Do you let your birds groom your eyelashes?

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Georgie and Gilbert have both been eyelash preeners. I generally discourage it because I wear mascara most every day. (Miraculously, I have Gilbert basically trained not to chew my earrings!! Yay. He does like chewing sunglasses though!!)

Yours only chews them?! My GW has bitten a couple of pair of plastic ones IN HALF!

She will also, from time to time, grab my glasses and fling them off my face precisely because she WANTS to do my eyes for me. When she finishes one, she grabs my nose with her beak, turns my head, and does the other one...

And as far as "evil" macaw behaviors go, I'll take this one, and just buy cheap sunglasses...

ruffledfeathers

Aug 23, 2012
Media
NJ
Parrots
Gilbert Oliver, Blue Crown Conure; Georgie, Sun Conure (2/8/01-8/8/12) RIP little girl; Percy, budgie 1993-1999. RIP Pepito-spanish timbrado canary
Georgie and Gilbert have both been eyelash preeners. I generally discourage it because I wear mascara most every day. (Miraculously, I have Gilbert basically trained not to chew my earrings!! Yay. He does like chewing sunglasses though!!)

Yours only chews them?! My GW has bitten a couple of pair of plastic ones IN HALF!

She will also, from time to time, grab my glasses and fling them off my face precisely because she WANTS to do my eyes for me. When she finishes one, she grabs my nose with her beak, turns my head, and does the other one...

And as far as "evil" macaw behaviors go, I'll take this one, and just buy cheap sunglasses...

HA!! Thank God he only chews. I say no and move his face away, but my sunglasses are prescription (otherwise i would never pay hundreds for sunglasses!) I am so lazy about going to the eye doctor for a new prescription, i'd be a little messed up if he broke them! :p

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Between the two macaws and the one amazon, I probably go through 3 pair of sunglasses a year. The zon chews on them. The macaws throw them or break them.

I replace a lot of T-Shirts too...

thekarens

Sep 29, 2013
I wear prescription glasses so no, I don't let my guys anywhere near my eyes. Sammie, my sennie does like to preen the back of my head since my hair is short.

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
Senegal-Martini,1 pineapple conure~ Kahlua,1 GCC~ Flare, spl/b, 4 Lovebirds Halo,Tye-Die,Luna,Violet,8 Cockatiels,Num Num&Tundra,8-Ball&Angus,Magnet&Sunkist,Pearl, Blush, 1 gouldian finch, 7 canaries
I did for the first time today, I came home with a smashing headache after taking Num Num in for his latest beak grooming. I laid down for a while, with Nummies near me, the next thing I know he's pruning my eyelashes....it tickled!!....and he was soooo gentle

bob1

Jul 21, 2013
California
Parrots
Chico the Cinnamon Green Conure and Malik the Congo African Grey
If Chico cared enough to preen anything else other than his wings I would let him.

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
Maybe you should preen him and show him how. Preening works both ways, give and take.

OP
Macaw_nutty

Macaw_nutty

Oct 19, 2013
Washington
Parrots
Blue and Gold Macaw- Marquis de Sade
Budgie- Kira Sky
Thank you everyone for your replies! I'm really enjoying all the different points of view on this topic. As for myself, I think I'll generally discourage the eye area... Don't want the Marquis thinking that's ok all the time.

I'll keep ya posted on what I find out gender-wise :)

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
Heart wings is pretty much a male cockatiel only kind of thing that a few female tiels have also picked up on. In other species, females may spread their wings out to form a "platform" for the males during mating, although macaws generally mate side by side.

It's probably not a good idea to allow birds to preen our eye lashes, but I'd prefer them to preen my eyelashes than my mouth! And have had two conures preening my face at once. Not so easy to see when one is trying to preen my face and the other has his butt in my face! :rolleyes:

QuakerMom

Jun 21, 2013
USA
Parrots
One Quaker- Piper
Lol everyone's posts crack me up!

Piper is allowed to preen my hair and she likes to lick my face. She tries to lick my eyelids where my eye liner is but I always stop her.. not sure what's in the liner but she doesn't need to eat it!
She seems confused by eye lashes and eyebrows. She will gently preen my hair but when she gets to lashes or brows she will start out gentle but pretty soon she grabs a beak full and RIP! Oowww. Needless to say she is not allowed to help me pluck any hair LOL.

Most Reactions

Latest posts