Do your birds like swings?

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
Just a fun topic to discuss:) Kiwi, of course, is a swing connoisseur and loves everything that moves beneath his scaly feet (swing, boings, branches/ropes mounted in such a way they move ext...). I think because he cannot fly he takes great pleasure in his ability to climb and balance (or crawl upside down in the middle of his boing and swing around like a nut:rolleyes:). On the opposite end of the spectrum, not a one of my parents 3 birds will go anywhere near a swing. A swing in one of their cages or the bird area is like a big dust collector/poop magnet. Literally half of Kiwi's standing surfaces are swings/moving and he's always all over them acting like a big green goofball. It's kind of funny how polar opposite birds can be on this "issue". So where do your birds fall with swings? Love em or hate em?

Last edited:

Amanda_Bennett

Sep 27, 2014
Gresham, OR
Parrots
Zilla 29 Y.O. Orange Wing Amazon
Zilla doesn't care for much of anything that moves under her feet. She does play on the boing in the window now, but won't use her swing inside her cage at all.

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
GREAT thread idea, April!! :D

Sam is much like Kiwi, if it moves, it's awesome. The more it moves, the jollier the Sam. :54: And if he isn't swinging, he's hanging upside down on something.

Niko loves swings, too. Even though he doesn't have a true swing in his cage, he does have a boing, which he uses quite frequently. On the java trees he loves hanging out on a true rope swing, and gets a kick out of me actually swinging him around wildly.

Hunter uses her swing only when she's in the mood for it, and Ripley isn't too overly crazy about moving perches, but he does enjoy hanging and playing upside down. :)

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Sally is the only bird I've got that does...

And swings are dangerous around Tusk... because his idea of playing on a swing is to hang upside down like a bat, take one end of it, and then drop it down violently with his beak just to make it bang...

Which often results in the swing firing back at him, and conking him on the beak or the head...

(I THOUGHT CAGS WERE SUPPOSED TO BE SMART... !!!)

Ann333

Jan 8, 2015
New Mexico
Parrots
--PUMPKIN - male YS GCC. Hatched Halloween Day 2014. Came home Jan. 4, 2015. Started talking in July '15!

-BUTTERNUT- female TYS GCC Hatched in late Jan. 2016 and came home March 14, 2016
Pumpkin loves his metal and dowel swing and he loves his boing. But he really is unsure about a dowel swing that hangs from twine. It moves alot and he starts to get angry with it and bites it because it wont hold still lol... silly bird

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Now i don't have a single bird that doesn't love his or her boing... And they all have one.

SoCalWendy

Jun 29, 2013
Kihei, Hawaii
Parrots
None at the moment
Rio isn't in to her swing, but she loves orbs, boings, and other items she can hang off of. She has even used her beak while on her boing to push off of her cage to get it to swing... But using a regular forget it. Kiwi love anything that moves. She loves her swing. She has two swings in her cage and a triangle swing above her cage as well as a sisle mat that also swings. She also loves to hang upside down, all content an bat like. :)

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
Talking about swings, not brings. It seems to me the older they get, the less they play on the swings. Yes some seem to play on then more than others. Jake used to play on swings a lot Thirty years ago but not as much now days.

LeaKP

Aug 11, 2014
Media
South Africa
Parrots
Congo African Grey
Haha! Peep doesn't swing on his swing - he pushes the swing...strange little bird. But, it's cute!

getwozzy

Feb 26, 2013
Oregon
Chili doesn't care for swings- every time I try to give her one she looks at me like I'm an idiot [emoji57] but she does love her boing and suspended play gyms that have a gentle sway and movement when she climbs on them.

The budgies love their swing- Lemon in particular is always swinging on a little plastic swing. They also love their boing.

Bandit I don't yet- he's still a newbie....he has a snuggle swing that he has yet to even touch, but he sings at it (he loves fabric lol).

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Starting with Robin, he LOVES his swing. He hasn't had one for a while, so I finally got him a ScooterZ one.. SS frame which comes apart to refill with beads, blocks, wicker balls, plastic shapes, etc. I don't see him swinging back and forth on it, more just sitting on it chewing on the aforementioned adornments. If I swing it for him, he seems to like it just fine. He also sits on his boing a lot which is right outside his cage. He doesn't seem to mind when I move or stretch the boing to bounce it with him on it :).

Raven and Griffin have a large three sided swing (triangle base) right outside Raven's cage.
Raven just sits still on it, or chews on the coconut wood (which is almost gone) on the 3 suspension arms made of bamboo and coconut shell.

Griffin on the other hand...:D:D He will hang upside down on that triangle swing by gripping onto one of the 3 tassels dangling from the bottom with his feet. He will flap and move his body wildly until he gets it going and swinging as much as he can! He's my most primate-like by far :). He also LEAPS (not fly) through the air and jumps with both feet. It's hilarious! I've never seen a parrot do that.

Twigs the Budgie has a swing that doesnt really move, but he likes it as a perch and plays with his toys on it. He also insists on sleeping on the top of a ladder style swing (top is a small arch made of beads). Doesn't look very comfortable to me!

Last edited:
OP
Kiwibird

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
Strange how they either seem to love it or hate it. Wonder what makes the difference for them?

Kiwi definitely plays on them, but he also seems to prefer resting/napping on them too. I would be rather sure he never had one before he lived with us. I never bought one because my parents birds hated them so much and figured it would be a waste of $$$ But his first play stand had a branch come loose and boy did he love it, so I added a swing and after a little initial trepidation on the movement, he started really getting good with his acro-bird-ics (get it:D). I've wanted one of those orbs for him for a while, but theres just not room to put one. His stuff already takes up a good 1/4 of our living room and blocks the view. Not enough room for more spoilage of the parrot:p

Last edited:

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
Great idea for a thread, April!

My budgies love the swing Shirre made for them and they have a little plastic swing that gets a lot of use.

Poppy couldn't sleep at night without her fleece swing and I hang it outside her cage to play on during the day.

The quakers will not put a foot on anything that moves except me, shoulders are acceptable.

Sweet Pea sleeps in her orb and she loves to play in her swing that Shirre made.

4dugnlee

Apr 27, 2014
Ohio
Parrots
Sassy - 13 y.o. Blue Front Amazon, Cisco - 6 y.o. Sun Conure, Peanut - 8 y.o. U2
Fred - 2(?) y.o. Cockatiel, Ginger - 3 or 4(?) y.o. Cockatiel
Cisco...yes; Peanut and Sassy...no!..lol

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
The only bird that currently likes a swing is my Goffin Squeaky. He perches on it while sleeping, but really doesn't try to induce motion.

Alice the female Citron had a swing that went unused, so she recently unscrewed the attachment and sent it unceremoniously to the cage bottom!

Most Reactions

Latest posts