Do you ever stop worrying?

BoomBoom

May 2, 2012
Parrots
Boomer (Sun Conure 9 yrs), Pewpew (Budgie 5 yrs), Ulap (Budgie 2 yrs), Eight & Kiki (Beloved Budgies, RIP)
You are not alone.

I worry every single day, even when there's nothing to worry about!!! In fact, I have never worried so much about any of the pets I've had all my life, all at once. Even though I do my research and do everything by the book, I can never get rid of that nagging feeling. In fact, the more I research and learn things, the more I get paranoid and worry!!! Go figure. I should have gotten a turtle or a rock (just kidding). I love my little birdie though! :heart:

Last edited:

luvmytooo

Dec 22, 2011
New York
Parrots
*Yoshi* Goffins Cockatoo
* Rosie*Rose Breasted Galah
*Stella*Hyacinth Macaw
*Baby*Catalina Macaw

*Multiple Parakeets*
Who remembers when pet rocks first came out ?
That was a long time ago.....along with sea monkeys , lolol.

If I didn't worry , I would be sick with guilt !
Some people are procrastinators , worriers , everybody is different.
I check the cage locks each and every time I leave the house. I also check the burners , make sur the dogs are locked up ,etc...I wouldn't be able to function if i didn't.
I don't necessarily think I about finding the worse , but it's happened to me before , so I can't say it hasn't crossed my mind. I found one of my Cockatiels dead when I was young .
Never knew what happened . So , after that fright , it does cross my mind now and again.

But I do push those thoughts out of my mind because it would literally drive me insane.
Think positive is my motto :).

azdesertrhino

Oct 29, 2010
Tucson, AZ
Parrots
Blue & Gold Macaw
I think I worry about MAC because there are so many things that can be detrimental to the health of a bird.

Extreme care must be taken when using cleaning agents, being aware unsafe toys, watching for unsafe woods etc etc.

As DebsFlock stated, we're not running around paralyzed by fear but I believe there is a heightened state of awareness and concern.

My wife had to go to NY for about a week so I've been the sole caretaker of MAC. There has definitely been Level 3 care & monitoring going on!!:D

MaraWentz

Banned
Banned
Mar 27, 2012
Media
St.Leonard, MD
Parrots
Red Front Macaw, Elvis, 10,male RIP

Red Front Macaw, Erin, 1.5,female

Goffin Cockatoo, Blossom 2,female Rehomed

Blue & Gold Macaw, Oscar, Male, 21 years old, Rehomed

American Bulldog Mix,
Taking precautions is normal. I do what luvmytoo does. Its called being careful. And i agree with rhino. A heightened sense of awareness is normal and god because it shows you care. But being paralyzed with fear is not healthy. Being scared each morning your bird is dead is not healthy. Ive been in mamybaccidents none my fault (black ice and of course the person who wants to to run you off the road and the one who wants to merge into your line- in the excat same place you car is) l understand yournpiit thatnanythig can happe.nnonmatter how well we treat our hird hence the freak accident thing. But the komemt a car gets next to my car I dont pull over 3 lanes and the moment it snows I dont go down to to 5 miles an hiur on the highway. I dont let fear control my evey thought and move. Erin could die tomorrow, its sometyig I acknowledge and understand but dont expect. Elvis being killed was a huge shock. I knew eventually he would pass and I didnt expect it to happen so young and the way it did but it happened. Things happen against the way we plan. Anythin is possible and we all know that but most of us dont let what ifs controll our lives and most people i know dont walk around expecting the worse. Knowing our pets can pass through freak accidents, murder, unknown reasons, age, etc, is jormal and being extra careful to avoid it from happening is normal, but expecting it to happen is so depressing and weird to me. To each thier own though. You may want to wake up everymorning thinking your bird is dead. I personally couldnt put that much strrss on myslef. I prefer to wake up each mornig thinking erin wants a kiss (and knowinf her) more than a kiss she wants food.

OP
D

DebsFlock

Banned
Banned
Jul 19, 2012
Los Angeles County, near Palmdale
Parrots
Scooter -- male Green Cheek Conure "Normal" but that's a matter of opinion! Hatched in March 2010

Scotty -- Male Cape Parrot hatched somewhere between 2007-2009 we think

Caballo Blanco -- male C
Google "hyperbole"... I think you are taking me WAY too literally. Yes the fleeting thought is there and yes I worry when machinery is belching smoke outside my bird room window, but I'm by no means morbid, nor do I move over three lanes at the drop of a hat. Out here people tailgate at 85 mph next to concrete barriers with no shoulder... You don't drive timid and survive.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
Do I worry? ABSOLUTELY!!!! I have come home to a deceased bird one too many times. Usually the smaller ones as I have not loss any of my bigger babies yet. They either get mobbed by other small birds or egg binding from Chronic egg layer. So we got more cages and started separating everyone. Even the aviary isn't safe anymore when they want to go at it....I got a home security system because of my animals as I worry about them during the day while I'm at work. I kept my HVAC system checked by technician on a regular basis cause I don't want them to suffer, no break down is allowed as we need air in the house. 3 Air purifiers running in the house 24/7 to keep the air clean. Daily vacuuming and cleaning to keep things sanitized. Filtered water for them to drink to keep them healthy. Fresh fruits and veggies daily to keep them healthy and happy. BUT we have learned that we can only worry so much before we fall apart. BUT it's always in the back of my mind all the time. I have lost sleep at night because of it. IF any of them is sick, I sleep on the couch with them to keep an eye on them throughout the night....I can go on and on....lol....

luvmytooo

Dec 22, 2011
New York
Parrots
*Yoshi* Goffins Cockatoo
* Rosie*Rose Breasted Galah
*Stella*Hyacinth Macaw
*Baby*Catalina Macaw

*Multiple Parakeets*
I think we pretty much exhausted this topic , lolol.
Im sure we all have our birds best interests at heart and we want the very best for them
We also take the best care of them humanly possible , and we all understand despite our very best intentions , bad things can still happen. Nature can take a part in it and a thousand other reasons , we accept this and go on with life.
Right ?

BoomBoom

May 2, 2012
Parrots
Boomer (Sun Conure 9 yrs), Pewpew (Budgie 5 yrs), Ulap (Budgie 2 yrs), Eight & Kiki (Beloved Budgies, RIP)
Yes we have. :D

Bottom line is, do you ever stop worrying?

Never!

Mayden

Apr 22, 2010
UK.
Parrots
Merlin & Charlie (Senegals)
Never ever ever. Merlin makes me have panic attacks on a daily basis I'm sure.

Even the best of people make mistakes, and it only takes one to harm our fids.

MaraWentz

Banned
Banned
Mar 27, 2012
Media
St.Leonard, MD
Parrots
Red Front Macaw, Elvis, 10,male RIP

Red Front Macaw, Erin, 1.5,female

Goffin Cockatoo, Blossom 2,female Rehomed

Blue & Gold Macaw, Oscar, Male, 21 years old, Rehomed

American Bulldog Mix,
Google "hyperbole"... I think you are taking me WAY too literally. Yes the fleeting thought is there and yes I worry when machinery is belching smoke outside my bird room window, but I'm by no means morbid, nor do I move over three lanes at the drop of a hat. Out here people tailgate at 85 mph next to concrete barriers with no shoulder... You don't drive timid and survive.

So you dont literally wake up expecting your bird to be dead? You were just exaggerating. I assumed you meant what you said... my bad. Worrying is fine but assuming the worse isnt. Glad to know you didnt mean thats what you actually did.

Most Reactions