Does anyone have an Aquarium? Want to chat about it?

OP
theocnoob

theocnoob

Nov 5, 2011
Another great bunch of 10G ideas that came to me. Have you ever kept 'cloud' minnows?

Here are Gold white clouds

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mmLwpqKSZk"]Standard, Longfin and Golden Longfin White Cloud Mountain Minnows - YouTube[/ame]

Here are Black cloud minnows

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVuX1vwAxh4&feature=related]Tanichthys albonubes - YouTube[/ame]

And the Impossibly graceful and stunning Galaxy Rasbora (AKA spotted and micro rasbora and 10 other things :( PITA to explain to people what you are after)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kC8THQ6w268&feature=results_main&playnext=1&list=PL46387241AC05EA88]Galaxy Rasbora @ Sweet Knowle Aquatics - YouTube[/ame]

ALL shrimp/snail/plant safe. Easy to care for. The rasboras must be acclimated to the new water with care.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=lDXi3JvSZrs"]Meine Nannostomus mortenthaleri - YouTube[/ame]

Stunning coral pencilfish (excellent for a 30 gallon in a big group. you CAN keep them in a 10G. It's literally the minimum and IMO too tight for them. Some small fish want big room. Some big fish want small room)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ia4D6nMtF3M&feature=related"]ゴールデンハニードワーフグラミー 接写 - YouTube[/ame]
One honey gouami (big fish here) and a group of male endler guppies (seen here) and shrimp. All in a 10G. It can be done. Note the hornwort. You'd literally need a big piece of that in the low flow corner for the gouarmi, a log for the shimp, some rocks, and the endlers. And black sand from the pet shop ($5). And shrimp Bam. Gorgeous tank.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Gu3sps5DMw"]SOLD: Black Copper Dragon Halfmoon Plakat Pair - YouTube[/ame]
Or maybe a high end Plakatt betta from a breeder and white cloud minnows?

Use a test kit and make sure the tank is properly cycled and reading low nitrate and zero ammonia and nitrite before you make any changes

:DRemember that when you buy many of these, they are sold to you as a 1" juvenile that looks drab. It is your excellent care and food and attention to maintaining proper condition that will build the gorgeous colors you see. Or you buy adult fish. Most people like to watch them grow up. :D

If you are in US/CANADA Big Als is USUALLY trustworthy although I feel some locations are sub par. in the UK you have Maidenhead Aquatics, which is among the BEST in the world. Lucky Brits!!

Last edited:
OP
theocnoob

theocnoob

Nov 5, 2011
Dear Mods: My PM is broken. I can only send 2 lines of text or it does not send

Andrea:
Your sand mixture gas is hydrogen sulphide. It's advisable to have burrowerers like a larger group of assassin snails. Typically unless mishandled or stirred up by hand, those bubbles wont happen in a big way. You DO see small ones coming up and in a loose sand bottom tank when I rake it twice a week tiny bubbles DO come up and large quantities of it ARE dangerous to fish AND you. A basketball size bubble directly inhaled could knock you out cold or even cause death. The odds are 1/10,000 it'd have to pop right in your mouth and you'd have to swallow it but the threat is very real. It's just like... You're about as likely to be hit by lightning sort of idea. Usually we just see little tiny bubbles like when you open a soda when raking for bubbles and these do not harm the fish only the huge ones and again only if they 'inhale') If you're that wary, just use a fin(er) black gravel. One for plants if possible. The sand is far from necessary. Don't do things that are going to worry you. The aquarium is for peace and calm reflection. Not to say 'Will these fight? Is this sand safe? etc' :)

A sand and rock mix does not solve this problem. Hydrogen sulfide bubbles can occur any time in any aquarium where there has been a deadzone long enough for anaerobic bacteria to propogate in a no or low/flow and oxygen area, like under a rock, or sand. The hydrogen sufide gas is the trapped waste product from the activity of these bacteria. It's normal and by no means should you be moving logs and rocks around now and then to find them. Once you have your aquascape you leave it for years and if its planted you just pick out the garbage and do water changes and keep your filters running. :)

Last edited:
OP
theocnoob

theocnoob

Nov 5, 2011
Tried to send a PM again but wont let me. Wanted to say it is better to find your areas AQUARIUM CLUB on google. They will direct you to the best prices and often breed either what you are looking for or something ideal for you.

I am prone to suggest rare fish not carried at many petco/petsmart etc etc. IE- you will NOT find a quality Plakatt betta at a petshop.. if you do at all. Ditto for black clouds (they will ask WHAT IS THAT). Common white cloud are easy to find and SURPRISINGLY gorgeous to watch and they do the batwing just like black clouds.

Direct from breeder has infinite advantages:
Cheaper
Better quality fish and can see parents
Illness free is 99.999999% guaranteed
get the best advice on care and food
develop a relationship and receive free stuff down the line
(A breeder I was friends with FULLY planted my 3 foot tank for me as a thank you for sending her WAY cheaper plastic plants)

Last edited:
OP
theocnoob

theocnoob

Nov 5, 2011
Andrea: Would you mind if we talk here? My PM reply service does not work, and since we are simply discussing sourcing fish it isn't PM worthy :) hope you do not mind.

It is wonderful your local store has these in stock. Now you can go for it if either of them tickle your fancy. Make sure they look healhy just like any fish before buying.
Do you own a heater? Do they sell hornwort, java wood, and anubias or java fern?

What specifically did this store near you have in stock? He may even have stuff in stock I haven't mentioned that'd be ideal for you like bumblebee shrimp. Any chance you can get his stock list and post it? :D Sounds like a good store if he is carrying such uncommon fish. Means he cares about fish not $ as those often sell poorly to people who just don't get how neat they are. Does he have those Nerite snails? Shrimp? (I'm such a curious annoying person about animals)

BTW before we were talking about sand. Don't get it if it scares you but I have had many sand tanks and never 1 issue. I always add burrower snails like this assassin and rabbit snail pair. They stir it up for you. Still, it isn't an issue. Keep the sand to 1 inch or so thick if you go sand. Gravel 1.5 just because too much poop etc gets buried deep down there and can add to the bioload as it breaks down.

http://s110.photobucket.com/albums/n88/111olbap/?action=view&current=SNALE333.mp4

Remember rocks can change your PH. I suggest granite, mexican/black beach pebble, as those two alter pH not at all. That's what I mostly use. In the video that is grey granite on Nepheline Syenite pool filter sand.
Also remember you can have a planted tank with sand bottom. Just use Java fern and Anubias tied to wood or rocks instead of planting :)

PS please tell me your heater and filter brand and type

Last edited:

lene1949

Sep 26, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Parrots
Cory: Short billed Corella -
Echo: Galah -
Max: Alexandrine -
Skye: Yellow Sided conure -
Luka: Green Cheek Conure -
RIP Shrek: Quaker
Why do I suddenly feel that I need an aquarium???

Most Reactions

Latest posts