parrot for a small flat? / can't live without a parrot

selino

Apr 29, 2013
so hello,

I am Anne. I live in Luxembourg, and all my life i grew up with a cockatiel :yellow1:. But right now he is living with my parents, as i have left my home country and did not wanna take him with me. We have him for 15 years now. I am used to living with him, i had him in my room, and for the past few months i am living alone and i terribly miss him. terribly! you can not imagine how badly i miss him...
anyway, i can not put him through airplanes, and change of environment so i thought it would be better to get another parrot here. my flat is not that small, but the walls here are kind of made with...paper. i am afraid that if i get an amazon i will have serious problems with my neighbors.
i have two questions: how do you get over not having your pet with you?
and second: any suggestions for a parrot for such an appartment?

aliray

Jan 28, 2012
Rotonda West , Fla
Parrots
yellow sided green cheek conure,Chiquita Quaker parrot Sweetie Pie, African red bellied parrot Tiki, spanish timbrado canary Lucas
I can't answer your first question but I would a few I like is an African red bellied, budgie, cockateil, parrotlet, lineolated parakeet, Bourkes parrokeet, and of the poi group, lovebird to name a few. I do think an amazon would be a problem with the neighbors or any of the large parrots. I am sure their will be a lot more people with their ideas as well and welcome to the forum.:)

OP
S

selino

Apr 29, 2013
I can't answer your first question but I would a few I like is an African red bellied, budgie, cockateil, parrotlet, lineolated parakeet, Bourkes parrokeet, and of the poi group, lovebird to name a few. I do think an amazon would be a problem with the neighbors or any of the large parrots. I am sure their will be a lot more people with their ideas as well and welcome to the forum.:)

thank you for the welcome :)

it is indeed a strange country here. dogs are loved but parrots not. i was thinking about parrotlets and senegals. however, i am not sure how quiet senegals can be.

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Welcome to the forum, selino. :)

Firstly, I am SO sorry you were unable to take your cockatiel with you. :( I completely understand your pain and sorrow. I went through something similar when we moved from Germany to the US. I was only able to take my Sparky (cockatiel) with me, as she came from here, but I had to rehome my Sun Conure (she was born in Germany) :(

Only time will heal your sorrow for your cockatiel. LOTS of time. And knowing he is in good hands, will make it a bit easier as well.

Have you thought of a Pionus? They are pretty quiet and make EXCELLENT companions. :)

DallyTsuka

Mar 19, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Parrots
Dallas and Tsukasa (Cockatiels)
Mango and Munchlax (Peach Faced Lovebirds)
if you wanted a larger quieter parrot, i second pionus :D i've only ever heard great things about them, and they are fairly quiet

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
I agree with the pionus, they are close cousins of the amazon but are much quiter. They also have the potential to talk if you are interested in that.

Do you plan on moving to back home, or to another country in a few years? I urge you to only buy another bird if you are planning to stay in your current country perminantly or are willing to take them on a airplane. Many airplanes will allow one pet in the cabin and you can resverve the spot.

Last edited:
OP
S

selino

Apr 29, 2013
yes i do plan to go either back home, or to another country. if its a small parrot i can take him on the plane, or could always drive. i found a pet shop with parrots yesterday, and they just emailed me. they have love birds, senegals and caiques. i think i will choose love birds.

happycat

Mar 9, 2012
Virginia, U.S.
Parrots
Kakariki (Kirby) Cockatiel (Shiro) Jenday Conure (Jojo)
Get a kakariki!
Very quiet, adorable silly birds.
I also second Parrotlets, tiels, senegals, lovebird or budgies.

Most Reactions