does anyone know how to make a minature aviary

cockatielfan17

Nov 20, 2011
i want to make a small aviary that could fit a couple sun conures. Maybe 4 feet width and 3 feet length. Dont know if that will be to small, but can u give me some ideas, on how to make the cage and the door and stuff like that?

IcyWolf

Jul 5, 2011
Etters, Pa
Parrots
~Alexandrine Parakeet~2 Red Lored Amazons~Blue Fronted Amazon~Black capped conure~4 Green Cheeks~4 Parrotlets~2 lineolated parakeets~9 American budgies~9 English budgies~ And lots of babies :)
I'm usually all for DIY projects in an effort to save money but it would probably be cheaper just to buy a flight cage like this one. They make them in all different sized and they are usually quite affordable, they guy we got one of our cages and our amazons from had a nice one for sale for only $75.
Prevue Hendryx Flight Cage in Black | Wayfair

OP
C

cockatielfan17

Nov 20, 2011
found this vid shows how to make a cage. Can anyone explain how to make the cage i dont understand one bit of it
thanks
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQF_2JA7jQE&feature=related]How to make your own bird cage or mini aviary - YouTube[/ame]

IcyWolf

Jul 5, 2011
Etters, Pa
Parrots
~Alexandrine Parakeet~2 Red Lored Amazons~Blue Fronted Amazon~Black capped conure~4 Green Cheeks~4 Parrotlets~2 lineolated parakeets~9 American budgies~9 English budgies~ And lots of babies :)
That seemed pretty self explanatory to me, but I have a few years of wood working and cage building under my belt(I used to make custom reptile cages, I'll try and get some pics and post them at some point). Honestly, the cost to make that, especially if you have to buy any tools, is going to be about the same, if not more than just buying a flight cage. And at least if you buy one you don't have to worry about replacing chewed up wood or possible metal poisoning.

IcyWolf

Jul 5, 2011
Etters, Pa
Parrots
Wanted to elaborate on the metal poisoning comment, not all galvanized metal(including wire and screws) is safe for parrots Zinc and its Danger to Parrots

IcyWolf

Jul 5, 2011
Etters, Pa
Parrots
Don't sell yourself short! Anyone can do it if you have the right tools and a good teacher. I do have a great idea though, you're in high school, right? Is there a wood shop class you can take? I made one of my smaller(still pretty big but smaller than the ones I made on my own) cages as a project for my class. The nice thing was, I got to make something I really wanted to make anyway, and got high school credit for it, plus, since it was wood purchased through the school, I only had to pay for the finished wood. I don't know if all schools are like this, but at mine, when you made a project you were charged only for the wood you actually used in your project, unlike going to a home depot where you are buying the entire board, and whatever scrap is left over is your own loss. Then you would have professional grade tools at your disposal, an instructor right there to help you and you get the cage you want!

OP
C

cockatielfan17

Nov 20, 2011
never thought of that thanks so much im still in 9th grade dont know whatgrade i will be able to take it but i will try as soon as possible

lene1949

Sep 26, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Parrots
Cory: Short billed Corella -
Echo: Galah -
Max: Alexandrine -
Skye: Yellow Sided conure -
Luka: Green Cheek Conure -
RIP Shrek: Quaker
Maybe your parents can help you.... They wouldn't have been able to breed all the birds they did, without having them in aviaries...???

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
If you don't already have the tools, I think I'd buy the flight cage as well. I have a full wood shop because of remodeling my old house, and building furniture. And IcyWolf is right about them chewing the wood, and trying to find screening that isn't zinc coated or galvanized. You will have to remove the coating from it.

OP
C

cockatielfan17

Nov 20, 2011
Maybe your parents can help you.... They wouldn't have been able to breed all the birds they did, without having them in aviaries...???

they did but i asked the not to help me. Im trying to get my own equipment and my own knowledge. When i start building they will help but first, i have to get some materials on my own and that i dont understand. My parents have all the equipments, drills saws, and all of that stuff so all i need is to buy the wood and wire and stuff.

Last edited:

Most Reactions