so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
How can I safely get Bingo and Luna together?

I could tell from day 1 that Luna was interested in Bingo.
Bingo was also interested in Luna but not as much.

The first time Luna came out of her cage she ended up climbing on the side of Bingos cage. Bingo was going to try and collect a few toes but I got there first.

I have had both birds out of there cage at the same time twice. First time was on top of the cages. Luna was on the tree stand and bingo was on a perch attached to the cage. Bingo was a bit unhappy but not bad. His tail was slightly flared and he was hissing a little but his eyes were not pinning and tail not fully deployed.

Yesterday I had bingo with me in the recliner (on my chest) and Luna flew and landed on the chair back. I had expected Bingo to climb up and chase her away but instead he retreated and went to stand on my leg.

After a bit I put Bingo back in his cage. Luna flew to me and landed on the recliner’s arm rest. From there she went and stood my chest for a while 😊.

Eventually she ended up on top of Bingo’s cage on the far end from her cage. While Bingo was in his box (looking out) Luna traversed the width of Bingos cage in full view of Bingo to get to her cage and go back in. I fully expected the have to intervene to keep Lunas toes attached to her feet. Bingo never moved.

I think these 2 will be able to get along with each other but I want to do it in easy stages without risking injury to ether bird.
Any tips on how to proceed from here will be appreciated.
:green1:
FYI
This is not for breeding just companionship.
I think they would both be happier together than separate.

Texsize

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
If this can be done, Wes, you can do it!!

It has been literally decades since I combined two Amazons! Gonzo was my first bird, a male BFA, and within a year or so we obtained Sally, a female BFA. IIRC we introduced both in a neutral setting, keeping them within visual sight and progressively reduced the separation. They were keenly interested and eventually stood together on the same playstand. Within days they were in the same cage, sans nest box. (no breeding intended) All was well for a year or so, when Gonzo began to attack. We tried some mediation, placing them together in a different cage for a while, but there was bad blood, leading to a permanent separation.

I wonder if waiting a bit longer will be helpful? Luna is fairly new, but you'll know best having plenty of Amazon experience!

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
The only time I had had to deal with two 'zon's in one household was when my friend Mariann lived with me a spell. She had Shainna,a (at the time) a 30-something year old DYH.
Both Shainna's and Amy's house's were in close proximity,and at that time I didn't know Amy was really Amos in disguise. Shainna was definitely a she,having laid egg's in her life.

Long story short,Mariann had to let her daughter take Shainna coz she was driving Amy bonkers! Amy became aggressive with me and Mariann,eyes always flashing,all poofed up with tail out and strutting her (his) stuff.and gabbering away in Amazon speak. As soon as Shainna was out of the picture,Amy reverted back to his usual sweetness.

Not sure if hormones had anything to do with it or not.
That doesn't seem to be the case with Bingo and Luna though Wes.
Reads to me that Luna wants to be pal's with Bingo,and Bingo is mildly interested.
I think you have a good chance of having this work. Bingo has lived in the same household with other 'zon's and got a long.

Maybe clip Luna(just once,and let her sleeves come back in after molt) so she can't get to Bingo,without your help..or make her a pair of steel-toed shoes? :rolleyes:

Jim

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Please understand that we are both very knowledgeable Amazon People and that much I am going to state, we both know! I am presenting this response based on those others who are also likely reading this Post and just as a check box for you and I.

As we know, this can be anywhere from love at first sight to an all out war! With any level of accord or lack there of between those to end posts.

With great luck, the war has 'yet to begin!' This allows time to set some boundaries into place and evaluate what the Pecking Order is now and to watch for any signs of it quickly changing.

Yesterday, you placed yourself in the center of a possible battlefield, in which you where not in a position to react quickly to protect yourself or either of the two Amazons. It becomes near impossible to react when one is reclined (or sitting with both Amazons on you) and not able to see both Amazons at the same time. We know just how quickly things can spin-up in the Wonderful World of Amazons - moments!

Even thou, we are nearing the end of Amazon Hormonal Season. The combination of this time of year, a new Amazon (family member), and an existing Pecking Order, which is now under reconsideration; near anything can happen. Being able to read the body language of both Amazons is our only hope of keeping things under control and everyone relatively safe.

As our Good Friend, Birdman666, has long presented: The need to have at close hand either Mr. Towel, Mr. Pillow or both is extremely important. The ability to distract either or both at a moments notice can greatly reduce the letting of blood!

- And as stated above; Boundaries are needed for everyone's protection and since Bingo understands the working boundaries of the home. You will need to work with Luna to help her come-up to speed. It would be advisable to do this so as Bingo can watch either from his cage or a safe distance from where you are working with Luna.

- Special time with Bingo! As we know, the most common error that newbies make is not providing the longtime family member with their due time! Failure to not provide special and intense one-on-one time is one of the fastest ways of causing problems between the two Amazons! My preference is that this should occur separate from where Luna is as a means of you garnering 100% of Bingo's attention. With time move on too:

- Transitioning separate -to- shared together (family) time is the goal of any process. The Human keeping in mind that even thou it is shared time, that time truly needs to be equally shared. The individual that believes that the Amazons are not keep track of just how much time one is getting over the other is setting themselves up for a major falling-out!

- At best, any relationship is a balancing act in which all members work for that balance. That said, the Amazons are going to be watching you regarding that point. Any 'on-going' shift will be picked-up on and possible reacted too! Peace in the Amazon World exists when everyone understands the Pecking Order!

- There is always the possibility of you and other members of the family become the odd ones out!!! IF the Amazons elect to have a strong relationship, the Humans could be pushed totally outside of the Pecking Order and one could end up with have Two Amazons against the Humans!!!

- Always take great care when Hormonal Season comes around each year as Males can become very protective to a level of harming the Female Amazon. Always, be prepared to separate!

- Natural Hard Wired Forces are at work here and it is the watchfulness of us Humans that will allow there to be an accord and not a war! The moment, we slip in our responsibilities will spell the return of their Natural reactions. We need to remember that these two Amazon Species would see each other as deadly intruders in their Natural Settings!!!

*** Wes, your understand of Bingo and gaining knowledge of Luna will be your greatest tools in allow this to happen peacefully!

Enjoy!

Sorry Jim, we had clearly been Posting at the same time!

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts