I was also researching a bit after posting and now I feel a bit silly. Tee-hee!

Well that clears that up! Darn, I wanted it to work so bad, they look so nice and sci fi. Thanks for the good read, Weco! I appreciate everyone's feedback as always.

Now about the bridge you want to sell...

OP
BoomBoom

BoomBoom

May 2, 2012
Parrots
Hi Boom Boom,
I like the way they look in a dark room, so i bought several medium sized salt lamps with dimmer switches and use them almost like night lights. Very soothing glow. I figured if they also threw out some neg. ions, great -- but from what i've read, they number of neg ions produced by the salt is so small it wouldn't make a difference - unlike the vast amount found near the ocean. do u live near enough to ocean to take Boomer out in the new back-pak?

How is Boomer? I haven't seen any new photos lately of him.

I think we might have read the same article, WBAP. While the lamps do emit negative ions, I would get more just by going outside. The beach is an excellent idea! I didn't know the ocean had a lot of negative ions. I live in Long Beach, CA so I'm sure there's a beach close to me somewhere!

Boomer is doing great, thank you for asking! Here's a recent picture of him :D

WannaBeAParrot

Jul 5, 2012
Media
SE Florida and Sullivan County, NY
Parrots
Cody-Blu, female Blue-Crowned Conure, Hatched - (approx) June 1, 2014, in a South Florida tree.

Pritti (Cherry-Head Conure) -- Fly in Peace my beautiful boy. Forever I'll love you.
Hi. Glad to hear Boomer is doing great. He looks great. He's got that look of "look at me getting kissed, I'm a lucky bird, and your're not getting a kiss!" lol

Well... I've never been to Long Beach, CA... but I'm guessing that if the word Beach is in the city's name, then one must be nearby. We live near the beach also, but Pritti has never been there. He gets uber nervous when he is out during daylight hours, so I stay really close to the house, like practically in the doorway so he can get sunlight. But at night... he loves it outside. Maybe he'll watch the moon rise with me at the beach.

Let us know of you decide to take Boomer to the beach and how it goes.

Most Reactions