does anyone macaw lay like this

mxdeanmay

Jun 11, 2012
Media
uk
my macaw dose this every day and some time she will lay on her back is this what macaw do I have 2 macaw and she the only one that does this
227760_10151351120773966_2127076280_n.jpg

306649_10151351121578966_776199700_n.jpg

WharfRat

Jul 3, 2012
Central Tx
Parrots
2 Bolivian Green Wings-ReaRea & Miri,
2 Yellow Naped 'Zons- Shiloh & Halo,
Hahn's Macaw-Kalani
yep, one of mine does it all the time, but mainly only on me or the wife. :)

Alisana

May 31, 2012
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Yuki - Snow white budgie; Luna - Blue budgie; Pocket - Hahn's Macaw
My friend's GW does it when he's playing on the couch. Normally rolls on his back with a toy though. :p

Big Blues

May 22, 2011
I have taught our Hy to roll over on her back on the carpet or bed to play. She just loves it when I play with her feet. :)

plax

Banned
Banned
Jun 29, 2012
United States
Parrots
'Jack' (Blue & Gold),
'Maynard' (Military),
'Zaffer' (Hyacinth),
'Salsa' (Green-wing)
Both Salsa and Zaffer roll onto their backs and play all the time.

Turquoise

Banned
Banned
Oct 23, 2012
West Texas
Parrots
2 Male Catalina Macaws~Roscoe & Angel, 1 Female Green Wing Macaw~Ruby Jewel, 1 Female Solomon Island Eclectus~Leyla Belle, 1 female Pineapple Green Cheek Conure~Peta, 8 Budgies
Roscoe doesn't play on his back yet. He will sometimes lean about half way when we are playing in my lap, but he doesn't like it if I try to get him to lay on his back. Guess he is one that doesn't like it. I can get him to lay upside down when he is on my arm & I tilt him downward. He will stay for a few seconds & then wants up, but he is learning.

When I get Ruby Jewel home, we will see if she likes to play on her back.

Cami

Mar 24, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Parrots
9 1/2 yr old B&G, Spencer. 15 1/2 yr old Indian Ringneck, Edmund.
Spencer will roll over on anything soft, like a pile of clothes on the floor, blanket on the bed. I bought faux satin sheets for the summer here he loves them.

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
Considering that she's also pulling her tail feathers, it looks like it's her way to masturbate!!! LOL Odd bird...

My mitred conure also pulls his tail feathers, but only when he's sitting on a perch.

94lt1

Nov 9, 2012
SouthEast TX
Parrots
Monte..Scarlet macaw, Seminole...yellow napped amazon, Starburst... sun conure...Rain, cinnamon green cheek.
My scarlet will do this... when he's dang good and ready lol. But he does it.

plax

Banned
Banned
Jun 29, 2012
United States
Parrots
'Jack' (Blue & Gold),
'Maynard' (Military),
'Zaffer' (Hyacinth),
'Salsa' (Green-wing)
Considering that she's also pulling her tail feathers, it looks like it's her way to masturbate!!!
That doesn't necessarily mean they're trying to masturbate. Sometimes their tails become so crowded with feather shafts and thus uncomfortable that stretching/pulling their tail feathers forward serves as a method to relieve the discomfort. Zaf often pulls a group of his tail feathers forward and over the perch he's on then just sits there calmly for long periods.

(Edit: I should have said, "forward and/or to the side")

Last edited:

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
That doesn't necessarily mean they're trying to masturbate. Sometimes their tails become so crowded with feather shafts and thus uncomfortable that stretching/pulling their tail feathers forward serves as a method to relieve the discomfort. Zaf often pulls a group of his tail feathers forward and over the perch he's on then just sits there calmly for long periods.

That doesn't exactly make sense to me... lol

A birds tail feathers are located right above their cloaca, so when they pull their tail feathers, they put pressure on their cloaca. When I've seen this behavior, it's typically followed with some sort of noise that the bird typically doesn't make throughout the rest of the day... although, I would guess that not all of them would make noise when doing it! :rolleyes:

If only we could get into their brains to really figure them out... but then, some of the things might frighten me! :eek: lol well, it might be awkward, in the least! Especially if you have an overly hormonal bird! LOL

plax

Banned
Banned
Jun 29, 2012
United States
Parrots
'Jack' (Blue & Gold),
'Maynard' (Military),
'Zaffer' (Hyacinth),
'Salsa' (Green-wing)

That doesn't exactly make sense to me... lol

A birds tail feathers are located right above their cloaca, so when they pull their tail feathers, they put pressure on their cloaca. When I've seen this behavior, it's typically followed with some sort of noise that the bird typically doesn't make throughout the rest of the day... although, I would guess that not all of them would make noise when doing it! :rolleyes:
That may be so... but I think you're speculating a bit from there, Monica ;)

I assure you that Zaf is not stimulating himself sexually when he's draping his tail feathers over his perches. His tail base becomes quite crowded when new feathers are emerging and thus it's a very painful experience for him. That's precisely when he struggles to relieve the discomfort. I can easily discern his behavior in this regard from avian masturbatory efforts, since I've witnessed plenty of those as well in my time :)

Last edited:

gemini84

Oct 27, 2012
north qld, Australia
Parrots
alexandrines : Oxy, Bruno, prince (was princess)
i cant help on this issue,but seeing all these beautiful macaws justlaying on their backs and sides like my cat is doing right now serioudly makes me want one. although i dont think i could as i have a respectful fear of that very large beak and they are soooooo expensive here in australia, but they are beautiful

Most Reactions